Rookie Elk Hunt - Boston to Montana Solo

Disco14

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on a great bull and awesome story! That's a great trophy and its that much better to get it done solo DIY- a huge accomplishment!

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
Thanks everyone - it was an amazing trip with an amazing result. While I am (was?) an Elk Hunting rookie - I've hunted whitetails for 18 years or so, including 3-4 day camping trips in the snow in Vermont and Maine, and have sat through many a long cold day in a deer stand not seeing anything. So, Elk hunting can be the same in some ways, but completely different at the same time.

For those of you thinking about a trip - go for it, and then come back and share the story.

Some random thoughts: I'm already thinking about next year - can I devote the full 2 weeks? Solo was rewarding, but I'd love to have someone join me. My cow calling sucked under pressure and I need a lot of work. I need to give better thought to accessible high points where I can "listen" for bugles after dark and before dawn. I feel like I may have blown certain elk or herds out of certain areas. My gear was pretty well thought out, but I can improve some here. Backpack hunting is damn tough when you're trying to haul that gear on your back chasing a herd of Elk up a mountain - need to give better thought to Base/Spike/Bivy hunting and benefits of each. AKHUNTER mentioned the decoy - I had one in the truck, and ended up leaving it behind because I felt like I was over complicating things as a rookie, but I do feel I can find a way to incorporate it next time. Have to start putting in for tags across the West....

In any case - glad everyone enjoyed the story!

bz_711

WKR
Congrats on a well earned DIY elk! Looks like you have same disease I do now...elkoholism.
You beat the odds for sure...and sounds like you are on a nice honey hole...
Thanks for sharing!

Jim

FNG
Congratulations Brendan, that is a fine trophy. I find myself in your boots. i am currently getting ready for my first elk hunt and I too will be doing a solo backpack archery hunt. Your story is a real motivator. Congratulations.

Manosteel

WKR
Congrats and great write-up! Hunting solo is hard period! No other way to put it and it only gets harder when you are successful in connecting on an animal. But I would not have it any other way. You make you own luck, good or bad, and at the end of the day it's all on you if your hunt is successful, which makes it all the more satisfying if you do connect.

Tried a new partner for one weekend stint this year and it didn't work out. He cost me a shot at a monster 7x7 that I have been hunting for 3 years without getting a chance at a shot on until this year. As of now their are 2 guys I know I can trust and I don't have to worry about when hunting, my son and one of my best friends who moved back to Montana 2.5 years ago.

Last edited:

Shrek

WKR
Congratulations ! That was a tough trick to pull off for sure . I did my first trip solo last year and it was definitely a learning experience. I'm leaving tomorrow evening for Montana and after last year I can fully appreciate the feat you pulled off.

Congratulations on a successful solo hunt! All the hard work a preparation paid off, regardless of the fact that you filled your tag. Next time just fly to North Dakota and we'll make the trip together. I'm also a rookie and will be venturing out to MT next year. Planning on a solo hunt since I can't get anyone to commit, but I'd definitely like some company out there!