Pants for Turkey Season

OP
aclawrence
Sitka ascents with a Sitka lightweight top. They are nice and light, I'm usually moving a lot. I can put a vest over the top if it's colder. Have a leafy suit top with a hood I usually were over it.

That would just hurt my feelings to buy the Sitka stuff then cover it up with a leafy suit hahahaha. Actually leafy suits are pretty sweet but it seems like they would grab on every briar and get shredded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cgeb

WKR
That would just hurt my feelings to buy the Sitka stuff then cover it up with a leafy suit hahahaha. Actually leafy suits are pretty sweet but it seems like they would grab on every briar and get shredded.

I was in the same boat as you, didn't want to spend the money on the Sitka stuff. I bought a lot at discount or lightly used. I'm very happy with it. I think a lot of people just see it as cool camo, but to me it's that plus it's comfortable and well made. I use it in the midwest I mostly have Open Country pattern, which is sort of designed for the west, but it works great here too. I figure if I spend a little more and it's comfortable and lasts then it won't be any different than cheap camo that I keep replacing.

Killed my biggest gobbler with that setup 2 years ago. So there you go, big bird guarantee built right in with the Sitka stuff... Hell even the leafy suits get expensive.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Permethrin treated Military Surplus (actually issued to me, but you can get it surplus brand new w/ tags on Amazon or Ebay) in Multicam/Scorpion W2/Operation Camo Pattern(OCP) for turkey hunting. Great pattern for early spring here in NH, and with the Permethrin treatment I haven’t found a tick on me since I started wearing these for turkeys. Treatment is good for 25 launderings according to label, but AMEDD says independent testing has shown effective to 50 and you can retreat with a Sawyer treatment kit.

OP
aclawrence
I used the sawyer treatment last year and it worked well. It will being going on whatever I end up with.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m not familiar with the wrangler tech pants. I just assume when you say Walmart your referring to like cotton 6 picket pants. I’m really more interested in the materials and patterns than where they come from. If it checks the boxes the cheaper the better.

I have three pairs now (Walmart wranglers)and they are slowly becoming my favorite pants for everything. I do miss the pockets and vents of my Skre pants but at $20 a pair they are a steal. Honestly they breath so well the vents might not be a loss (we’ll see mid summer). I need to add zipper pulls to the cargos. Material is nylon, spandex.

brik

FNG
I live in south western Pa where i believe, but check the stats to make sure plz, the ticks/lime disease is one of the worst in country. i have personally seen people pull 20-30 ticks off them in half day of hunting on my property. That said i use Permethin/Sawyers and only ever get 4 or 5 ticks a year and i think that is from the yard when im wearing normal non hunting clothes. That said Permethrin/Sawyers has been known to cause health issues for some like headaches and more. For those people there are other steps u can take like tea tree oil and making sure after your hunt your cloths go st8 into the dryer. 10-15 mins of hot dry heat in the dryer will kill all the ticks on clothing. As far as camo goes, I love camo and have all the cool brands for turkey but... I have chased a gobbler that was hot and when i got to where i wanted to set was so hot and sweaty that i took everything off but my green(first light green forget what they call it) merino base layer and had a hen walk in so close that i couldve grabbed it. Movement is way more important than camo but camo does help just dont move and you'll be fine.
Now i have khul pants too and love them but i also have the first lite obsidian pants and for spring turkey here in pa i dont think there is a better pair of pants on the market. This is just my opinion but i have been hiking and backing for a long time playing with all that gear and found these first lite pants and now use them for my hiking and backing needs too. Im a huge fan or the merino wool and the first lite incorporates it with the rip stop is genius in my opinion . i have a 30-32 inseam too im 5'8

Last edited:
OP
aclawrence
Hey Brik what size do you wear in those first lite obsidians?

I’m still wearing an old leafywear suit that was the original Mossy Oak pattern. It’s probably 20 years old and is faded to grey, mostly. The pattern on the mesh is completely gone. I use it for predator hunting all winter and I use it for guiding and filming spring turkey hunts. I can throw it on over my regular ranch work clothes and head out hunting. Turkeys have great eyes but it more about picking up movement than picking out your shape. I’m incredibly successful with it and we hunt some very educated Toms. It’s WAY more effective than plain camp. First Lite makes a great jacket and hood - I’m about to finally retire my tattered old suit with one. I wish they made pants too; but I’ll just wear my old bottoms or a pair of my “mud” or green Prana Brions or Zions and Kill ‘em ALL! Lol!

brik

FNG
Hey Brik what size do you wear in those first lite obsidians?

I have large. Im 5'8 175lbs and 30-32 inseam. I had these from when i was fat too so i was 36(maybe 37) in waste when i got them and now im a 34 inch waste and they still fit fine bc of the suspenders which is another thing i love about them for with a pack on your back. Any more questions on sizing let me know i have tried all different brands of hiking and hunting clothes.
I also wanted to add that i wear boots with them weather it be hiking or hunting and the fit me perfect for length with my boots on. I have them on now just to check for you and with no boots on the heel area drags on the floor barely and with either my limmers or lowas on they fit perfect for me. Hope that helps.