Pakistan - December 2023

Rad, I’m headed to Tajikistan in November for mid Asian ibex. It’s gonna be cold like I’ve never seen before

That’s a great ibex, what did he tape at? Trying to get a mental reference for what a big mature billy measures. Also what kind of weather did you see, were you in the Pamirs?

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a great ibex, what did he tape at? Trying to get a mental reference for what a big mature billy measures. Also what kind of weather did you see, were you in the Pamirs?
Have yet to put a tape on him, folks say hes in the 40’s, to me its a great ending to a hell of an adventure in Tajik. I hunted in Bhaljuvon (you cut off at Dangara to the left instead of heading straight to Pamirs). More rugged terrain but lower elevation and closer to Dushanbe.

White out conditions for several days, hunt delay because rifle didnt arrive (wasnt comfortable using the rifle at camp). Tons of snow, in fact I got mine on the second to last day during a brief weather window. The guides can climb and will almost carry you to where you can get a shot at a goat. Mine worked really hard, my translator was amazing.

When in the field the guides will set up for lunch/breaks away from the hunter and translator, i always made it a point to sit with them and have them teach me words or at least try to communicate with them. Its all part of the adventure.

PM if you want to discuss some more, it was an epic adventure.

feanor

WKR
All of these hunts should have a write up- even if it’s a short general one. So cool to go out there and have a hunt in these spots.

Pakistan is a great country to hunt. Been there 3 times & plan to go back! I hunted Him ibex in 2014 & came home saying they were the spookiest animals I've ever hunted. (killed a 10 year old 42 inch on day 6) Went back this last March with a friend for a blue sheep/ibex combo & was reminded how tough that ibex hunt can be. He killed a 40 inch 12 yo day 5. I've been told the december rut is way easier as the rut & snow should have the ibex lower. I'll be back wth a buddy this december also & hope to have time for him to try hunt Him ibex.

Suera

FNG
Pakistan is an amazing country for hunt sir. And Himalayan trophy is a lifetime hunt I hope you enjoy it.
But be careful with Shikar... I think this year people will know the true about it, he is losing influence in a lot of Asian countries due to his bad practice.
I recommend you go with a local outfitter it will be cheapest and a better experience and money will go for locals...

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Bumping this one up, taking my .280 and debating on whether to take my spotter or 20x binos to run off the tripod.

Not sure what to expect weather wise so any input would be helpful!

Suera

FNG
December it will be tons of snow, depend the valley you are going to hunt, it will be more or less. If you go to Upper Hunza be prepared to cold temperatures ( -10 -20), if you go to Skardu Region the same... Lower Hunza a little more hot, you have to understand that some areas the ibex in winter are very low , just inside the villages... because the snow is too much for them and them have to go down to look for feed in the surroundings of villages.
My advice is take good down jackets because many time you will be without walk, glassing the animals, also take big gaiters to walk in the snow, and a pant that protect against wet...
Depend the outfitter and local team you go they have big spotter and good binos and you don't need carry anything more than your normal binos... other local team only have small old binos ( but is really amazing how they can find animals ). In conclusion take your 20x vimos and is ok.
Be safe, enjoy your hunt , and take money for tips to local team, not for the outfitter, the outfitter you are going to go is not good, then be sure that the money arrive to the local time giving it by your hand.
If you have more questions only ask, I hunted there many times and I have very good friends.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted quite a bit in Asia, and my blue sheep hunt in Pakistan was probably my best hunt to date. I went in March of 2022, and will likely go back with a group in late 2024 for a northern/southern combo. I had armed security while we were on the Karakorum Highway, which doesn't make you feel nice and cozy. I had no problems, but I also have a fantastic outfitter there I work with. Great guides, too.

My advice is to avoid the long, exhausting and dangerous drive to Gilgit, if you can. Flights to Gilgit are only operated under VRF flight conditions when the weather is clear, and it is common for flights to get cancelled with no notice. When I go back, I will hang out next time in Islamabad for a few days and wait for a flight before I do that drive again.

As another person mentioned, Kaan at Shikar Safaris is a very, very shady individual. I was told he is now banned from parts of the region because he took funds from the Suleiman markhor landowners and screwed the community. Pir Danish Ali is another very bad apple to stay away from. He was the outfitter who was involved with the poaching for profit of protected species, like the Ladakh Uria, that Jason Bruce is probably going to prison for. Pir lost his export privileges, too. I would also avoid the Ekenler bros. I have hunted with them, and while they do have some very good guides, they would continually bad mouth their competitors, and they f*ed up a number of important things, like my cites permit.

The other guy to avoid at all costs, in Asia or anywhere else, is Bryan Martin, with Asian Mountain Outfitters. Many of you know about this guy. Those of you who don't, well, he was banned for life from the wild sheep foundation, and there are many online reports of Bryan taking their payments, misappropriating the money on personal investments, and failing to pay the outfitter. This included a six-figure markhor hunt in Tajikistan with Chris Dianda, a prominent GSCO member.

Last edited:
I do want an Ibex, but those temperatures are beyond my comfort zone. I wouldn't be able to hold a rifle, never mind shoot straight.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted quite a bit in Asia, and my blue sheep hunt in Pakistan was probably my best hunt to date. I went in March of 2022, and will likely go back with a group in late 2024 for a northern/southern combo. I had armed security while we were on the Karakorum Highway, which doesn't make you feel nice and cozy. I had no problems, but I also have a fantastic outfitter there I work with. Great guides, too.

My advice is to avoid the long, exhausting and dangerous drive to Gilgit, if you can. Flights to Gilgit are only operated under VRF flight conditions when the weather is clear, and it is common for flights to get cancelled with no notice. When I go back, I will hang out next time in Islamabad for a few days and wait for a flight before I do that drive again.

As another person mentioned, Kaan at Shikar Safaris is a very, very shady individual. I was told he is now banned from parts of the region because he took funds from the Suleiman markhor landowners and screwed the community. Pir Danish Ali is another very bad apple to stay away from. He was the outfitter who was involved with the poaching for profit of protected species, like the Ladakh Uria, that Jason Bruce is probably going to prison for. Pir lost his export privileges, too. I would also avoid the Ekenler bros. I have hunted with them, and while they do have some very good guides, they would continually bad mouth their competitors, and they f*ed up a number of important things, like my cites permit.

The other guy to avoid at all costs, in Asia or anywhere else, is Bryan Martin, with Asian Mountain Outfitters. Many of you know about this guy. Those of you who don't, well, he was banned for life from the wild sheep foundation, and there are many online reports of Bryan taking their payments, misappropriating the money on personal investments, and failing to pay the outfitter. This included a six-figure markhor hunt in Tajikistan with Chris Dianda, a prominent GSCO member.
I had heard of the Bryan Martin situation, I spoke to Gray Thornton briefly about it shortly after WSF circulated an email.

I won an online auction for the himalayan ibex so if anything at least the funds already went to a good cause. frankly doesnt make me feel much better typing that actually, but ill keep my fingers crossed that itll be a successful adventure. Ive been training and hopefully stacking as many odds in my favor as possible.

Read a lot of positive reviews and have even talked to Kaan at DSC a few times. We’ll see

Last edited:

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I had heard of the Bryan Martin situation, I spoke to Gray Thornton briefly about it shortly after WSF circulated an email.

I won an online auction for the himalayan ibex so if anything at least the funds already went to a good cause. frankly doesnt make me feel much better typing that actually, but ill keep my fingers crossed that itll be a successful adventure. Ive been training and hopefully stacking as many odds in my favor as possible.

Read a lot of positive reviews and have even talked to Kaan at DSC a few times. We’ll see
Kaan can be a very charismatic individual. I can tell you that as long as the hunt has been paid for, by whomever, you will be well taken care of, and you will have a great hunt!