Pocket chainsaw review?

Austink47

WKR
Has anyone actually used one of these? Do they work well or is it just some as seen on TV BS? Application would be keeping a wall tent sized wood stove fed for a week.
IMG_2183.jpeg

PNWGATOR

WKR
Forget it.

How are you camped with the wall tent stove? Truck? Stock? Wilderness area?

Legit chain saw with a full sized splitting maul or Silkyboy Katana and Fiskars axe.

If you’re packing that big of a stove, make it easy on yourself getting it fed.

OP
A

Austink47

WKR
Forget it.

How are you camped with the wall tent stove? Truck? Stock? Wilderness area?

Legit chain saw with a full sized splitting maul or Silkyboy Katana and Fiskars axe.

If you’re packing that big of a stove, make it easy on yourself getting it fed.
Pack stock in a wilderness, so no proper saw.

MTtrout

WKR
My grandpa gave me something like that many years ago. It came in a tin can. I’ve never used it but makes me want to get it out. An axe works and I have taken a Wyoming knife saw that folds up nicely. I prefer the bow saw over an axe myself. With stock I’d take a larger folding bow saw and a small axe.

You will burn through a surprising amount of wood in a wall tent stove through a week, especially if it’s a larger tent. A hand saw, even the most efficient one will be a lot of work.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have one similar to that, used to keep it my truck for emergencies. It works in a pinch, but it’s not something you’d want to be using as your primary saw.

I'll be the dissenting voice, those are the best little tools for cutting your Christmas tree. You can get right down to the dirt, it cuts really fast, and it's easy to get a clean cut. I prefer the ones without actual teeth, just the bent metal ones.

But cutting firewood for a week, that's a terrible idea, they're basically disposable.

Moto_917

FNG
+1 more for the silky saw. I have the “Big Boy” and keep it in my line pack during fire season, and my moto backpack in the winter. It’s one of those things I wish I would have bought a long time ago.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
I pack one of these for the wood stove. Light, compact, and absolutely rips through wood.

Drenalin

WKR
They are basically toys, and completely disposable. I'd second (or third or fourth) a Silky saw. The Bigboy is around 14 ounces and works very well.

$21 for a might work ! Think I would invest a little more for quality !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the silky saw is looking steep on price, I've had good luck with the fiskars/corona hand saws you can find at home depot. They're not quite as easy to pack, but with well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I saw "pocket chainsaw" and my first thought was Buzzsaw Louie from Veggie Tales. That's just a pocket chain. I'd bring the 18" WY Saw, but then you'll also want something to split the wood with as well. If you can pack in the stove, a splitting axe shouldn't be a problem.

Vrybusy

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried one of those before...not very good IMO. +1 on a Silky saw. You dont have to worry about the angle of the tree/branch as much as with the pocket chainsaw. You can also hold or position a limb with one hand while cutting with the other using a Silky, Wyoming, etc.... preventing pinches, or a branch from falling the wrong direction.

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
So I cant say I have seen any of the cheap amazon ones be any good but what I can say is I take my old chains that are worn past what I want to use on my saws anymore break the link make leather straps for handles and either rivet them in on the ends for people I sell them to or use Chicago screws for myself and just file down the rakers a bit and they work great Oregon EXL chain is what I use a lot 100ft rolls they are easier to pack than a standard folding or packable bow saw but if at all possible a folding handle saw will do you better.

OP
A

Austink47

WKR
So I cant say I have seen any of the cheap amazon ones be any good but what I can say is I take my old chains that are worn past what I want to use on my saws anymore break the link make leather straps for handles and either rivet them in on the ends for people I sell them to or use Chicago screws for myself and just file down the rakers a bit and they work great Oregon EXL chain is what I use a lot 100ft rolls they are easier to pack than a standard folding or packable bow saw but if at all possible a folding handle saw will do you better.
That is a great idea. Thank you for the reply.