Pick a system

Hi guys,
I am not above looking like I shop at garage sales when I hunt. I personally really like core-4-element mountain mimicry. But, that pattern has been discontinued.
I need to get some new clothes, and while doing such I might as well pick a line-up that is the same pattern. Because I have never bought higher end products, I would like to pick a brand//pattern and build upon it.
Putting opinions aside, can anyone advise on which brand to concentrate on and why. As an example, I have heard nothing but positive things about the First Lite Puffy. Because of that, I have thought about building around that system. Once I do commit, I might actually try to stay with the same pattern though.
Please advise with personal experience of your chosen brand. Thoughts on quality, etc. Where do you buy your clothes?? Where are the best prices? Black Ovis?

If pattern matters and you want to stick with what you have there is still Mimcry around (sylo on camofire) and occasionally on the classifieds here and elsewhere.

If you decide on a new system head to toe I am a fan of Kuiu. I have their SD jacket, Chinook Jacket, Merino top and bottoms, attack pants, Tiburon gloves and their pack system (Ultra 6000 and IP3200). Every piece of their gear is top notch and performs as advertised. It isn't cheap but I feel the value per dollar is there for sure. I pieced together a system as I could and as I figured out how and where I would hunt.

I think their basic Teton line (full head to toe kit for like $750ish) is very interesting. The owner outright said their Teton stuff will outperform Sitka and that is a strong statement but I believe him.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sylogear uses mountain mimicry, if want to stay with that.
My choice was based on my needs, budget and how it fits my body type. Pattern was not a concern. I believe in silhouette break up but not blend in paterens. Prices are tough. I set a side $1000 for clothes, gear, pack etc that way when I found a deal I had the funds. Sitka can be found discounted online, usually just bigger sizes or discontinued stuff. Overall the classifieds on here and camofire are good places. Personally I'm a melting pot of sitka,kuiu,predator,scentlok and even some UA and champion and russell athletic from Target and walmart. Patterns range from verde, fall grey, max-1, real tree xtra, and earth tones.
A few years back I spent 4 hours in a pro shop that carried sitka, core4, first lite, then tried a bunch of kuiu from friends.
I like wearing multiple patterns at the same time, it makes me a little less easy to be labeled a douchebag😉.
I have several diehard kuiu friends who are wishing they invested in First lite because they may be more $ per piece but you can cover more temperature spans with fewer pieces.
If you are of average weight and height go with FL or sitka. If you are somewhat tall and lean kuiu. I have no experience with kryptek. If you want the most versatile pattern for terrains, distance, and animals that do see colors as well as ungulates then fusion from FL is the best IMO.
I had the FL puffy, yes its awesome, just didn't fit my need for being quite since I primarily hunt archery, and the sizing small too short in the arms, medium too big in torso.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Duckhunter175, makes a good point about the Teton line. I have the puffy and zip-t and for the money it is hard to beat. Also seen the teton soft shell which I think fills the same purpose of the sitka ascent jacket, just missing zippers on the hand pockets but the Teton seamed more weather resistant.

I don't think you can go wrong with First Lite, Sitka, or Kuiu. They all make top of the line gear. I have Sitka and Kuiu gear and haven't had a problem with any of them. I have never used First Lite so I can't comment on them personally, but I have heard great things. My gear is centralized on September Elk hunting in Colorado as well. I do hunt or guide during all of the rifle seasons as well, so I buy clothes that will work for all of those scenarios. The best deals for Sitka and Kuiu that I have found is on the classifieds. I have gotten almost all of my pieces from here. I can't afford to buy most of the pieces at full price. PM me if you would like to know the systems I use for Sitka or Kuiu. I would be more than happy to share.

twall13

WKR
As others have mentioned, if you like the Mountain Mimicry pattern Sylo is basically the new Core4element. The guys at Blackovis sold Core4 to Easton as I understand it and have now developed Sylo in it's place. Some of it is on Camofire right now (all day) and it frequently comes up there if you aren't ready to buy now. The full line up is available at Blackovis.com. Blackovis is one of my favorite places to get high end hunting gear but there are a bunch of great places. 1shotgear.com, Midwayusa.com, sandsarchery.com to name a few.

I'm a First Lite guy and have built most of my system around that but I also have a few items from Kryptek. Kuiu and Sitka also make top of the line clothing but I couldn't get behind some of the things I've seen Kuiu support and Sitka is generally the most expensive unless you can pick everything up on sales. That combined with the fact that Fusion and Highlander are my two favorite camo patterns made the choice easier for me. Some of your decision might depend on body type. Any of the brands I've mentioned make good gear but it doesn't fit everyone the same.

You may have better luck asking about certain clothing pieces that interest you and figuring out if they fit your body type, then build from there.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
All my high end stuff was bought for September in Colorado as well. For my occasional October or November hunt I just top it off with a ski parka. I found that to be more comfortable and lighter than the insulated carrhart stuff that was recommended to me when I stated hunting in the later seasons.

warrior80

WKR
As stated, Kuiu, Sitka, First Lite, Kryptek all make good stuff. If you can get to a place to check some of it out, try it on, etc., then do it. If not, just choose based on what you like the look of and based on reviews for sizing, fit, etc. Overall, I like Kuiu's stuff best. I like the fit and feel better than the others. I own pieces from all of these companies, but by far the most is Kuiu. I also have a bunch of Core4 in Mountain Mimicry. It is good too, but definitely not on the same level as Kuiu. As far as good prices, like others have said, classifieds here and other sites and sales. Kuiu starts with the lowest price for most things compared to the others, so that's good when you need to buy something at full price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I'm a Kuiu guy but with that said, I would look at pieces instead of one company. I really like FL shirts but like Kuiu outerwear. Sitka is also good but I like the fit of Kuiu better. However, the Sitka kelvin vest is awesome. If it's about pattern then FL has my vote for ASAT.

OP
B
Thanks for all of the insight guys. Lots of helpful advice. I did not know that Sylo is the new Core4. It looks like I would be well advised to just go to a big "box store" and see if one fits better than the rest.

Thanks for all of the insight guys. Lots of helpful advice. I did not know that Sylo is the new Core4. It looks like I would be well advised to just go to a big "box store" and see if one fits better than the rest.

I would def go and try on some pieces of what you can find before you buy an entire system. Most of those lines (Kuiu, Kryptek, Sylo, and FL to some extent) you won't find in store. Consider maybe trying on some from a buddy... OR if you order a system keep the tags on and try them on. If it doesn't fit send it back. With this companies as long as it wasn't a clearance item they will exchange sizes no issue, just paying return shipping (cheaper than having to try and sell it bc you ripped the tags off)

I've found size reviews on most of that clothing to be accurate and had good luck sizing things. The only size return I had to make was a Kuiu merino top and the IP1850 I decided not to keep.

OP
B
Does one line//company make a puffy, or a quiet shell pant that also works as a rain gear thereby serving a dual purpose?

warrior80

WKR
Does one line//company make a puffy, or a quiet shell pant that also works as a rain gear thereby serving a dual purpose?
No. It's not really the best option because you wouldn't want to wear insulated rain gear in all conditions or want to pack bulkier pieces around. Some of the insulation pieces have a dwr coating on them so they will shed very light precipitation, but they are in no way rain gear. The Sitka Coldfront gear would probably be the closest to what you're asking, but it is for cold, really wet conditions. Would not be good for summer rainstorms.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yes, but they would be too hot for archery season in Colorado. Kuiu makes the Yukon jacket and pant which is water proof, and meant to be worn as outer layers all the time during really bad weather. Sitka also runs the Coldfront. Those pieces are the most expensive as well.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have seen some highend snow board pants that fit your description. They had zipper vents on the inside of the thighs and 18 inch leg zips. Water proof & breathability rating of 15000/15000. They were $450 though, that would buy you great rain and insulated pants which allows greater versatility.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My opinion is that people spend way too much time and money on hunting clothes. But it's their time and money.
I'm guilty, need to find a support group.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm guilty, need to find a support group.

I will admit that I put in time, but that time is spent searching for the best I can find that meets my requirements for a heck of a lot cheaper than these name brand "system clothes" cost. (The hunt, the challenge). Most of my clothes that I use are at least 7 years old now. My merino base bottoms look like giant moths got a hold of them. Those really do need a change out. But it's not easy finding Talls.