SiG Zulu 9 11x45s the best $500 I've ever spent on a used pair of WAY better than average binoculars so far

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at these SiGs on the classifieds like a hawk for a very long time and noticed these are very hard sale Binoculars and often taking months to sell at $700 with sellers constantly bumping to renew their listings.

I came across a seller listed for $500 surprised to see no takers at all so I just bought them long after the fact and seller disclosed the problem with one of the eyecups not retracting properly. Reminds me of my Leupold BX3 I recently bought used from a seller on eBay who apparently screwed me over by not disclosing the eyepiece issue fully extended won't collapse and he even closed the return I initiated effectively blocking the return which is a first with absolutely no help even from eBay even after sending a complaint to them.

Anyway the SIG Zulu 9 is utterly fantastic it's leaps and bounds clearer than most of my $800 and under Binoculars and clearer than my Nikon Monarch HGs. Looks clearer than even my way more expensive Leupold BX5 Santiams and actually give my Swarovski NLPUREs a good run for their money as well and definitely has more noticeable pop and color.
Image quality looks very similar to my Maven B5s. They're even clearer than all three of my Athlon Midas UHD Gen 2 12x50s as well.

Chromatic aberration is very well controlled though there is a little during high contrast situations but manageable.

FOV looks adequate for an 11x reminds me of looking through typical 10s.

One and a quarter turns goes from around 4 feet to infinity counter clockwise and one revolution goes from 4 feet to 15 feet and one and a quarter goes to 60 yards and clear till 1000 yards what an incredible depth of field and less than 1/8 turn left till it stops at infinity.

This one appears to have a much better depth of field than even my 12x42 Swarovski NL Pures. No need to fiddle with the focus much unless glassing under 60 yards with these SiGs.

I really wonder how the more expensive Maven B2 version of this SiG Zulu 9 fares by comparison.

The image is so sharp it can actually replace most of my sub $800 12s.

I've seen them selling brand new for as low as just under $800 previously at Optics Planet and have heard that Midway USA used to sell them for as low as $500-$600 but haven't personally seen those prices years back nor had any interest in Binoculars at all at that time either.

Don't laugh but my $100 Bushnell Legacy WP 10x50 Porro Prism was the last one I thought had the best image pop for the money regarding "NAME BRAND Binoculars" followed by the Amazon Japan made newest 2023 8x42 Burris Signature HDs I recently posted the deals on and still do even compared to this SiG.

This SiG Zulu 9s are even clearer than the $65 ScoopX UHDs from eBay.

Edited to add that the ScoopX UHDs are no longer $65 and have gone up in price to $99.99 or $94.99 plus $18.60 shipping plus tax via cheapest seller on eBay and $165.00 plus tax on Amazon.

I will in the future refer these as the $100 ScoopX UHDs from now on.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
H

Hotmail

Lil-Rokslider
UPDATE good news and bad news here.

Apparently the ZULU 9 11x45s have a current 2023 MSRP of only $799 according to a SIG USA warranty customer service rep. SO WHY are dealers STILL selling them for MORE THAN $799 CURRENT MSRP?

Warranty was straight forward actually reminds me of Vortex with free return shipping label for warranty and they actually answer their phones unlike some other companies which are surely lacking customer service whenever you need warranty such as Bushnell and Riton just to name a few.

The gentleman at SIG was at first friendly and helpful just like Vortex over the phone and discussed possible options if they couldn't repair my 11x45s including replacement with a refurbished ZULU 9. I was kind of bummed hearing about possibly exchanging mine for one of their refurbished ones as a replacement what if the used replacement aren't in as good condition as the one I sent in? Actually the ones I sent in were not in great condition actually they looked like tryck Binoculars all dirty dusty and kinda beat up with some noticeably fine scratches on their lenses from obviously being WELL USED without storing then with their lens covers since they didn't include any lens covers whatsoever just the bare naked dirty dusty Binoculars and original factory SIG box with matching serial numbers on it and broken neck strap. I asked if they would consider replacing then with the ZULU 10 12x50s and he said that would be in fact totally out of the question not even an option whatsoever. So I actually expected a used refurbished ZULU 9. He seemed rather arrogant and rude when he stated the ZULU 10 weren't even an option to consider as a possible replacement with some obvious scoffing over the phone.

He sent me a prepaid FedEx return shipping label and I sent the one side broken eyepiece ZULU 9 11x45s in it's factory box on a Monday and included a hand written note about the issue and to please replace it with a 12x if they can't repair these 11x45s in hopes someone other than that same guy I spoke to reads it. Zero further communicational in the mean time except for an automated FedEx text stating my package arrived at it's destination on Thursday followed by an email on Saturday five days later stating a package had been sent and to expect it on Tuesday which is exactly eight days since I sent in the Zulu 9s.

On Tuesday to my surprise the box I received via FedEx contained a brand spanking new ZULU 10 in 10x50.

First I was kind of disappointed because they obviously didn't read my handwritten note to please replace with a 12x if they couldn't repair my 11s. I opened the box to inspect the BRAND SPANKING NEW ZULU 10 10x50s and noticed they aren't elephant pink as shown in all online stock photos rather army toy soldier or avocado inside flesh green color two toned with some copper near the eye pieces not even close to the pinkish stock photos online. I briefly looked through holy shit these are ridiculously crystal clear reminds me of the sharpness and details while looking through my two NL Pures.

I phoned SIG right after and asked to upgrade them to the 12x50s and I can pay the $50 difference in MSRP no problem spoke with a different customer service warranty guy this time and was told nope I had to include at least $700 plus the 10x50s in order to upgrade to the 12x50s and certainly NOT $50 because according to their 2023 SIG MSRP price sheet the 11x45s I sent in for warranty only cost MSRP $799 vs $1499 for the 12x50 Zulu 10s. I explained logically I'm trading in a $1449 ZULU 10 10x50 and it is in fact only $50 difference between this I'm wanting to send in to exchange for the 12x50s but no dice.

I think I'll just wait till places such as Midway USA runs a dirt cheap sale on SIGS again and expect to pau only $700 for the 12x50s and $800 for the 15x56 ZULU 10s because I already got better price solicitation offers through eBay sellers by adding them to my watchlist all of the retail priced brand spanking new 12x50s for $900 and $1150 and $1100 for the 15x56 Zulu 10s from different eBay sellers. Just imagine how much cheaper they can be without the 13% eBay seller fees added factored into their selling prices plus taxes? I'd buy from dealers willing to match eBay sellers' solicited lowest prices (less an additional 13%) who don't charge out of state tax and offer free shipping.