Packing your bow

Normally I pack my bow across my shoulders/top of my pack when I’m moving less then 2 miles,anything more and I strap it on the kifaru. I run a nomad with a camp bag, strapping my bow on securely makes for a lot of noisy unbuckling if you stumble on some game. How does everyone pack the bow so it’s secure and quick? This isn’t as big of a deal when I run just the nomad, (1800 cubic inches) , but when I’m packing my house on my back 7-8k cubic inches, it’s an issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bows cam fits perfect in the kifaru gun bearer mounted on back of 44mag and holds solid with one compression strap up high.

In hand while hunting, on the pack when hiking in somewhere. Primos sling if a short walk with lots of glassing.

Montana bow sling. It’s the bomb. Comfort, quick access, and you pack holds all the weight. Let my bud try it for a few days and he’s buying one.

Wapiti1

WKR
In my hand or strapped to my pack. I've tried several of the carry options and none of them work once you get into the timber. Little things like: Climbing over deadfall. Pushing through jack pines, and heavy brush. Working through steep country with sketchy footing.

You'll abandon whatever you try the first couple times a branch catches in the cables of your bow and pulls you off your feet.

The only way I don't have it in my hand is when it is strapped to the back of my pack, or in between the frame and pack where there is less chance of it snagging things or banging the sight off a tree.

Jeremy

marktole

WKR
Cam in the bottom loop of my reckoning bag and strapped on with the compression straps if I’m packing in or out. Otherwise I am with several other guys on here, it’s carried in hand while hunting.

I like it straped to the pack when going in/out in the dark . My grab it works well with the bottom cam and then use 2 straps to hold it real tight. that said I use a sitka cable/sting cover as well. to keep them protected. I carry it the rest of the time. I carried it 8 hours a day last week Elk hunting and I think My arms are longer now LOL!

mtnkid85

WKR
I slip my Kuiu string/cam cover on and strap it to the back of my Exo. Just remember its back there when you sit down against a rock to relax!

TheCougar

WKR
My bows cam fits perfect in the kifaru gun bearer mounted on back of 44mag and holds solid with one compression strap up high.

I tried that for the first time this year and really didn’t like it. Swings too much, gets in the way of the trekking poles, etc. I haven’t found a good way to carry it that protects it, doesn’t impede movement, and is quickly accessible.

Osubuck

FNG
While hunting I carry it but on the walk in or out I have a small loop of paracord tied to the top of my Mystery Ranch pack frame with a small carribiner attached. I then can quickly clip or unclip the carribiner to my bow’s D loop. Bow just rests against my pack.

I've used a Gunbearer for over 10 years when packing and back country hunting a bow. Love it! Try carrying the bow at a out a 60* angle versus very upright as it carries better for me that way. I bought top retainer straps from Kifaru that were 24" long versus the standard length (18" or shorter?) and they allow the bow to carry "flatter". However Kifaru are not offering custom strap lengths right now based on a call last week to order one for a hunting buddy. You could splice in a piece of strap to extend the strap.

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I have a cam/rifle holder on my tenzing pack and it makes it easy to strap down. That being said, I ended up carrying it by hand for the 60 plus miles we did out west. Stuff was just too thick and it kept snagging on branches while it was on my pack. Carrying it by hand is the way I'm going moving forward. Might invest in a nice cover like the KUIU bow kit next season though. Something that's not bulky and doesn't have a strap.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Montana bow sling. It’s the bomb. Comfort, quick access, and you pack holds all the weight. Let my bud try it for a few days and he’s buying one.
Tried the Montana sling this year and it is awesome. Ill never pack my bow in my hand or on my shoulders again.