RRS PT Scout BTC-Pro vs Wiser Precision Nighthawk

Just ordered these two heads from S&S, not a lot of feedback on the Really Right Stuff PT Scout right now to compare to some of these other lightweight heads, hoping to put some info on here for anyone interested.

Any thing y’all wanna see when comparing these two side by side?

Btw, not planning on testing the Tricer LP Pan head next to these for those already wondering why it’s not in the mix, I already knocked it off the final line up for a few nitpicky things cuz I’m anal.

8fe75a56a651653c351999f2a19211b5.png

b55ab6a4130adeb87661961b74895c5e.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
How do these compare to the Outdoorsman pan heads?

The outdoorsman’s micro is either fully loose or fully locked, so no sort of fluid adjustable drag/tension on the pan/tilt like a fluid head (sirui VA-5 for example). The outdoorsman’s pan head I believe operates the same way.

These heads above while not fluid heads have the ability to adjust the drag and tension in the pan/tilt to get a fluid head feel but still in a very small package.

Hope that helps

bayangler

FNG
I've got a stx 95 and the RRS Scout does well with it, especially when you consider the weight. Honestly though, it's not as stable as using an Outdoorsman fluid head but that's a whole lot more to carry.

I also agree that the Scout allows for adjusted drag settings vs the Outdoorsman standard panhead (which is either on or off). That said, the Scout is pretty new so we'll see if there is more slippage under heavier optics when engaged over time.

bayangler

FNG
Yes, the RRS will lock up with a BTX 95 but it wouldn't be my first choice. If I'm willing to carry the BTX 95, a more robust head (heavier) would be better over longer periods of glassing.

Not sure about the VA5 as it's been a while but that head is significantly heavier so I would be shocked if it didn't handle the heavier optics better.

Unfortunately, experience is teaching me what is probably pretty obvious to someone who's smarter - while some heads are better than others, there is still no free lunch.

OP
thegoosano
I think the tricer looks cool, I actually have their original GTP-III so no hate on tricer.

I saw a mindful hunter review that mentioned the handle can’t tilt down parallel to the legs when strapped to the side of a pack. I like to keep my tripod in the tall size zip pockets in my exo k4 so I think the tricer would have issues fitting in there and zipping it closed. Again I’m just being anal and functionality wise probably no issue with the tricer.

I’d recommend watching that mindful hunter review though on YouTube for anyone interested in a direct comparison of the wiser nighthawk to the tricer.

ljalberta

WKR
I think the tricer looks cool, I actually have their original GTP-III so no hate on tricer.

I saw a mindful hunter review that mentioned the handle can’t tilt down parallel to the legs when strapped to the side of a pack. I like to keep my tripod in the tall size zip pockets in my exo k4 so I think the tricer would have issues fitting in there and zipping it closed. Again I’m just being anal and functionality wise probably no issue with the tricer.

I’d recommend watching that mindful hunter review though on YouTube for anyone interested in a direct comparison of the wiser nighthawk to the tricer.

I have the Tricer head in that pocket on an Aziak tripod. Heaps of room for more stuff in there and a non issue in my experience.

OP
thegoosano
I have the Tricer head in that pocket on an Aziak tripod. Heaps of room for more stuff in there and a non issue in my experience.

Good to know I have a gitzo this will go one I’ll compare collapses length. My buddy here in NM just told me he’s getting the tricer so I actually will toss it in this lineup to compare. He has a BTX 95, I have an STM 65 so should be a good broad range to throw on these little heads

bayangler

FNG
Got the PT Scout and Wiser yesterday. Pretty substantial difference in favor of the wiser…I’m very surprised.

I'm interested as well. I actually really like the PT Scout for what it is but I've never had my hands on a Wiser.

OP
thegoosano
Because of overall weight, performance or stability provided?

The biggest difference is the smoothness of the wiser. It’s just buttery smooth and easy to get the right tension/drag on the pan and especially the tilt compared to the RRS pt scout.

I recorded a video of each, not sure the best way to share that on here though. I got the tension/drag adjusted as best I could for both before recording. You can see with the pt scout that it “jumps” and isn’t smooth. You can imagine what this would be like trying to grid a hillside. The wiser on the other hand has a very nice “fluid” resistance that feels like a high end fluid head.

Quality wise the handle of the RRS is plastic and feels cheap. The wiser is carbon fiber, it’s not the highest quality carbon fiber but it’s still much nicer in the hand than the plastic PT Scout handle. Other than that the build is great on the PT scout. Another thing that I didn’t love on the PT Scout was that with the narrow width of the aziak bino clamp the middle of the pt scout is lower on one side and makes the binos lop sided.

One thing I worry about on the wiser is that you can see grease in the bearings/joints and worry these will get dust over time and become gritty. Time will tell.

If anyone has suggestions on sharing video let me know. I could maybe upload a private YouTube video and share it here?

parshal

WKR
Interesting. I have no jumpiness on the two Scouts I have. What I like is have set screws to preset tension. Does the Wiser have that?

I’m betting the exposed grease will collect dust but it’s not going to get into the inner workings with the tolerances. If it were mine I’d just wipe off the exposed grease before dragging it out in the environment.

I may have to get a Wiser to check out.