Share your no-prep/no-cook meal ideas

WillieIV

FNG
How long should some of that precooked chicken in a bag last after it's been opened? I've been thinking about making chicken and bacon tortilla sandwiches for lunches but I don't wanna catch the salmonella.

I'm wondering the same thing. Was thinking about opening the package up prior to leaving and vacuum sealing the chicken into two portions. Think that will work OK?

wagnon89

FNG
I'm wondering the same thing. Was thinking about opening the package up prior to leaving and vacuum sealing the chicken into two portions. Think that will work OK?

I was thinking the same thing. I'm just not sure if it'd be safe to eat after opening.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing. I'm just not sure if it'd be safe to eat after opening.

Hard to say, likely depends heavily on temps. We use the foil packets of canned salmon, tuna, and chicken and just open them when we are ready to eat. Usually mix into instant potatoes or just eat from the pouch, but no reason you couldn't use a packet of mayo and then put into a bagel or tortilla.

Rizzy

WKR
I haven't seen the bagged chicken or spam at Winco, where do you guys get those? Spam and MH eggs would be a great breakfast.

Another semi-hot option is to go with the esbit tabs at lunch time, heat the water as hot as it will go, then add it to your MH meal, seal the meal and put it in your pack to rehydrate during the afternoon. When you get to your campsite it is ready and waiting for you. It may only be warm, but you were going to go with a cold meal anyway.

Philipine brand dried mangos. Best thing for breakfast and a good snack too. YOu'll never get sick of them.

I met a guy on the PCT that claimed the the lightest high calorie food was Pringles. Crushed, you can fit two tubes worth of chips in one tube and just eat Pringles crumbs.

I make stacks of PB & Honey sandwiches, on those round 100 calories roll type bread thins. I also make stacks of American Cheese and Mustard ones on the same bread. They stack super well in zip lock bags.

I also get a variety of different bars.

And I make my own trail mix from Whole Foods, with a combo of bunches of things; I especially like to add banana chips and chocolate covered espresso beans. I put them in zip lock bags of 500 calories each; one per day.

Then I get a bunch of those vitamin filled gummy snacks in 100 calorie bags.

Total calories = 2500 per day, and I have a variety of taste sensations to look forward to and plenty of snacking throughout the day.

ProBars are my favorite, Prunes, Macadamia nuts. I have blue berry granola breakfast pouch form costco which is fantastic. Foil tuna is simple and clean. I like to add a little Idaho instant potato to MH, if I do go that route.

Ray

WKR
Philipine brand dried mangos. Best thing for breakfast and a good snack too. YOu'll never get sick of them.

I met a guy on the PCT that claimed the the lightest high calorie food was Pringles. Crushed, you can fit two tubes worth of chips in one tube and just eat Pringles crumbs.

Yes and yes. I have always wondered why el cheapo backcountry folk do not look at potato chips as a carb source. They do take up a huge amount of space and need to be crushed to get all that air out. However, they are seriously cheap and depending on the brand may have less sodium than a MH.

I always have coconut flesh with me as a snack. Now Costco has toasted coconut "chips". Stoopid awesome flavor.

My other "no prep" food are my dehydrated paleo "crackers" which I have listed in the cooking forum sticky.