Scope mounting to maintain zero

Dobermann

WKR
Yep, just had to re-look this up to check something ... and 'Sinful Colors' still gets me every time!

I just received this used SWFA 3-9x42 with its rings.
Should these rings be replaced???????
Thank you for this thread and your answer to my question!!!!!!!!
View attachment 624917
Those look like swfa rings and should be pretty solid. I have the swfa cantilever mount on one of my ar's and it's solid.

Like above post said, if they're in good shape and have clearance and work for your application, use them.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus I’m curious if you have found that applying thread locker to the ring cap screws increases the torque?

I mounted a scope for a buddy, it was a vortex pst Gen 2 5-25 with the vortex branded seekins rings. I applied blue thread locker and torqued to 17 in/lbs. The erector of the scope bound up and the parallax wouldn’t adjust. Obviously this is a junk scope, but I called vortex and they said the thread locker was increasing the torque value and causing the issue.

With nightforce scopes and rings do you still torque to 18 in/lbs? I know they call out 25 in their manual.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
@Formidilosus I’m curious if you have found that applying thread locker to the ring cap screws increases the torque?

I mounted a scope for a buddy, it was a vortex pst Gen 2 5-25 with the vortex branded seekins rings. I applied blue thread locker and torqued to 17 in/lbs. The erector of the scope bound up and the parallax wouldn’t adjust. Obviously this is a junk scope, but I called vortex and they said the thread locker was increasing the torque value and causing the issue.

That’s cop out BS. Blue Loctite has a K value of .2. Functionally it means nothing- the difference in torque between dry and loctite is inside the variability of most torque wrenches. The same scope can and will get bound erectors with 17 in-lbs dry as well.

With nightforce scopes and rings do you still torque to 18 in/lbs? I know they call out 25 in their manual.

No. Torque to 25 in-lbs.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
That’s cop out BS. Blue Loctite has a K value of .2. Functionally it means nothing- the difference in torque between dry and loctite is inside the variability of most torque wrenches. The same scope can and will get bound erectors with 17 in-lbs dry as well.

No. Torque to 25 in-lbs.
Sounds about right, thanks for the knowledge on the matter.

No. Torque to 25 in-lbs.

I disagree, the ring design has more to do with the torque needed. The manufacturer number is what i would consider the maximum. If spuhr or seekins say 18, then i’d go 18. I also have never found a need to use loctite on any ring connection point. Scope base for sure but not rings.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I disagree, the ring design has more to do with the torque needed. The manufacturer number is what i would consider the maximum. If spuhr or seekins say 18, then i’d go 18.

Can you point out where I stated anything about going beyond the ring spec? What you quoted was in reference to a scope company saying that their own ring specs break their scopes.

I also have never found a need to use loctite on any ring connection point. Scope base for sure but not rings.

Ok? If have never had scope ring cap screws come loose without degreasing and loctite, you need to shoot more.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
I disagree, the ring design has more to do with the torque needed. The manufacturer number is what i would consider the maximum. If spuhr or seekins say 18, then i’d go 18. I also have never found a need to use loctite on any ring connection point. Scope base for sure but not rings.
Vortex calls out 17 in/lbs and that amount bound up their scope with their rings at that amount.

Can you point out where I stated anything about going beyond the ring spec? What you quoted was in reference to a scope company saying that their own ring specs break their scopes.

Ok? If have never had scope ring cap screws come loose without degreasing and loctite, you need to shoot more.
My apologies I missed the part where he said rings and scope, I just read scope. My point was favor the rings number over the scope number especially if it's lower.

I shoot 2-3x a week and occasionally check things and never found any lose. That said I run the same rings or mounts on 90% of my guns, degreased and torqued to spec. I've found what works for me, if you're having to Loctite all your stuff, perhaps you need better rings.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My apologies I missed the part where he said rings and scope, I just read scope. My point was favor the rings number over the scope number especially if it's lower.

I shoot 2-3x a week and occasionally check things and never found any lose. That said I run the same rings or mounts on 90% of my guns, degreased and torqued to spec. I've found what works for me, if you're having to Loctite all your stuff, perhaps you need better rings.
What rifle, scope, and scope mounting system are you using that “never come loose.” What torque specs are you using for action screws, ring base, and ring top caps?

Genuinely curious and would love to learn if I’m missing an actually proven rifle/scope/scope mounting combo here.

longrange13

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure the rings are not out of alignment? I would say this is a good candidate for ring lapping.
No idea, it was all vortex’s equipment and properly mounted. We sent it all back and my buddy got a refund. He bought a nightforce after. I’ve never seen that happen before with a reputable brand.