Shooting mat recommendations

TaperPin

WKR
The evolution of man went from the ground to shooting bench back when we pronounced Neanderthals correctly. Now even us old guys are trying to enjoy the dirt again. Fine dry blowing dust is definitely an acquired taste, so to make it easier what are you guys using for big soft shooting mats? Seems like a lot of gear to avoid using a bench, but I’m giving it a go. After working in a crawlspace the girl working at my favorite muffin shop gave a 50% discount when I mentioned it was a tough morning because all the dirt made me look homeless, so there should be some upside to this.

Do you guys blow the dirt off with a cordless blower or shake it, fold the dirt in on itself and roll it up? A separate pad or tarp to keep muzzle blast from making dust devils? A bigger tarp then the shooting mat? What kind of spotting scope base works on a shooting mat? In the summer the iF temp gun says the ground is 140F - are you guys using pop ups when it’s not windy? Cordless fans? Normally someone lying on the ground around here is dragged into the shade and given CPR. 🙂

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use a voodoo shooting mat or just a plain old nemo switchback closed cell foam insulated pad.
Both work great although the voodoo has a bit more coverage.

Randy

TX_Diver

WKR
I've been happy with a cheap mat from midway that I got probably 7-8 years ago.

They often have their own stuff pretty heavily discounted around black friday too.

I just shake it off and roll it up. If it's wet I'll let it dry out first too. Not extremely padded but definitely beats laying on the ground.

I've been happy with a cheap mat from midway that I got probably 7-8 years ago.

They often have their own stuff pretty heavily discounted around black friday too.

I just shake it off and roll it up. If it's wet I'll let it dry out first too. Not extremely padded but definitely beats laying on the ground.

Plus one. This one is great.

OP
TaperPin

TaperPin

WKR
Thanks guys - it’s probably one of those things that you just have to get and use it a bit to know what you like.