Setting up a Tikka 6.5cm

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
Shopping around is never silly.

Always open to something different but at this point pretty invested in the tbac system with three cans that are cb mount. For my guns I have for whitetail hunting in the East I have a dt mount can at the moment.

atmat

WKR
A gunsmith can thread then permanently install its collar and thread to 5/8x24 so you can direct thread without bothering with adapters or brakes.
What goes into the permanent install? Is it just using a thread locker on it? If so, how is that different than just thread locking an adapter (other than how aesthetically pleasing yours looks compared to mine)?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
What goes into the permanent install? Is it just using a thread locker on it? If so, how is that different than just thread locking an adapter (other than how aesthetically pleasing yours looks compared to mine)?

According to the guys at thunderbeast, using those small adapters dosent solve the problems they are concerned about.

It seems like those adapters get used all the time with no issues though so im not really sure why TBAC takes such a strong stance on those when other companies don’t. I just wanted a more permanent solution and didn’t want to mess with adapters. I also absolutely didn’t want to have to deal with any sort of muzzle devices.

Also just for reference, those 2 barrels in the picture, one is my Kimber Montana 308 and the other is a tikka 30-06, both cut back to 18”. I shoot them with a banish 30 and a TBAC 7 gen2.

Last edited:

atmat

WKR
According to the guys at thunderbeast, using those small adapters dosent solve the problems they are concerned about.
I’m sorry, I’m still not sure I understand as I’m new to suppressors. What about yours solves any problems with adapters? Isn’t it just an adapter itself?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m sorry, I’m still not sure I understand as I’m new to suppressors. What about yours solves any problems with adapters? Isn’t it just an adapter itself?
Well its permanent so its less likely to loosen up, it provides an adequate shoulder and it simply allows me to not even have to think about adapters. I just thread on my can and shoot, no small adapters, no compromises, no muzzle devices.

Just personal preference. I used the small 1/2x28 to 5/8x24 adapters for awhile and just didnt like them so I had that done.

fwafwow

WKR
I had TBAC chop a T3 at 18" and install their brake on it. Worked fine with no drama. Being in Littleton, its an easy drop off there when you need it done.
I’m going to get TBAC to do the same for a T3x in 223. I was leaning more towards 16”, if doable.

The way that my smith did mine was to thread the barrel 5/8-24" back enough to thread the contoured collar on. While there isn't enough shoulder to properly mount the suppressor, there is enough to mount the collar. Additionally, once it is set (my smith uses epoxy rather than thread locker to make it "more permanent") the smith can check the face to ensure it is exactly 90 degrees from the bore axis and if there is a slight deviation, he can reface the collar to ensure perfect alignment. I use what is left of the original 5/8-24" threads to thread my suppressor on. No need to thread smaller and stack tolerances with an adapter.

atmat

WKR
The way that my smith did mine was to thread the barrel 5/8-24" back enough to thread the contoured collar on. While there isn't enough shoulder to properly mount the suppressor, there is enough to mount the collar. Additionally, once it is set (my smith uses epoxy rather than thread locker to make it "more permanent") the smith can check the face to ensure it is exactly 90 degrees from the bore axis and if there is a slight deviation, he can reface the collar to ensure perfect alignment. I use what is left of the original 5/8-24" threads to thread my suppressor on. No need to thread smaller and stack tolerances with an adapter.
Thanks, that’s a helpful explanation! I get ya now.

I’d argue you’re still stacking tolerances, as you’ve got an additional piece in the external collar. But I can see why you’d prefer that to a standard adapter.

ElPollo

WKR
I have a 6.5 Tikka cut to 16” with an AB Raptor 8-stack suppressor with a 3” reflex. The weight with the can and scope is 7.2#. Recoil-wise, it’s about like shooting a spring piston air rifle. The oal is a hair less than the stock barrel length. With my loads, I’m still >1800 fps at 650 yards at the elevations I tend to hunt. Be careful buying one of these. Your Bergara may get lonely and wander off for greener pastures.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I have a 6.5 Tikka cut to 16” with an AB Raptor 8-stack suppressor with a 3” reflex. The weight with the can and scope is 7.2#. Recoil-wise, it’s about like shooting a spring piston air rifle. The oal is a hair less than the stock barrel length. With my loads, I’m still >1800 fps at 650 yards at the elevations I tend to hunt. Be careful buying one of these. Your Bergara may get lonely and wander off for greener pastures.

If I get this the Bergara would be gone. That sounds awesome!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks, that’s a helpful explanation! I get ya now.

I’d argue you’re still stacking tolerances, as you’ve got an additional piece in the external collar. But I can see why you’d prefer that to a standard adapter.
Tolerance stacking dosent matter. Enough people shoot with all sorts of adapters/suppressors/different barrels and nothing happens. Of tolerance stacking was a real concern there would be examples of it.

The only reason TBAC says they don’t recommend the adapter thing with thin barrels is because the thread root ends up being too thin and dropping the barrel could damage the metal at a thin spot. Not because it’s going to blow up or something.

atmat

WKR
Tolerance stacking dosent matter. Enough people shoot with all sorts of adapters/suppressors/different barrels and nothing happens. Of tolerance stacking was a real concern there would be examples of it.

The only reason TBAC says they don’t recommend the adapter thing with thin barrels is because the thread root ends up being too thin and dropping the barrel could damage the metal at a thin spot. Not because it’s going to blow up or something.
Totally agree. I wasn’t trying to say it’s a dangerous thing; I was saying using the permanent collar method is still stacking tolerances. Either way I don’t think it matters much at all. Yours does look way nicer than mine though haha.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Totally agree. I wasn’t trying to say it’s a dangerous thing; I was saying using the permanent collar method is still stacking tolerances. Either way I don’t think it matters much at all. Yours does look way nicer than mine though haha.
I just wanted a basic setup that I could direct thread with no extra pieces or bulky muzzle devices. I’ve not used any muzzle attachment devices but I used a small adapter for a while and it worked fine. When I was sending barrels off to get threaded I just figured I should get exactly what I wanted.

Not to be argumentative, but doing it this way doesn’t add any more tolerance than threading a thicker barrel. The threads are cut in parallel with the bore axis and the seating surface is cut perpendicular to it in both cases. In these cases, the only tolerances are the differences in the can threads and the barrel threads and the two seating surfaces.

Adding in an adapter adds another interface which allows for “more tolerance”

All that being said, I am also in agreement with tinhorn_AK in that with today’s manufacturing capability, using an adapter isn’t really a risk.

atmat

WKR
Not to be argumentative, but doing it this way doesn’t add any more tolerance than threading a thicker barrel. The threads are cut in parallel with the bore axis and the seating surface is cut perpendicular to it in both cases. In these cases, the only tolerances are the differences in the can threads and the barrel threads and the two seating surfaces.

Adding in an adapter adds another interface which allows for “more tolerance”

All that being said, I am also in agreement with tinhorn_AK in that with today’s manufacturing capability, using an adapter isn’t really a risk.
Not taken as argumentative at all. Thanks for educating me — seriously. That make sense.