Return elk tags in Montana

I am wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. How and when do you get on the alternate list for Montana elk tags? I can’t seem to find anything. I think I found that it has been around this time in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Don't worry it seems Montana FWP seemingly gave everyone an elk tag this year

I sense some sarcasm, but for what its worth, a couple of guys that were supposed to hunt with us sadly did not get one

OP
S

Well apparently not everyone! Haha! I actually got mine but my buddy did not. I know of a few people that got one last year off of the alternate list but who knows this year….

if you are in their system, you should get an email when it becomes available to sign up. At least for me this has been the case in the past.

usually in June a believe. then they random gernate a list and it goes spot by spot until no tags left. i got mine in the middle of rifle at spot 776. if its for archery and they arent top 300 names then good luck.

OP
S
I know it’s a long shot but you never know. Thanks for the info!

I know it’s a long shot but you never know. Thanks for the info!

A good bit of tags get returned. Peppe have to apply for them to get limited areas and many of those folks don’t draw. Then I think there is a decent sized crowd that gets tags then flakes out because cost and life.
I think less people will apply too as they raised the costs. 1100 is one thing but potentially 1500 now with bonus points for a couple years adds up.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Go on to your account and click on alternate list. You can do it now.

Erict

WKR
Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks gets a number of unused nonresident Combination licenses (Big Game Combo, General Elk and General Deer) returned by customers each year. FWP resells these returned licenses through our Alternates List.

The Alternates List is an option for nonresident hunters to express interest in purchasing one of the returned licenses mentioned above. A hunter can sign up to purchase their choice of nonresident combination license. Once the list is randomized and a license becomes available, the hunter at the top of the list will be contacted to finalize the purchase of the license.

How to sign up

Hunters can add their names to the Alternates List from May 16 until June 30, 2022 through MyFWP.

• Each hunter may only register on one combination license list (Big Game Combination, General Elk or General Deer), and is not eligible to purchase more than one nonresident combination license a year.
  • After the sign up period closes, the list of interested hunters will be randomized to determine each hunter’s prioritization on these lists.
Payment for the license fee is not required to sign up for the Alternates List. If your name comes up, you will be contacted with instructions on how to complete the purchase of the license. Being on this list or obtaining a license from this list has no effect on your existing preference points.

MyFWP allows you to check your relative position on the Alternates List after the list is randomized in mid-July. The odds of getting a license from these lists vary greatly from year to year. Refunds and issuance may occur at any time but availability of these license increases between early fall and the opening of general hunting season in late October.

Not everyone jut 1200non residents that never applied ,they also made bow season good from sept to November
I'm thinking the warden is gonna be really busy writing tickets this fall

I was contacted the other day, but for a limited entry tag. Called FWP and confirmed I couldn't get the tag anyway since I didn't have a general elk tag from the initial draw. So dunno what to say about that...

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Seems to be movement on the list as of today. Anyone know from past experience if they contact people daily or if it’s updated once a week, every 2 weeks, etc?

texx81

FNG
Montana FWP emailed me back and said they should be contacting folks in the next few weeks

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
When you get the email how long do you have before they move on and give your tag to the next person?

texx81

FNG
Hey guys, I actually had to check my FWP account to see I had been offered a returned tag. I never got an email. The FWP site gives you a window of when you can purchase them before moving on. I would guess 118's number has already been called.