Raingear for PNW?

just.mark

FNG
So I was out hunting the Washington coast today and big surprise it was raining. I got a Kuiu rubicon jacket as a gift and it actually did a pretty decent job repeling water and not soaking up too much. It dried as a I wore it this evening which I was not expecting. I just wish it had armpit zips. I was wearing a merino base layer and going up and down some of those hills I was getting a little hot. Is the guide DCS the same jacket with zips? And how does it compare to the axis?

Thats what I have done for years. Im just trying to gauge the wetness I guess. The KUIU axis jacket can buck some water and the Alpine pant with some good gaiters can handle a little bit. Im just looking to be as prepared as possible being that Ive never hunted such a damp/wet environment.
The killer is sitting still if you are really wet. Dawn patrol made some really good points, and is right, staying bone dry isn’t realistic, so your clothes should be picked based on being damp… even best case, you will have some water coming through your hood and cuffs.

Leaky rain gear becomes pointless at some point, it’s a big difference. I stay relatively dry, but if it’s like today, and you have leaking rain gear, you won’t be able to stop long.

When it’s not raining (between squalls) or raining lightly, I utilize hip zips and pit zips, they make any rain gear more breathable.

PVC isn’t bomb proof either, the lighter stuff like Neptune will still pinhole in the brush. I used to steelhead fish in those pullovers and like them, but hold it up to a light after a season and it looks like looking up at the sky on a clear night… heavier pvc sucks to hike in, I have tried everything… I assume the Sitka stormfront is pretty good, but aside from that, I would not spend my rain gear money with them… Yukon and kutana are really good options, and I’m hoping the first lite omen is too

I got about the same life out of the kutana as the Yukon, kutana is lighter but louder… apparently the kutana isn’t as breathable, but in real world, I can’t tell any difference in that regard.

If it’s forecasted an inch of rain and wind, you will be damp at the end of the day if you have good rain gear and soaked in anything else

Brando26

FNG
I use the Yukon and Sitka's heavy Duck hunting bibs and coat for the days of less walking

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
I like the layered gortex jacket option mentioned earlier. Having done some commercial fishing in the past...I can appreciate the disdain for the heavy pvc jackets.
For bottoms, I picked up a pair of heavy llama wool pants. I can wear those in heavy rain all day and stay perfectly warm...even while sitting on the cold wet ground. If layered with some merino wool base layers...one could stay down right toasty.

Venom One

WKR
Lots of good info here.

Don't forget to bring a rain cover for your backpack or you'll be hauling around a lot of water weight. They only cost $20-30 on Amazon. No need for an expensive one.

Didn't read all of the comments, so don't know if it was mentioned, but I have a first lite SEAK jacket that I really like. I hunt primarily NW Oregon. It's not the quietest (not terrible either), but the quiet gear I've had with the brushed exterior finish seems heavier and definitely dries slower. Been 100% wateproof so far. Has armpit zippers and a few different cinch cords that seem well placed (body and hood).
Googled to verify the name and it looks like it's 20% off right now for whatever that's worth to you.

Twitch

WKR
Hey all,

So I have a blacktail hunt booked for the last 2 weeks of October in northwest OR in 2023. All of my hunting thus far has been either in the midwest or in high desert type terrain in NM, AZ, WY etc. What kind of rain should I expect and what gear do you all use? Ive been happy with Kuiu's outer layers and rock mostly firstlite for base layers. I just haven't really been concerned with rain thus far.

EDIT: I will have a camp that I am going back to everyday that will have the ability to dry things out. Campfires, shelters, stoves etc won't be an issue.

It's rained almost 9" in the last 48 hours at my house here in the coast range of Oregon.
That's the kind of rain you can expect ;) LOL

I practically live in my Badlands Exo gear here in the north end of Idaho. It rains a ton here too. I’ve been more than impressed by the durability of the Exo stuff, and it keeps me plenty dry.

I hunt Oregon coast and in the Willamette Valley a lot. I get the cheap gortex army surplus rain pants off Amazon if I know it’s going to have a lot of blackberries. They are loud but bullet proof so far.

Normal coast hunting I have the Pnuma selkirk set and love it so far, just one season though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The ECWCS 3-layer Goretex for less than $200 for a set with many fit options is by far the best bet.
Not as quiet as some dedicated hunting gear but it works well and is probably better constructed than many of the boutique hunting manufacturers.

7794c0cf308fdea858110b8ad121d44a.jpg

Some more coast style hunting pics
bef8eb4af6e41ac10a7791c593263af3.jpg

1dd66fac64340ccb6371bfd9fb913fd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Take that 2nd photo, add a dark thick canopy around it, let it rain for a week, now you have the Idaho Panhandle 😂

Attachments

• bef8eb4af6e41ac10a7791c593263af3.jpg
    bef8eb4af6e41ac10a7791c593263af3.jpg
    722.9 KB · Views: 20

just.mark

FNG
I second the ECWCS Gen 3 rain gear. That's what I carry and use. Used it last weekend ambush hunting on the Washington coast, Man was it coming down.

Hey all,

So I have a blacktail hunt booked for the last 2 weeks of October in northwest OR in 2023. All of my hunting thus far has been either in the midwest or in high desert type terrain in NM, AZ, WY etc. What kind of rain should I expect and what gear do you all use? Ive been happy with Kuiu's outer layers and rock mostly firstlite for base layers. I just haven't really been concerned with rain thus far.

EDIT: I will have a camp that I am going back to everyday that will have the ability to dry things out. Campfires, shelters, stoves etc won't be an issue.
I hunt the coast of Washington a lot and I have been trying out the SKRE Nebo rain pants and jacket, been fairly impressed. One thing though is for the west side I would consider wearing gaiters, helps preserve your lower part of the rain pants with all the thorns and brush.

AkRyan

WKR
Everyone seems to hat on krytek but I have used there rain gear for 2 yrs in Alaska for hunting and as my winter outerlayer, I even use it in Minnesota for my outer layer on windy days. Not a single complaint after I replaced the zipper pulls on the leg zip with a piece of cordage.