Raingear for PNW?

Oregon

WKR
Hey all,

So I have a blacktail hunt booked for the last 2 weeks of October in northwest OR in 2023. All of my hunting thus far has been either in the midwest or in high desert type terrain in NM, AZ, WY etc. What kind of rain should I expect and what gear do you all use? Ive been happy with Kuiu's outer layers and rock mostly firstlite for base layers. I just haven't really been concerned with rain thus far.
Here's NW Oregon blacktail country. Taken this AM.
5D2DB7BA-ED27-4EBA-BDA4-7FAA4D057309.jpeg

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
7794c0cf308fdea858110b8ad121d44a.jpg

Some more coast style hunting pics
bef8eb4af6e41ac10a7791c593263af3.jpg

1dd66fac64340ccb6371bfd9fb913fd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Austink47

WKR
I am new to the PNW but the Sitka kodiak jacket has been phenomenal. It is discontinued but there may be a few still floating around.

Grundens Neptune. Have wetted out “breathable rain gear” enough. You can get away with it sitting and glassing or walking brushless areas, but start pushing brush in the rainforest, and you’ll be heading to the store mid hunt to buy some rubber rain gear.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Cut the neoprene booties off an old pair of gore-tex waders if you want the most bombproof rain bibs around. Breathable and dry, but you pay for that with weight and some noise.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Had an interesting one yesterday. Had bout 4" of wet snow, and then it warmed up just enough. Spent the day trying to dodge slush balls from 30' above me. I wasnt very good at dodging them

Got soaked the most while cutting up a buck. Just no dodging those damn snowballs.
Resized_20221103_111140.jpeg

Grundens Neptune. Have wetted out “breathable rain gear” enough. You can get away with it sitting and glassing or walking brushless areas, but start pushing brush in the rainforest, and you’ll be heading to the store mid hunt to buy some rubber rain gear.
The Neptune is president good for the money, and hold up pretty well… not that bad to hike in. I wear the Neptune line for work and play… still much prefer kuiu kutana or Yukon for hunting most of the time, but for under 300$ for a set of camo neptune, it’s pretty much the best you can do in that price range, and their camo pattern is pretty good too

Glory

Lil-Rokslider
That’s kind of an interesting concept

I remember a steelhead season I was wearing Sitka downpour pants over my waders when I planned on plowing through salmonberry all day, those pants sucked so bad for hunting and pinholed out in a long weekend, so I decided to use them to protect my waders in real brushy areas… worked well, kinda like chaps but not too restrictive

A wore out goretex jacket over a good goretex jacket is a pretty solid idea on those days when busting brush all day
The problem is wet brush. Any non-pvc will let a little water through when going through the stuff which will eventually soak you. First jacket keeps 98% of it out. The other jacket can easily handle the other 2%. Take the sacrificial jacket off when not plowing through the brush or in between rain storms. A Bering sea captain gave me the idea when he told me his guys hated pvc so much they started doubling up on the stormr stuff and it worked great.

Oregon

WKR
Is there something wrong with me that I just took 10min to see if I can find a blacktail in this picture?
Nope. Just means you're a blacktail hunter. :ROFLMAO:
My season is over. I am not going back out in this windstorm and rain. It is nasty out!
Tag soup it is.

OP: Glad you are going to come out and hunt a unique animal in a cool place.

Lots of good advice above, but I’ll add my 2 cents b/c I grew up on the central Oregon coast: you are probably going to get wet no matter what. You can get wet because your breathable rain gear couldn’t withstand the wet brush, or you can get wet because you are doused in sweat from attempting to hike this steep country in ruberized bibs/slicker. Your choice.

Once you accept that reality, it’s more about dressing to stay warm while you are wet. Now, coastal Oregon in October isn’t really a “cold” place—I’d be surprised if it got below freezing your entire trip. But if you are wet and its 45 degrees F and blowing 20 (which will happen some or most of the time), you could be real uncomfortable (or worse) if you aren’t dressed appropriately. Your clothing doesn’t have to be sophisticated—just a base layer (merino is good, but polypro is fine too), a mid layer (fleece is my go-to), and something to cut the wind. Anything cotton or down is a no-go; you want material like wool or fleece that insulates when wet.

I don’t know the details of your hunt, but since there is basically no backcountry in NW Oregon, I’m guessing you are staying in a motel or lodge with a dryer, or at least a wall tent setup with a stove. If so, I’ll give some very un-Rokslide-y advice and say to prioritize quantity over quality in your clothing. That is, instead of investing in one set of amazing rain gear and under layers, I’d try to scrape together two or three sets of clothes. That way, you can keep drying stuff out as you go.

Good luck; hope you kill a monster blacktail.

Hey all,

So I have a blacktail hunt booked for the last 2 weeks of October in northwest OR in 2023. All of my hunting thus far has been either in the midwest or in high desert type terrain in NM, AZ, WY etc. What kind of rain should I expect and what gear do you all use? Ive been happy with Kuiu's outer layers and rock mostly firstlite for base layers. I just haven't really been concerned with rain thus far.
I’ve heard good things about Kuiu Yukon. All I have is Eddie Bauer and would not recommend for what you describe.

ridgefire

WKR
I have been using a LL Bean Goretex jacket and Sitka Thunerhead pants with great success for hunting Blacktails in Western Washington. It has kept me dry and is comfortable to wear. The full length leg zippers are really nice for getting them on and off and venting as needed.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
So, I’ll come at this from another angle that others touched on but didn’t really mention. When they say to prepare for rain, they’re really saying that you need to prepare for being wet. Even with the best rain gear, things (not just clothes) get wet. Do you have a shelter for a heater to dry things off? What are you going to use to cook? Definitely don’t count on a campfire since most fuel will be soaked. Are you using wool or synthetic base? Try as you may, it’s still going to get somewhat wet - especially around the wrists and neck. Do you have gold bond? Bring it. Everything chafes when wet.

You get the idea here. Hard to know exactly how to prepare for that much (potential) rain until you’re in it. I lived in Western OR for years so I learned the hard way after many brutal steelhead trips. Happy to help if you have any specific questions!

Edit: Forgot to mention in my ramble the gear I actually use. :) First Lite Seak Stormtight. I’ve found it to be bombproof but heavy. Not sure they make it any more though?

-RadDad

So I'll probably add this to the OP but I will be headed back to a lodge/camp of some kind that has power to dry everything out. This won't be a backcountry style hunt. Most of my base layers are KUIU or FL wool. I also rock the old Alpine pant from KUIU and the Axis jacket that has some waterproof panels but not a rain jacket. Gold Bond powder comes with me everywhere I go but haven't had to need yet, thankfully.

Thanks for the help. I just know this will a different climate than I am used to. I just know that poor rain gear might be what makes this hunt kinda miserable.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
I take a different approach to hunting and wear soft shells with fleece and or flannels unless im stationary. Your going to get wet either way so wear things that will dry and keep you warm. I save the rain gear for when I'm stationary to dry out the other layers. Flannel is by far the the best thing I've found in the intermediate rain.

Thats what I have done for years. Im just trying to gauge the wetness I guess. The KUIU axis jacket can buck some water and the Alpine pant with some good gaiters can handle a little bit. Im just looking to be as prepared as possible being that Ive never hunted such a damp/wet environment.

OP
rootacres

rootacres

WKR
OP: Glad you are going to come out and hunt a unique animal in a cool place.

Lots of good advice above, but I’ll add my 2 cents b/c I grew up on the central Oregon coast: you are probably going to get wet no matter what. You can get wet because your breathable rain gear couldn’t withstand the wet brush, or you can get wet because you are doused in sweat from attempting to hike this steep country in ruberized bibs/slicker. Your choice.

Once you accept that reality, it’s more about dressing to stay warm while you are wet. Now, coastal Oregon in October isn’t really a “cold” place—I’d be surprised if it got below freezing your entire trip. But if you are wet and its 45 degrees F and blowing 20 (which will happen some or most of the time), you could be real uncomfortable (or worse) if you aren’t dressed appropriately. Your clothing doesn’t have to be sophisticated—just a base layer (merino is good, but polypro is fine too), a mid layer (fleece is my go-to), and something to cut the wind. Anything cotton or down is a no-go; you want material like wool or fleece that insulates when wet.

I don’t know the details of your hunt, but since there is basically no backcountry in NW Oregon, I’m guessing you are staying in a motel or lodge with a dryer, or at least a wall tent setup with a stove. If so, I’ll give some very un-Rokslide-y advice and say to prioritize quantity over quality in your clothing. That is, instead of investing in one set of amazing rain gear and under layers, I’d try to scrape together two or three sets of clothes. That way, you can keep drying stuff out as you go.

Good luck; hope you kill a monster blacktail.

Thank you for the help. My base layer system consits of KUIU and FL merino. I have the ultra merino 145, wick and kiln. I combine that with the Kenai synthetic insulation and the Axis shell to buck the wind. That setup has served me well everywhere Ive gone. My bottoms are similar in setup. I'll be able to dry everything out daily at the lodge/camp. Im just curious on what rain gear everyone rocks as I have barely needed what I currently have.