Sitka traverse - zip t or hoody thoughts

Thinking about adding one of these to my line up.

I have a kelvin active but need a larger size. I like the active but I find that a fleece like a halstead or Patagonia r1 or r2 moves a little better foe me.

Was looking around and the traverse caught my eye as well. Thinking this could be a could midlayer with outlayer potential when not worn under something else.

Any general thoughts or experience?

Hood vs no hood?

Anyone use this and the kelvin active can comment on difference.

marktole

WKR
I have a traverse zip-t, it is a pretty good midlayer. I usually wear the traverse zip-t or a regular hoodie over a Sitka core lightweight base layer as needed. The weight/warmth on the traverse is just like a regular ole polyester hoodie I think. Although the fit is far more athletic.

I wish Sitka would come back to making the traverse zip hoodie. I have one in water fowl camo from several years ago and really enjoy having a hood vs the zip-t not having one, but that’s really a personal preference.

I do not have any experience with the kelvin active to compare though.

GPool1842

WKR
I wouldn’t take it on the mountain in September planning to wear it while hiking. That thing doesn’t breathe. I used to have one with a hood and regret selling it.

If you are targeting September archery, I think the heavyweight hoodie or zip is better suited for running and gunning. It better resembles the R1.

Traverse served me well whitetail/turkey/duck hunting in OK. Less active hunts.

Can’t comment on relation to the Kelvin Active.

Yes to the hood! Personal preference, but I don’t like hood on my baselayers. Prefer hood to be on mid and outer layers.

When you say hood vs no hood, I assume you are referring to the traverse zip-t vs the cold weather hoody?

Sitka's website does a terrible job at these two (the majority of their website is terrible) in my opinion. The zip-t is more of a mid layer with a pretty abrasion resistant outer fabric. I have one thats gray and is probably 8 years old. I wear it quite a bit, and probably more casually than hunting because its such a nice weight for around the house or some activity when a regular hooded sweatshirt might be a little too warm. They used to make it in a full zip hooded version which would probably be my favorite piece if I could find one. As far as breathability and all that, I can't really compare it to anything because I don't have much to compare it to.

The cold weather hoody is a way different top, and I would consider it more of an outer layer because its pretty big and bulky. The inside is a high loft berber fleece. I see the sitka website no longer shows pictures of the inside, but if you google it, you can find plenty of images. Casually, it could probably be my jacket all winter.

The cold weather hoody is 27+ oz, and the regular one is only 14, so that should give you an idea of how much bigger the hoody is.

OP
Desk Jockey
When you say hood vs no hood, I assume you are referring to the traverse zip-t vs the cold weather hoody?

Sitka's website does a terrible job at these two (the majority of their website is terrible) in my opinion. The zip-t is more of a mid layer with a pretty abrasion resistant outer fabric. I have one thats gray and is probably 8 years old. I wear it quite a bit, and probably more casually than hunting because its such a nice weight for around the house or some activity when a regular hooded sweatshirt might be a little too warm. They used to make it in a full zip hooded version which would probably be my favorite piece if I could find one. As far as breathability and all that, I can't really compare it to anything because I don't have much to compare it to.

The cold weather hoody is a way different top, and I would consider it more of an outer layer because its pretty big and bulky. The inside is a high loft berber fleece. I see the sitka website no longer shows pictures of the inside, but if you google it, you can find plenty of images. Casually, it could probably be my jacket all winter.

The cold weather hoody is 27+ oz, and the regular one is only 14, so that should give you an idea of how much bigger the hoody is.

Yes. Thanks. That helps a lot.

I should've added before, warmth-wise, the zip-t is probably pretty comparable to the core heavyweight or halstead, but I think it functions better than either of those as an outer layer because the outer fabric is better suited for it.

I've also used the FL sawtooth, sitka fanatic hoody, and now I'm trying a peloton 240 because I want a full zip, but if they made a traverse in a full zip, it would be my favorite of all of those I mentioned.