Packing List & Weight Critique Needed

Howdy.

Can I get a sanity check on my archery elk packing list and pack weight? Lighterpack link below.

I’m a UL backpacker heading out for first elk hunt this Sept.

What am I missing? What could I cut?

Base weight currently sits at ~29 lbs.

https://lighterpack.com/r/105smy

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Where's your hunt planned? And are you going solo or with someone?

It looks like a pretty solid list overall. It's impressive to sleep only on the z-lite. I like the inflatable pad comfort too much.

My nitpicking critiques would be:
  • 14oz for a first aid kit seems heavy. Are there things you can cut out of there to get the weight cut in half?
  • Depending on where you're hunting, you could ditch the radio if you'll be within cell service
  • A piece of Tyvek or a small tarp (6x8, 7x9) wouldn't be a bad addition so you'd have somewhere to put meat, or prop up to get out of the sun during the day.

JohnB

WKR
You can find tripods that are totally reasonable for binos and a light spotter that are much closer to 2 lbs. I've got a used Vortex Summit ss-p that is in that neighborhood I'd sell you for cheap. Also add me to the list of being impressed you can just sleep on a z rest. I'd go without a tent before leaving my xtherm at home.

TaperPin

WKR
You’re gonna be hungry :)

Depending on where you’re going, you probably want some light weight rain pants. In September I’ve hunted a week straight with rain every day. Another trip a front went through with rain and hail day one which was really cold, solid rain day two and finally clearing up day three. Anytime there is moisture and wind of any kind it makes for a miserable time in the mountains if you’re always wet.

Last edited:

fngTony

AI powered Moderator
Staff member
I think you have a typo with your Sitka dewpoint top, mine is about 11oz and you have it at 1.25lbs?

Seems heavy for a first aid kit. It’s obviously a personal preference, but depending on the area, I’d op for bear spray over a pistol and save 1.5#.

Amazon has a tripod that is fine for binos and weighs 1# for like $100.

I’ve never needed bug spray in September in the mountains but that is area dependent. More likely to need sun screen.

OP
T
Where's your hunt planned? And are you going solo or with someone?

It looks like a pretty solid list overall. It's impressive to sleep only on the z-lite. I like the inflatable pad comfort too much.

My nitpicking critiques would be:
  • 14oz for a first aid kit seems heavy. Are there things you can cut out of there to get the weight cut in half?
  • Depending on where you're hunting, you could ditch the radio if you'll be within cell service
  • A piece of Tyvek or a small tarp (6x8, 7x9) wouldn't be a bad addition so you'd have somewhere to put meat, or prop up to get out of the sun during the day.
Thanks!

Hunt is NM - unit 53 with a buddy that drew the unit.

The radio might come out. Won’t be within cell service…and don’t know if repeaters will be reachable.

Will most def go back through the first aid kit to trim down

I like the tyvek idea.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I love using my tripod/bino combo but I leave the tripod at the truck when elk hunting. Unlike deer, it's generally not hard to find them at a distance (don't need to pick apart terrian with the same detail) and I can easily find a good enough rest to judge the animal.

In your kit, that's a 3.8lb weight savings.

anyhow, food for thought

OP
T
I think you have a typo with your Sitka dewpoint top, mine is about 11oz and you have it at 1.25lbs?
Hmm…..good catch. I think it came to 12.5oz on the scale. Will check.
Howdy.

Can I get a sanity check on my archery elk packing list and pack weight? Lighterpack link below.

I’m a UL backpacker heading out for first elk hunt this Sept.

What am I missing? What could I cut?

Base weight currently sits at ~25 lbs.

https://lighterpack.com/r/105smy

I love using my tripod/bino combo but I leave the tripod at the truck when elk hunting. Unlike deer, it's generally not hard to find them at a distance (don't need to pick apart terrian with the same detail) and I can easily find a good enough rest to judge the animal.

In your kit, that's a 3.8lb weight savings.

anyhow, food for thought
Much appreciated, Ron!

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Instead of a tripod, I have found that looping the handles of your trekking poles over each other and crossing in an X. gives you a bino bipod AND impromptu shooting sticks. Quickly adjustable and maneuverable over a tripod I'm able to get pretty dam steady with the crossed poles...// I would also look into adding a tarp, tyvek or even a military poncho ( that's what I run, single layer of ripstop nylon works as a meat barrier from the ground, glassing shelter, meat shade producer, ECT.)

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
First of all, you do you. With that said, these would be some of my adjustments for my needs:

Add ground sheet (I use Tyvek)
Ditch multi-tool in kill kit but consider small allen wrenches to fit bow
Add a lightweight EDC knife, my preference being the benchmade bugout
Ditch extra batteries for range finder, start with fresh ones installed
Borrow someone else lighter tripod or go without and use trekking poles for stability
Add bladder for dirty water to attach the Sawyer to. Add another for when the first blows out
Add sleeping pad, ditch Z-lite
Ditch one of the spoons
Can't speak for the location you are headed but I would ditch the bug dope
Trim the first aid kit, should weigh half that IMO, add chapstick just in case
Ditch the radio unless you have a plan to use frequently with hunting partner
Ditch the pistol and ammo
Ditch short-sleeve shirt. Wear lightweight long sleeve whole time
Add Garmin Inreach

MTHokie

FNG
Instead of a tripod, I have found that looping the handles of your trekking poles over each other and crossing in an X. gives you a bino bipod AND impromptu shooting sticks. Quickly adjustable and maneuverable over a tripod I'm able to get pretty dam steady with the crossed poles...// I would also look into adding a tarp, tyvek or even a military poncho ( that's what I run, single layer of ripstop nylon works as a meat barrier from the ground, glassing shelter, meat shade producer, ECT.)
+1 for the rip stop nylon meatbarrier. You can get some ridiculously lightweight rip stop by the yard at ripstopbytheroll.com. it is lighter, quieter and easier to pack than Tyvek.

Last edited: