Recommendations for AR15's in 6mm ARC? Anyone using one?

Riflman

FNG
I'm considering getting a light, compact, accurate AR15 in 6mm Arc for coyote hunting here in ND. Is anyone using one and if so, can you provide some details on what you like, don't like and maybe some recommendations on what I should consider?

SBR Sarge

FNG
Are you looking at factory or a home-built?

I built mine (an 18” Odin Works barrel and a 13” Bartlein barrel).

If you build, plan to spend money on a really good barrel, optic, and trigger. The rest is wayyy less important.

I shoot only factory ammo. In my rifles, the factory ELD-M and ELD-X have the same POI at 200 yards and are sub moa. Who could ask for more!?

I do not have any experience with factory 6mm ARC rifles.

Sample of one.
But my faxon barrel stacks cheap 223 ammo.

Maybe I'll get burned with a bad one. But im all faxon as of rite now.

TaperPin

WKR
I'm considering getting a light, compact, accurate AR15 in 6mm Arc for coyote hunting here in ND. Is anyone using one and if so, can you provide some details on what you like, don't like and maybe some recommendations on what I should consider?
I’m a fan of the cartridge and have a lower waiting, but I’m hesitant to buy an inexpensive bolt/barrel until a little more time has passed. I’ve heard enough stories of cracked lugs on factory rifles shooting factory ammo that I’m hoping in 6 months enough guns will develop issues to be able to tell which bolts to stay away from.

If I were to get one now I’d spend the extra money on a really good one.

I went with a Faxon fluted 20” barrel (2lbs) with carbon fiber handguard for my 6 ARC to keep it lightweight and found that it’s much more difficult to shoot accurately long range than my 20” .223 HBAR (3+lbs) with heavy duty aluminum hand guard.

That lightweight 6ARC rifle is itself very accurate—just difficult to shoot accurately from field positions. I’m thinking I should have gone with a heavier set-up for the 6 ARC. Probably some guys who shoot more would do fine with the lighter weight.

OP
Riflman

Riflman

FNG
I went with a Faxon fluted 20” barrel (2lbs) with carbon fiber handguard for my 6 ARC to keep it lightweight and found that it’s much more difficult to shoot accurately long range than my 20” .223 HBAR (3+lbs) with heavy duty aluminum hand guard.

That lightweight 6ARC rifle is itself very accurate—just difficult to shoot accurately from field positions. I’m thinking I should have gone with a heavier set-up for the 6 ARC. Probably some guys who shoot more would do fine with the lighter weight.
Good info. I was actually looking to to build a 14.4 with pinned brake/suppressor QD, to keep it as short as possible. I’ve seen YouTube videos of some guys using them for coyotes so thought it was fine but maybe not?? I’m guessing the AR-10 boots are quite beefier? I have limited experience with AR’s since I’m originally from Canada. I owned a few but didn’t shoot them much, even when I was in California, since getting out to shoot in general was tough and then they came out with lead free bullets for hunting. Now that I’m in the Midwest I’m looking for ward to some freedom and a nice AR.

I just built one for a buddy, we went with an 18” ballistic advantage barrage, adjustable gas block in an Aero Precison builder kit. The trigger is a LaRue and it’s topped with a NF 2.5-20x50. It’s not heavy, around 10lbs with ammo and a suppressor.

Once the gas block was adjusted it was zeroed at 100yds and confirmed data out to 400yds, all with factory ammo.

We built this rifle for about $2k.

dster3

FNG
Personally, I'd piece one together for 6 arc so you can pick and choose lighter weight components. My proof barrel shoots, have the SS version, but I'm sure their CF are just as good. Just make sure to get an adjustable gas block. Pick up a JP bolt, lap the receiver face and bed with locktite. I have mine shooting factory ammo sub minute pretty easily.

I've had a few different mags and all my "C-products" mags have ran flawlessly, 6 ARC and mags have a reputation for being finicky.

Jamescb77

FNG
This will be my next build now that I have the other bases covered. Personally I think they look like great performers

cal30_sniper

Lil-Rokslider
I built one up last year. Took it on my javelina hunt in AZ this spring. Didn’t see any javies, but did get some yotes. Performance in yotes with the 103 ELDX was great. Longest one taken so far was at 400yds on the rangefinder.

-proof 16” Carbon barrel with TBAC CB brake
-JP Enterprises bolt
-JP Enterprises Aluminum LMOS BCG
-JP Enterpises LMOS rifle buffer and spring
-V Seven receiver set
-V seven magnesium handguard
-Smoke composites grip/buttstock
-SLR titanium adjustable gas block
-Primary Arms PLX mount
-Leica Amplus 6 3-18X
-TBAC Ultra 7 Gen 2

As another poster stated, it shoots 103 ELDx and 108 ELDM at the same POA. I havent started loading for it yet, factory ammo works too well to mess with it.

293D0D56-8A76-46DD-8A73-AC9A2A29D179.jpeg
DB9B545E-5267-4071-A4F5-537946F0A0D5.jpeg
A6BA6296-F2C8-4876-9CE9-7E56FC56EAA1.jpeg

It shoots 0.5MOA out to 300yds. I haven’t shot it further than that on paper. Slighters + 10rd group at 100yds:
73752388-6D21-4699-8800-A5BE0C90C33B.jpeg
CF71332A-F030-4557-AF59-9E0B60B74DF5.jpeg

I’ve shot 6.5 Grendel for years, and ARC pretty much killed my interest in it. I’ll likely be rebarreling most of my Grendels to ARC as time goes on, it’s the better cartridge.

It’s a bit heavy, but I recommend looking at Stag Arms. I have one in 6.5 creedmore and it shoots very well.