Silencerco Scythe TI review

You acknowledge this as well, but 10” of barrel will make a huge difference in sound suppression. If the sycthe sounded close with a “similar” power round (albeit smaller bullet so a suppression hit there too) and a 10” shorter barrel. It would no doubt be on par and likely better back to back with same gun/round.

I was comparing to the U7 off memory on the same gun because the two weren't really close on the significantly different rifles. The two different rifles weren't an equal comparison as you point out.

Just looked. Depending what values you look at the brake actually reduces db by a few. That matches what dead air says with their ebrake system as well fwiw. I think it’s counter intuitive.
IMO I wouldn’t put a break on to reduce noise (even if data slightly supports it….for some reason). The brakes I have used do appear to slightly reduce recoil and that’s a good reason if weight/length isn’t an issue. Any reduction in noise is just a weird benefit I guess.
I've seen where brakes don't increase Mil-Spec (1m to the side of muzzle) dB but the spec that seems more useful to me is at the shooters ear and I've not seen a brake have a positive impact at that location. The suppressor summit data on the omega 300 with and without anchor brake shows exactly that. The mil-spec location was slightly lower db WITH the anchor brake (doesn't make sense to me but ok). However, it was notably louder at shooters ear with the brake. Top row below is without anchor brake, bottom is with anchor brake. Left column is Shooters ear dB, Right column is shooters ear dBA

TBAC's published numbers for the RR line shows similar data. With the RR brake is fairly close to without at the Mil location but at shooters ear it metered 10ish dBA louder with the brake.

Last edited:

Tahoe1305

WKR
I was comparing to the U7 off memory on the same gun because the two weren't really close on the significantly different rifles. The two different rifles weren't an equal comparison as you point out.

I've seen where brakes don't increase Mil-Spec (1m to the side of muzzle) dB but the spec that seems more useful to me is at the shooters ear and I've not seen a brake have a positive impact at that location. The suppressor summit data on the omega 300 with and without anchor brake shows exactly that. The mil-spec location was slightly lower db WITH the anchor brake (doesn't make sense to me but ok). However, it was notably louder at shooters ear with the brake. Top row below is without anchor brake, bottom is with anchor brake. Left column is Shooters ear dB, Right column is shooters ear dBA

TBAC's published numbers for the RR line shows similar data. With the RR brake is fairly close to without at the Mil location but at shooters ear it metered 10ish dBA louder with the brake.
Yup just downloaded that summit data to excel to color code the data and agree ML is only stat that is lower with the brakes. SE and 225 both a tad bigger with SE being the biggest difference.

I can tell from experience and taking it off and on between shots, my ear can’t tell a difference but my muzzle rise is effected. Not sure our ears can hear 2-3db either though where the machines can.

Yup just downloaded that summit data to excel to color code the data and agree ML is only stat that is lower with the brakes. SE and 225 both a tad bigger with SE being the biggest difference.

I can tell from experience and taking it off and on between shots, my ear can’t tell a difference but my muzzle rise is effected. Not sure our ears can hear 2-3db either though where the machines can.

Agreed on a couple dB. But the Anchor brake took the Omega from performing very close to a Hyperion (not hyperion K) and Ultra 9 at the shooters ear to being outperformed by an ultra 5!

The new TBAC magnus S RR meters louder at the shooters ear than every 30 cal can in the suppressor summit!

FYG

FNG
Got my approval yesterday (59 days) and picked up my Scythe this morning.

Had some Hammers waiting in my mailbox when I got home…

Solid Saturday.

Sent my APR Maverick down to Alamo for a rebarrel to a 7 Saum and had it put in a XLR 4.0MG.

Can’t wait to get this project shooting.

Gleaned a lot of info from all the posts about this can and other rifle builds to put this together. Appreciate this site a ton.

View attachment 678254
Got my approval for my Scythe today after 57 days- I wasn't expecting anything until July, so I'm ecstatic.

madgrad02

WKR
Got my approval for my Scythe today after 57 days- I wasn't expecting anything until July, so I'm ecstatic.
Enough bragging already... sitting at 137 days for my Scythe... (118 days for my Sparrow, and 82 days for my Rugged Razor - not that I am keeping track 🤣).
All jokes aside, just kidding! Congrats! Maybe the man will "grant" me that privilege in the near future - there is hope! 🤞

Reactions: FYG

eltaco

WKR
Is there anywhere to find measured noise data between no brake, brake, and various suppressors in dB? I don’t own a sound meter, and know my phone won’t accurately report at these levels… but I’m genuinely curious what the differences would be.

Subjectively, my 6.5PRC with a brake sounds like an absolute canon. I made the mistake of accidentally shooting without EarPro one time and couldn’t believe how loud the thing was. With the Scythe-Ti, I honestly feel comfortable shooting short sessions or in a hunting environment without EarPro. That’s probably not smart (would love to have the measurements) but I didn’t experience any discomfort from a couple of trial shots. I’m not going to claim anyone should do this, but the difference to me was truly unbelievable between the two.

Tahoe1305

WKR
If someone gets a second can you throw the scythe (assumed Ti) direct thread adapter on a scale?

Thx. Curious how it compares to a few other options out there.

Lightest I’ve found to date is .72oz for 5/8s.

bpurtz

WKR
If someone gets a second can you throw the scythe (assumed Ti) direct thread adapter on a scale?

Thx. Curious how it compares to a few other options out there.

Lightest I’ve found to date is .72oz for 5/8s.
Look at post 263 by @wind gypsy

Scythe Ti is 7.3oz and 8.3oz with direct thread adapter...so 1 oz?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

Wow, glad I got the flat end cap, I doubt I’ll ever use the brake.

Ordered my Scythe Ti and (another) Sparrow today directly from SiCo. Just ordered the end cap as well from HB. I work at a shop and we are regularly seeing individuals come in under 2 months, shortest was yesterday at 25 days for anybody wondering. I file under my trust so I’ll probably be waiting 6 months.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ordered my Scythe Ti and (another) Sparrow today directly from SiCo. Just ordered the end cap as well from HB. I work at a shop and we are regularly seeing individuals come in under 2 months, shortest was yesterday at 25 days for anybody wondering. I file under my trust so I’ll probably be waiting 6 months.
I got my flat end cap in the mail today, seems like it’s really made well. Now I just need the silencer.

SloppyJ

WKR
Anyone compared the scythe to a AB raptor 8? I have a 10 stack and I'm wanting something shorter. I'll be ordering a Dilligent wolfhunter (6mm), either the raptor 8 or the scythe, and more than likely an Enticer L Ti here in the next couple of weeks. I'm stuck between the scythe, the raptor 8, or the enticer STi. The scythe will be lighter when you compare the Raptor with the reflex to it but I'm not sure what can will suppress better. I'm beyond impressed with the 10 stack and wouldn't mind a 2" reflex to go along with my 3".

Last edited:
Couldn’t help myself and ordered a 3 port anchor brake for mine to see if it reduces recoil even more. So I have the flat cap and 3 port now to fight with the one port brake.

I suck at spotting shots so I’m trying to take any help I can get.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Couldn’t help myself and ordered a 3 port anchor brake for mine to see if it reduces recoil even more. So I have the flat cap and 3 port not to fight with the one port brake.

I suck at spotting shots so I’m trying to take any help I can get.
Let us know how it does.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Anyone compared the scythe to a AB raptor 8? I have a 10 stack and I'm wanting something shorter. I'll be ordering a Dilligent wolfhunter (6mm), either the raptor 8 or the scythe, and more than likely an Enticer L Ti here in the next couple of weeks. I'm stuck between the scythe, the raptor 8, or the enticer STi. The scythe will be lighter when you compare the Raptor with the reflex to it but I'm not sure what can will suppress better. I'm beyond impressed with the 10 stack and wouldn't mind a 2" reflex to go along with my 3".
I’ve been interested in those diligent defense silencers too. Not like I need one but that s ti seems nice.

SloppyJ

WKR
I’ve been interested in those diligent defense silencers too. Not like I need one but that s ti seems nice.
As much as I don't like pew science and think there's something going on there, the enticer LTi is the quietest can at the shooters ear that they've tested. I'm interested in the otter creek cans too. Hell, I'm interested in all of them! These quick approvals lately aren't helping me save money!

bruno747

FNG
I have had my Scythe TI for a few weeks now. I have only run it on my bolt 300blk and bolt 6.5 Grendel. Both have been a delight to shoot with the Scythe on them.

Its also surprising the difference just a few ounces at the end of the barrel makes to the overall balance. The Scythe TI on my Grendel doesn't really affect the balance more than a slightly noticeable amount, toss a TBAC ultra 9 on the end and it feels wildly unbalanced.

Really looking forward to some whitetail hunting with the 300blk and Scythe TI this fall.