Rifle question for you goat hunters

Pretty cool to turn around from glassing a hillside and see a Billy standing 7 yards away. We were wearing whites and he saw us earlier in the day as we were hiking up, guess he was curious cause he walked right to us. One of the coolest encounters I've ever had.

bkondeff

FNG
Not sure this thread is being followed by OP, but some things I would add from my goat hunt.

I wanted a lighter rifle so I bought and used a .280 in a REM Mt Rifle. ~7lbs all included and loaded. Shot well but those ultra-light rifles have jumpy barrels and often can't wear a brake safely with those thin barrels. You rarely need a lazer of a rifle, as you can usually get within 400 yards and often much closer. That said, I wouldn't want to screw up the shot. Those are tough critters hell bent on making your life and the life of your Taxi hell by cartwheeling down mountains and diving off cliffs if you leave an ounce of life in them.

So, my advice, don't skimp on caliber(.28 and up) and make sure you have a heavy enough rifle to hold steady in what can be crappy conditions. Lastly, I recommend a brake so the barrel jump is nearly eliminated so you can be back on target very very quick.

PS Getting scoped may be part of Mt Goat hunting, but ain't all that much fun.

Bighorse

WKR
Rifle

I hunt them with a 25-06. Tikka t3/leupold combo
110g Accubonds. Get close and shoot well. Central nervous system disruption for Dead-right-there. Overthink your mountain logistics. Don't fuss over the rifle.

JP100

WKR
But a Tikka in some thing like .270 or .300 win mag. a simple 3-9X40 Leupold scope and you wont be disappointed.

Last year I carried my clients Remington Sendaro in 300 ultra mag after he couldnt carry it further. At a leisurely 13 pounds it was quite a weapon.
Trust me heavy long guns will make your hunt harder. I have had hunters with all types of rifles, no one has ever complained about my Tikka.
You dont need to shoot 1000 yards to hunt mountian critters. Get close, shoot well. Leave the heavy guns at the range

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I hunt them with a 25-06. Tikka t3/leupold combo
110g Accubonds. Get close and shoot well. Central nervous system disruption for Dead-right-there. Overthink your mountain logistics. Don't fuss over the rifle.

Oh come on...I know you use your 416 Ruger on them as well. ;)

Bighorse

WKR
True, just because really. A man only gets so many opportunities to hunt with a rifle like that. Since leaving the ABC's I haven't hunted goats with it though. Without the threat of BB I'm fine with the smaller offering.

Brado16

WKR
Fortunate enough to have harvested my first goat in BC in 2012. Lets just say I wont be brining a 15LB 338 Lapua with on another goat hunt. I have shot two elk and a goat with this Lapua and I carried it in my pack.
126e6i9.jpg

2nth655.jpg

vpzz7p.jpg

Last year I had a 6.5 SAUM built that weighs about 10# scoped and its the perfect weight for me- light enough to carry but heavy enough to assist with stabilization in awkward real life hunting shots. Shot my CO Bull with this last year- Hopefully in the next few years I can try it out on another goat or sheep hunt.

141mih5.jpg

I've been on several goat hunts. Where we hunt in Colorado our hunting is all done over 12K. Every time I go I think I'm in great shape but my ass is always dragging by day 3 or 4! My first goat was taken with my old 6.5x55 1894 Swedish Mauser conversion. It was the only bolt rifle I had in my 20's to mid-30's, so it shot whitetail, muledeer, pronghorn, elk, moose, sheep, and goat! I now have several more options but still am fond of the old Swede. I'm heading back up into CO G12 this fall as my hunting buddy who helped me with my first goat in G12 finally drew! Get in shape and have fun!

View attachment 38088
View attachment 38089