Rainy Day Hunting

Bajr

FNG
Weather pattern in Mississippi has been rainy for past few weekends. Unfortunately this has been bringing higher temperatures which hurts deer movement in daylight hours. I have shooting houses and blinds to get in for when it rains. If rain and wind is not heavy, I do see deer. Killed a few in past. Has anyone else had success hunting in the rain? What is your setup for it?

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Up here in the PNW supposedly the rainyer and nastier the weather is the better the Blacktail hunting is, if thats true or not I see them in all weather... regardless Im just used to the rain cause it mostly rains here a lot. As for setup I just use a Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket is actually pretty quiet for a nylon jacket. I use a rain hat instead of the hood to hear. The best rainpants Ive ever had are Killik brand as they are "mostly" silent and have full side zippers for breathing. Waterproof gaiters are essential in the brush IMO.

LostArra

WKR
I bowhunt 99% of the time. Hunting in rain is always a risk.
Ive had some really good hunts right as the rain is stopping after a day or 2 of storms.
Light drizzle or heavy overcast days are a great time to hunt deer.
I love to be in the woods as the rain is stopping especially if the sun breaks out.

These are my observations of an assortment of animals in an variety of terrain:
* Light rain - zero impact on animals
* Downpour - animals are hunkered down
* Moment rain lets up - animals are up and out (too many folks miss out on this because they are afraid that they will melt when exposed to water)

Yoder

WKR
Heavy rain I've never seen much. They still have to eat so I'm sure they are still moving around but maybe closer to bedding? Light rain is always good. I killed my biggest buck still hunting in the rain with my rifle.

manitou1

WKR
I have killed deer in pretty heavy downpours but never in thunder storms... mainly because I don't go out in thunder storms..

Kodiak06

FNG
Up here in the PNW supposedly the rainyer and nastier the weather is the better the Blacktail hunting is, if thats true or not I see them in all weather... regardless Im just used to the rain cause it mostly rains here a lot. As for setup I just use a Patagonia Torrentshell rain jacket is actually pretty quiet for a nylon jacket. I use a rain hat instead of the hood to hear. The best rainpants Ive ever had are Killik brand as they are "mostly" silent and have full side zippers for breathing. Waterproof gaiters are essential in the brush IMO.
Whitetail are nothing like BT when it comes to nasty weather. Like you, I see BT all the time but the bulk of the bigguns I've seen most hunters stayed had home due to weather.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Out in a light rain tonight, we’ll see if I end up with the same luck some of you have had. Feels strange to be sitting in a stand in WI on Christmas and wearing a sweatshirt and dealing with rain instead of a blizzard. This same time last year it was well below zero with 30+ mph winds. Today it was 50.

These are my observations of an assortment of animals in an variety of terrain:
* Light rain - zero impact on animals
* Downpour - animals are hunkered down
* Moment rain lets up - animals are up and out (too many folks miss out on this because they are afraid that they will melt when exposed to water)
In our defense, we don't live in AZ where it is probably 80F when it's raining. 😁

I will hunt closer to the bedding area on rainy days. Deer will mill around some during decent rain. As soon as it stops they will all be moving.

Rich M

WKR
I like a weather system to be coming thru just before or at dawn. The deer will be wherever they spend the night and will come thru after the heavy rain passes. Yes - you have to go out in the rain and set up, maybe get wet. This is the most predictable i've ever seen public land deer.

june-bug

FNG
A buddy and I were just talking about this yesterday. He killed his personal best buck this past Sunday in the rain here in south Louisiana. It was definitely more than a light rain that afternoon. Not pouring but a good steady rain and he had good deer movement all afternoon.

fatlander

WKR
Some of my best whitetails hunts have been associated with rain events. The front edge of a cold front with rain is definitely number 1 as far as mature buck movement. Hunting close to bedding during steady rain has been very productive too. Deer get on their feet earlier and you can get closer because they can’t hear you. Just after a rain event stops is also a fantastic time to be hunting. By February you’ll forget all about being a little cold and uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk