Piebald deer - shoot?

LoggerDan

WKR
I wouldn’t shoot o white, albino or piebald. I don’t think they possess any sort of significant meaning, but there’s nothing about them interesting enough for me to kill them. Rather just watch it.

I’ve killed enough animals in my lifetime that I don’t need to shoot such a unique creature.

Last edited:

Jkr61

FNG
They’re a few states that it’s illegal to shoot albino deer. There are also some laws on shooting piebalds I’d check the regs for where you live.

Is it just the coloring on the near shoulder? The buck looks to be at an odd posture with the near side front shoulder/leg.

Rich M

WKR
Well, that depends on where you stand on Native American or even Arthurian legends, but some think a white deer is powerful magic And not to be touched.

if you think I am kidding, talk to some northeast deer hunters. It is a more commonly held view than you would think.
There is a state where albino deer are common and illegal to shoot (WI?), but everyone else I know would pop and albino or piebald in a heartbeat.

I gave up worrying about "magic" and "spirituality" in hunting a long time ago.

My wife got this one:

9PIdfyj.jpg

and I got this one

7FzLFdT.jpg

they eat just fine

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
Had a piebald doe on my property last year, and I would have shot her without hesitation. You never know when you will get another chance, they are few and far between where I come from. I have only ever seen one. Even if it isn’t a stud buck, it would make a nice rug or wall decor!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamp Fox

WKR
Well, that depends on where you stand on Native American or even Arthurian legends, but some think a white deer is powerful magic And not to be touched.

if you think I am kidding, talk to some northeast deer hunters. It is a more commonly held view than you would think.

This ^^^

Some of you nimrods seem like no fun at all.

Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to you. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your souls.​

And you're definitely not invited to my next Halloween party. : (

( So you have that going for you, which is nice ... ; ) )

I saw a white deer while driving about six or eight weeks ago. Big wow factor vs piebald, which are close to not exactly uncommon.

What would Merlin do?

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR

They’re a few states that it’s illegal to shoot albino deer. There are also some laws on shooting piebalds I’d check the regs for where you live.

Absolutely illegal to shoot an albino in TN. Piebald or amelenastic are fair game though. I'd drop that particular fatty like a red hot rock!

Trevor96

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely illegal to shoot an albino in TN. Piebald or amelenastic are fair game though

Same in WI

We were seeing a nice buck all summer that was almost all white, including his velvet, that if I got a chance I would take him no problem

Fordguy

WKR
Albinism is caused by a genetic mutation. It can he inherited or happen randomly in vertebrate populations. The fact of the matter is that albino animals are less fit and have poorer odds of survival. They lack melanin which protects the skin from the sun, they're more likely to have sunburn and skin cancers, vision and hearing problems, and the lack of hair pigmentation does little to conceal them from predators unless they're in the middle of a snowscape, and in harsh winter climates those all white animals would not absorb heat from the sun as easily as their normally colored herd mates.

Being different or unique does not make them deserving of special protection. The reason that albino animals are rare is that they are poorly equipped for survival compared to their "normal" herdmates.
Albinism is probably not a traits to encourage in the population if we want fittest, most adaptable animals to pass on their genes.
Albino or piebald, if it strikes your fancy, shoot.

is one more WKR saying "shoot it" gonna change your mind?
Maybe I'll say let it walk so someone else could shoot it. He's mature. Just depends on if you think you'll have a chance at wacking him next year when he puts all his energy into antler growth instead of body growth

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I'm native american and if I saw a piebald or an albino deer, the only bad mojo would be for the deer, 'cause I'm shooting it if I can.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk