RMGA Utah Survey

The Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance will be conducting a survey on Willard Peak this June 10th - 12th.
The 10th likely just being an orientation and the next two in the field looking at goats.
We'll see lots of goats and would like to have anyone come out and help.

OP
M
Cool to see the interest.
Last year we met at the DWR office on Friday and did an orientation then sat and sun where spent on the mountain looking for goats.
The days were spent in smaller groups tackling an area of the mountain. Hiking and glassing then repeat.

twall13

WKR
I'm interested but I don't think I could come the whole time that weekend.

I'm also interested in helping, and in finding out a little more about what a typical day involves. Do you camp up on the mountain, or drive down at night and back up in the mornings?

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I may be interested as well. Sounds like a cool experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M
We camped at inspiration point last year but could drive up and down if needed. Less than 90 minutes to several hotel choices I'd guess.
No need to stay the whole time if you can't.
At least one guy stayed down in town and glassed from the roads last year. He was successful in finding goats we couldn't see due to cliffs etc.
Not sure how to explain the daily activity stuff, we just hike around and look for goats. We had maps last year and mark where you see them. How many, and then break that down to kids, nanny and billys.

I think this sounds like a neat opportunity. As of right now I'm in. Will the schedule be pretty much the same - friday the 10th meet at the DWR office (which one exactly?) and 11th-12th on the mountain?

OP
M
Should be but I can provide updates to everyone as we get closer.
Its the Ogden office off of Adams and Washington Blvd.

OP
M
All,
We will be meeting at the DWR office (515 E 5300 S Ogden UT 84405) at 1pm on Friday June 10th to have an orientation and sign the proper paperwork. From there the plan is to proceed to Willard Basin and get ready for the survey Saturday and Sunday. Last year we camped up on the mountain and plan to do the same this year. If you wanted to stay in town you could do so and it would be around 75 minutes away.
Email Peter to get on the list but if you have other questions I can do my best to answer them here.

OP
M
Just a reminder that we are meeting tomorrow to get this kicked off.
Hope to see a bunch of Roksliders there.

twall13

WKR
I'm really bummed I can't come. I was really excited to spend some time behind my newly acquired Maven B2's and Promaster xc525c tripod. My son's baseball team has gone deeper into a tournament than anticipated and the wife planned a night out on Saturday. Between the two I'm stuck home this weekend. Have fun to those who are going.

I was really looking forward to going to, but looks like I'll be heading out on a trip for work soon and I need to spend some time with family before I go. Good luck to everyone.

Is this going to be a yearly thing on Willard peak? Hope so. I'd like to get involved. What about other locations in Utah?