Schnee Beartooth vs. Others

JARED_LA

FNG
Purchased the Beartooth and don't like them at all....feels like walking on 2x4's....are the Timberline's softer or more flexible? I'm coming from Salmon Quest 4's and love the feel...I understand apples to oranges, but wanting something in between...
Thanks for the input!

Article 4

WKR
I have some Beartooths and what I understand is that they are made to be Western/Mountain hunting boots and mine are 0 insulated. They are going to be stiffer than you are used to - they will also save your ankles and help you stabilize a heavy load in Elk/ Muley country
Have you looked up the stiffness ratings that most boots have? Usually from 1-5 easily or more complicates as flex index (A4-9, B1-3) is the scale most commonly used by the hiking and mountaineering boot makers. The scale starts at A4 (representing a soft flex and high cushioning) and moves through to B3

TSAMP

WKR
I think the beartooths took a good bit to break in for me. And at 0G insulation they still seem thick to me. I just compared to a buddies kenetreks with 200g and the beartooth seemed far thicker all around.

That said they've been my upland boot when it's below 50 for a few years and I have come to enjoy them and they've held up well.

I've had the Timberlines for a couple years now, I'd guess I have a couple hundred miles on them at this point. They still feel like walking on 2x4's to me compared to my Vivo's. The sole/shank feel very hard to me, even with Lathrop's inserts and what I would think is a sufficient amount of break-in time.

I always pack them when I expect to be in alpine or rocky terrain, but otherwise don't find myself reaching for them in most conditions these days.

That being said, I have never owned the Beartooth's and cannot give a side-by-side comparison on if they are less 2x4-ish than the Beartooths.

Yes definitely apples to oranges. Hiking boots to mountain boots.

I have beartooths and granites. I wear my beartooths a majority of the time. My granites I have for sheep and goats strictly. My brother has the timberlines and they are definitely softer than the beartooths but still a stiffer boot than the saloman quest 4's. It takes a good 50-60 miles to break in any of the schnees in my experiences with them, and they're still stiff but comfortable. Its no different than other comparable mountain boots. Once you get used to walking in them I think you will come to like them.

If wanting to stay with schnees I think their kestrels is probably what you're looking for.