Pakistan - December 2023

Suera

FNG
Here you can see about STEP NGO that was the SHIKAR SAFARIS partners, they were not be more Shikar in Suleiman region anymore. You can see like " big famous hunters" and big hunting agencies that always have in their mouths conservation, help community, the only they are is real Mafia, finally the true it will appear and people will start to believe us, because in this business if you haven't name you aren't nothing and many of these famous people always try to ruin the good work of others. If somebody want more info about this I have videos , I have more proves, I hope it will be the end of this people

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like Shikar Safaris got the #3 Astor permit this year in Chitral. I sure hope they don't screw over that CCHA, too, like they did in the Suleiman area.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
I know a few of you guys are following this thread so figured Id give everyone an update:

I was ready to roll back in December, however, a handful of days before departure I was notified by Shikar's staff in Islamabad that my gun permit was delayed, and it was uncertain how much longer it would take. Not wanting to spend Christmas or New Years in Pakistan I opted to push my trip to February. I'll depart February 10th.

My gun permit has been processed and my Visa approved. I was even able to get my rifles butt pad replaced in the interim - looks much nicer than the duct tape job I had done!

Plan is to arrive in Islamabad and then head up north to the Hunza Valley to chase the Himalayan ibex, then head back to Islamabad and down to Karachi for the Sindh ibex.

Got my medical kit packed, most of my gear packed, and have been racking up miles on the treadmill and steps on the stairmaster. I live at sea level so a dose of Diamox is definitely in my future.

For some of the gear heads this is some of the gear Im packing:
7lb rifle - AnTi, No. 2 Lilja, 1:9tw, KS stock, .280 Remington with 140HVLD @ 3100 fps, Leupold 30mm 4.5-14x with target turrets and scope level
Leica Geovids / kuiu bino harness
Swaro ATS Spotter
Slik Tripod / Manfrotto Fluid Head

Kuiu Base layers, mid layers, Axis pants, yukon jacket, neck gaitors and gloves
Sitka kelvin jacket and pants
Prana pants - hot weather
Smartwool socks / underwear
sleeping bag / sleeping pad
Asolo and Garmont boots (cold and hot weather)
OR croc gaitors
Kuiu 3600 pack

My new pieces of gear will be the Ollin digiscoping set up, definitely looking forward to getting some videos and pictures, as well as a new 35mm prime lens for my Nikon DSLR.

Suera

FNG
Start taking Diamox two days before going to the hunting area. Be ready to a long drive from Islamabad to the hunting area ( 11-16 hours depend the landslides )
Also is very useful bring a pad for sit in the snow , because you will be glassing many hours until you find some good ones.
Best of the lucks, this year there isn't snow and the animals are very very high , big trophies almost impossible to hunt, maybe your delayed permit is a gift and if start showing soon you will be able to take a good one.

Start taking Diamox two days before going to the hunting area. Be ready to a long drive from Islamabad to the hunting area ( 11-16 hours depend the landslides )
That's why I'm hunting Spain for Ibex. Maybe 2 hours from Madrid. and no need for Diamox.
On another hunt I made it to 12,000 with no Diamox, and no problems. I could have went higher if I acclimated a few more days.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
So far so good.

Flew into Islamabad and immediately to Skardu then drove 4 hours to Hushe. Guides had several bands of ibex spotted on both sides of the valleys but all way up the mountain. We saw ibex every day. Climbed up to just north of 13k ft, “slowly slowly” but guides were top notch, super helpful, and encouraging.

Currently in Islamabad heading to Karachi for the second leg of the trip.

Will update soon.

So far so good.

Flew into Islamabad and immediately to Skardu then drove 4 hours to Hushe. Guides had several bands of ibex spotted on both sides of the valleys but all way up the mountain. We saw ibex every day. Climbed up to just north of 13k ft, “slowly slowly” but guides were top notch, super helpful, and encouraging.

Currently in Islamabad heading to Karachi for the second leg of the trip.

Will update soon.
Sounds like a great start to an amazing trip. Keep us updated on how the rest of it goes.