Quilts

Anyone have experience with the thermarest 20* quilt? I hate being bunched up in a mummy bag and want to try a quilt next season. Others I should look at? I have the xtherm pad, so feel good about that. Would like it to take me though October in the Pacific Northwest.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 for El Coyote!!!

Brian answered all my questions and walked me through the process. I was concerned, due to my size(6’1, 325#) that quilts wouldn’t work for me and that I’m also an active side sleeper.

He made me a XX-Wide x Long custom sized 10° quilt and I couldn’t be happier. Total weight is 29 oz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
+1 for El Coyote!!!

Brian answered all my questions and walked me through the process. I was concerned, due to my size(6’1, 325#) that quilts wouldn’t work for me and that I’m also an active side sleeper.

He made me a XX-Wide x Long custom sized 10° quilt and I couldn’t be happier. Total weight is 29 oz

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
Enlightened Equipment is another brand I’ve seen lots of folks enjoying.

If you’re worried about whether you’ll like a quilt at all vs a sleeping bag, I’d rent one from REI and try it out first, just to see if you like the layout in general.

Red33

FNG
This is just my experience, and everyone is a bit different, but I went with an extra wide quilt even though I am an old medium sized guy (5'9", 180lbs) and the extra width is very nice. I went with an EE Enigma 20 degree and paired it with a zenbivy fast sheet and it does me well from Sept through Oct in North Idaho. Much better than a mummy bag. I think most of the major quilt makers are somewhat similar and make good products.

Drenalin

WKR
I really like Katabatic. When I’m looking at other quilts, I’m comparing specs to Katabatic mostly because they are true to temp, if not a little conservative.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know much, but have been very pleased with my Featherstone quilt. They are very inexpensive compared to big name quilts.

geriggs

WKR
I had a katabatic and it’s a great quilt but just a tad small for a big guy like me. I went with a WM terra lite which is the best of both worlds (can use as quilt or bag) but just sold it recently because I was worried it would not be warm enough for an October Wyoming hunt ……I may regret that, remains to be seen. I ended up buying a zenbivy system……if it can keep me warm it may be the most comfortable system out there. The sheet and the quilt are great. The small thing of the pillow not falling off the pad is huge for sleep. I’m bringing extra layers and a good pad for insurance but as far as comfort it’s great.

d3r1k

FNG
Warbonnet Outdoors has the best combination of quality, features, weight, and price IMO. I spec’d out quilts from El Coyote, Hammock Gear, EE, UGQ, and probably a couple others. None of them were as good as Warbonnet. I live in WA and use quilts year round. I went with a 20 degree quilt for 3 season use. For the winter I use a 50 degree synthetic quilt to layer over the top. Gets me to zero and protects the down from condensation. If you or someone you know can sew you can get all the materials from RSBTR and make your own. That’s what I do for the synthetic ones.

OP
R
Awesome. I’m 6’2” and about 170. So was thinking about a wide/long in whatever brand. Staying true to temp is super important. I’ve done some mid-late November stuff in the Olympics and the temps have been 10-15 at night.