Silencerco Scythe TI review

Tahoe1305

WKR
Shot the Scythe next to an omega, DD STi, and DA Nomad LT.

Scythe is impressive for sure for its size. I took a video shooting them all but can’t upload.

Friends I sent it to thought it sounded most quiet on videos. I think live it was pretty tough to tell. Honestly all 4 are really close making the scythe more impressive being 1-2” shorter than the rest.

Attachments

• IMG_0340.jpeg
    IMG_0340.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:

WKR
Having shot the STI and the nomad LT on a 20" 7PRC, I can say the difference in sound and recoil is readily apparent and significant. It's hard to see how it would be similar to both, but maybe at a certain cartridge/barrel length it's possible? @Tahoe1305 , we're these all shot on the same rifle?

Tahoe1305

WKR
man, you’d think a nomad LT would outperform a scythe pretty easily.
Yeah again I’m not saying it wasn’t and I didn’t have any “metering” equipment. But to my ear while shooting it wasn’t enough to justify 2+” longer can.

Will be interesting to see when pew science or tbac start metering it with the others. May validate what the “bro science” is hearing.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Having shot the STI and the nomad LT on a 20" 7PRC, I can say the difference in sound and recoil is readily apparent and significant. It's hard to see how it would be similar to both, but maybe at a certain cartridge/barrel length it's possible? @Tahoe1305 , we're these all shot on the same rifle?
Same 24” 6.5C at same time. Let me see if I can upload my video.

Edit: watch this and tell me what you hear. My 5 year old was recording so….focus on sound and less video ;)

Also I do agree that the impulse/recoil with Nomad LT was reduced for sure.

Last edited:

WKR
Same 24” 6.5C at same time. Let me see if I can upload my video.

Edit: watch this and tell me what you hear. My 5 year old was recording so….focus on sound and less video ;)

It's definitely tough to tell in that video, I agree. Thanks for sharing that.

BjornF16

WKR
Yeah again I’m not saying it wasn’t and I didn’t have any “metering” equipment. But to my ear while shooting it wasn’t enough to justify 2+” longer can.

Will be interesting to see when pew science or tbac start metering it with the others. May validate what the “bro science” is hearing.
Firstly, everyone processes sound uniquely.

Secondly, while science says a 3 dB increase is a doubling of “loudness”, it isn’t as straightforward as that in the human hearing “interpretation”.

1-3 dB difference in measuring equipment might be indistinguishable to people.

From: https://www.abdengineering.com/blog/perception-vs-reality/
Reality:
Physics tells us that for every doubling of acoustical energy, there is a 3dB increase. Conversely, a 3dB decrease means the sound is cut in half. So, 3 is the magic number right? Well, not so fast. This is where we see a conflict between scientific calculations and perceived sound levels. “Perceived” sound levels report how our ears and brain interpret the sound. In other words, perception answers the question of “What sounds ‘twice as loud’?”

Perception:
Sound studies tell us time and again that a 3dBA increase in sound level is barely noticeable to the human ear. In fact, you have to raise a sound level by 5dBA before most listeners report a noticeable or significant change. Further, it takes a 10dBA increase before the average listener hears “double the sound.” That’s a far cry from 3dB.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Firstly, everyone processes sound uniquely.

Secondly, while science says a 3 dB increase is a doubling of “loudness”, it isn’t as straightforward as that in the human hearing “interpretation”.

1-3 dB difference in measuring equipment might be indistinguishable to people.

From: https://www.abdengineering.com/blog/perception-vs-reality/
But I guess that begs the question….

What matters most, what we perceive while shooting or the db metered value?

Good info btw.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
But I guess that begs the question….

What matters most, what we perceive while shooting or the db metered value?

Good info btw.
My guess is the metered value matters more because it represents the pressure our ear is exposed to.

What we perceive is a reflection of neural processing, which is a complex mix influenced by everything from prior damage to our hearing to how our conscious brain interprets things and the complex path through the brain that filters it before it reaches consciousness.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I placed an order for a DD STI. I also want a scythe, maybe Silencer Co will have a BOGO this year again and includes the scythe. Thank you @Tahoe1305 for sharing that video. It was tough to tell a difference.
STi is a sweet can. You’ll like it.

Here’s my guess when the Scythe numbers finally come out….

-STi and Scythe with be within a Db or two of each other. (Guessing Dominus about here)
-Omega 2-3 behind (ultra 7 about here)
-Nomad Lt 2-3 ahead (magnus about here).

Just my guess though. Think most pew science/summit data supports that (minus where Scythe will fall).

Anyone have a line on any scythes available anywhere?
Considering buying one as an individual to see if I can get it faster

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

GS-907

FNG
Went to my local FFL today to buy a scythe and a harvester Evo they had on sale. Ended up with a scythe X2 for $800 each. I'm hoping for Ludacris speed or maybe straight to plaid approval after my last 4 day jail stay. I have a 36M and ultra 5 I'll be comparing them to.
$800 for a Scythe Ti? Congratulations!! That's a deal. I also would buy more than one if I got that price.

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked one up, it is now in jail. Hopefully these wait times are as short as I keep hearing, it would be nice to have it by hunting season.
Is there a bigger break that can fit on the end?

GS-907

FNG
Just picked one up, it is now in jail. Hopefully these wait times are as short as I keep hearing, it would be nice to have it by hunting season.
Is there a bigger break that can fit on the end?

Yes. SilencerCo makes a triple brake that can be used in place of the single brake that comes with the Scythe Ti.

Prior to finding this thread I was looking at Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti, Tbac Ultra7 Gen 2 and the Banish backcountry. Now after finishing this read, it seems I have shifted my preferences to, in order: Scythe TI, DD S-Ti and lastly the Tbac Ultra7 Gen 2.

This is my first can purchase and as mentioned it can get a bit overwhelming. I am doing a lightweight 7PRC build and looking at a 20" barrel but considering an 18" after some mentions in this thread. Being weight and size conscious it seems the Scythe Ti checks all the boxes including decent sound reduction.

Not to high jack this thread but if anyone has a suggestion on a builder that can fit a barrel to my action that would be great.

Axlrod

WKR
Prior to finding this thread I was looking at Rugged Alaskan 360 Ti, Tbac Ultra7 Gen 2 and the Banish backcountry. Now after finishing this read, it seems I have shifted my preferences to, in order: Scythe TI, DD S-Ti and lastly the Tbac Ultra7 Gen 2.

This is my first can purchase and as mentioned it can get a bit overwhelming. I am doing a lightweight 7PRC build and looking at a 20" barrel but considering an 18" after some mentions in this thread. Being weight and size conscious it seems the Scythe Ti checks all the boxes including decent sound reduction.

Not to high jack this thread but if anyone has a suggestion on a builder that can fit a barrel to my action that would be great.
Take a look at Unknown Munitions. They are doing one for me now. Fair price and reasonable turnaround time.