RRS PT Scout BTC-Pro vs Wiser Precision Nighthawk

OP
thegoosano
Interesting. I have no jumpiness on the two Scouts I have. What I like is have set screws to preset tension. Does the Wiser have that?

I’m betting the exposed grease will collect dust but it’s not going to get into the inner workings with the tolerances. If it were mine I’d just wipe off the exposed grease before dragging it out in the environment.

I may have to get a Wiser to check out.

Man I went back and tried to play more with that pretension and just couldn’t get it to match the wiser. You should definitely try one out and see your thoughts after being so familiar with the PT Scout, I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bayangler

FNG
Man I went back and tried to play more with that pretension and just couldn’t get it to match the wiser. You should definitely try one out and see your thoughts after being so familiar with the PT Scout, I’d be really interested to hear your thoughts.

My Scout doesn't have any what I would term "jumpiness" either. It feels pretty smooth but now you've got me wondering about the Wiser. Leave it to this site to fix a problem I didn't know I had LOL. What is the height difference between the two heads? The Wiser lists as 3" but does that include the Arca base plate?

I was ready to pull the trigger on an RRS Scout Head and ended up ordering a Wiser Head. I also ordered their binoculars strap/mount. Thanks for everyone who posted their feedback in this thread.

OP
thegoosano
My Scout doesn't have any what I would term "jumpiness" either. It feels pretty smooth but now you've got me wondering about the Wiser. Leave it to this site to fix a problem I didn't know I had LOL. What is the height difference between the two heads? The Wiser lists as 3" but does that include the Arca base plate?

Definitely less than 3”, looks like less than 2.75” actually, see photo.

I heard Steve from exo describe how he evaluates a good pan head that did a good job expressing how I felt about the PT scout. He said “with a spotter at full magnification, if a deer walked out of my field of view could I smoothly pan over and follow the deer to get it back in view.” I honestly don’t think I could do that with the PT Scout. I’m definitely willing to say it could be a lemon or user error because RRS makes some good equipment.

Also, when unscrewing the handle yesterday I’m pretty sure it stripped out the threads on the head. The handle male threads are steel and the head is aluminum, bits of aluminum came out when I took it apart. Called rob from S&S, big time let down there. It was only my second time I think unscrewing that handle and it’s meant to be very removable as advertised for packability.

b5aa599bd82ae8b8de971ac61f007885.jpg

OP
thegoosano
I was ready to pull the trigger on an RRS Scout Head and ended up ordering a Wiser Head. I also ordered their binoculars strap/mount. Thanks for everyone who posted their feedback in this thread.

Glad to help share my experience. If the wiser isn’t for you I’d recommend trying the Tricer or PT scout. Seems like a lot of other guys in here have very good things to say about the PT Scout and have obviously a lot more experience with it than me.

As for the Tricer my buddy [mention]ShakeDown [/mention]played with it at the CO Crowd Sourced Optics Review and immediately ordered one after leaving he was that impressed. So at half the price of the wiser and 1.5oz lighter it’s a great option. One thing btwn wiser and Tricer is the wiser has a lifetime warranty, Tricer does not so that’s something to consider.

Glad to help share my experience. If the wiser isn’t for you I’d recommend trying the Tricer or PT scout. Seems like a lot of other guys in here have very good things to say about the PT Scout and have obviously a lot more experience with it than me.

As for the Tricer my buddy [mention]ShakeDown [/mention]played with it at the CO Crowd Sourced Optics Review and immediately ordered one after leaving he was that impressed. So at half the price of the wiser and 1.5oz lighter it’s a great option. One thing btwn wiser and Tricer is the wiser has a lifetime warranty, Tricer does not so that’s something to consider.

Tricer doesn’t own a factory, they just import from China. A warranty from them would be pretty worthless long term. As long as there are good alternatives I’ll try to keep my dollars in the USA.

parshal

WKR
Got a Wiser today and compared it to my Scout. There is a little jerkiness in the tilt in the Scout but the pan between the two is identical. The tilt is very finicky on the Wiser. It's either full movement or tight in about a 1/32 of a turn. I like the ability on the Scout to pre-tension pan and tilt with set screws.

The arca plate on the Wiser is not the same dimensions as a true arca. It's loose when in an RRS clamp. Also, they don't give you a 3/8-1/4 adapter to use the arca plate. They give you only a 1/4" screw and the head takes a 3/8". I happened to have an adapter and properly sized arca plate.

The lack of 1/4-3/8 adapter seems like an oversight to me.

<edited>

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
Got a Wiser today and compared it to my Scout. There is a little jerkiness in the tilt in the Scout but the pan between the two is identical. The tilt is very finicky on the Wiser. It's either full movement or tight in about a 1/32 of a turn. I like the ability on the Scout to pre-tension pan and tilt with set screws.

The arca plate on the Wiser is not the same dimensions as a true arca. It's loose when in an RRS clamp. Also, they don't give you a 3/8-1/4 adapter to use the arca plate. They give you only a 1/4" screw and the head takes a 3/8". I happened to have an adapter and properly sized arca plate.

The lack of 1/4-3/8 adapter seems like an oversight to me.

Interesting, completely different experience with the tilt on the wiser. I have a ton of adjustability in the tension.

Mine came with a 3/8 screw not a 1/4, but it sounds like you’re trying to screw an arca plate to the bottom of the head to put it into an arca clamp underneath between the tripod and the wiser? Probably not included by wiser cuz most people are using this head to reduce as much weight and bulk as possible, adding anything extra below would start to defeat the purpose of this little micro head, but just my take and assumption.

cc6d8558453402a2d11205e0a33152fc.jpg

parshal

WKR
Yes, that's what mine came with. What's use of the arca plate if not to go on the bottom? Put it on whatever optic you're going to put on the head?

The Scout is arca on the bottom with a threaded hole if you want to directly attach it. I need it like that since I run my head in the Anvil. I just open the anvil clamp and pull the head off with the optic. The way Wiser seems to intend it is that you, more or less, permanently attach the head to your tripod with the threaded rod.

I weighed both heads with and without the handles. In each case, the Scout is less than half an ounce heavier.

OP
thegoosano
Yes, that's what mine came with. What's use of the arca plate if not to go on the bottom? Put it on whatever optic you're going to put on the head?

The Scout is arca on the bottom with a threaded hole if you want to directly attach it. I need it like that since I run my head in the Anvil. I just open the anvil clamp and pull the head off with the optic. The way Wiser seems to intend it is that you, more or less, permanently attach the head to your tripod with the threaded rod.

I weighed both heads with and without the handles. In each case, the Scout is less than half an ounce heavier.

Yep, I think that’s how a lot of people run their tripods, head screwed to the tripod directly through the 3/8 screw. The arca plate is included to connect to your optic.

Interesting, my scout was like 8oz, the wiser spot on at 6oz with the handle.

parshal

WKR
@thegoosano, have you removed the handle on the Wiser and tried to use the knob? The knob appears to be too long and things have to be moved about to get it on until tight. Then, it only has a little bit of adjustment before it hits the plate or part of the head. I have to be doing something wrong but I can't see what it is.

OP
thegoosano
@thegoosano, have you removed the handle on the Wiser and tried to use the knob? The knob appears to be too long and things have to be moved about to get it on until tight. Then, it only has a little bit of adjustment before it hits the plate or part of the head. I have to be doing something wrong but I can't see what it is.

Ya you can index the screw to make sure the lock has enough play to loosen and tighten. I think the instructions for the head mention that but can’t remember where I saw that. But ya I was sort of annoyed by that too

parshal

WKR
Indexing the bolt does work. Fairly straightforward when you understand what those instructions mean. There must be some interesting measurements on the underside of that bolt head and the recess to get it to reduce/increase the bolt protrusion.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Factory or not, based on the group outing we did like @ShakeDown I snagged a Tricer for $110 on sale and used it today. It is the best head I have. I haven’t used it as long as the VA5 and I have and assume that will be better for much bigger optics. But was smooth as can be today with binos.

Mine weighed 4.3oz.

Last edited:
OP
thegoosano
a1d5351466c132ec3ac5b7feb14d8293.jpg

6fab478c270785b07aade3abd5d90957.jpg

Got the tricer out next to the wiser today with [mention]warrant [/mention]. Very little difference btwn the two being honest. The tricer is equally as smooth and nearly identical in ability to lock and hold heavy optics. We were able to switch around btwn an STM 65, STX 65, BTX 95, EL 10x42, sig Zulu 6 16x42, and one if the new mini vortex spotters.

We left feeling like either one of these could work for all of these optics very well even the BTX though probably worth using something beefier for serious glassing with 85mm+ optics.

Pros for the wiser are that the clamp can be swapped out, con for the tricer is the clamp is built in. Although I think this lends to the tricer being lighter by 1.5oz with handles so the tricer wins in overall weight. Price goes to the tricer by a long shot but it also doesn’t have the lifetime warranty like the wiser.

So pick your poison, either of these heads will do what we’re all hoping they’ll do, smooth handling with good adjustable drag/tension, extremely small and light, and can shoot well above their weight class in performance with heavy optics.

Win win for anyone in the market.

Last edited: