SKRE Complete Review (+ Giveaway!!!), by Travis Bertrand

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the alpine next to skin and the wasatch pulled over it this morning. Putting a few miles on soaked the alpine with sweat. I pulled off the wasatch and it was only slightly damp. Didn't seem like the alpine transferred moisture well but I guess it wasn't designed for that. I pulled the alpine and it took about ten minutes to completely dry at 80 with sight breeze. I found it acceptable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This hi line hat is very hot. I sweated this thing up like my head was a sprinkler. Dries very slowly. Does hold it's shape extremely well it's already been though the washer a couple times. Durability great just not for 90 degree temps
18e750eaafe704a0a232d8ca270b9fb0.jpg

a15d3e58602266529c5fa6d0befb548c.jpg

I also have a SKRE gray patch hat and it's one of the most comfortable hats I own. I like camo when I'm hunting turkeys they see color very well. I hope SKRE comes out with a mnt stealth camo mesh back warm weather cap.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was scheduled​ to hunt bears next week but I've injured my back. Not sure what happened but hopefully I heal up quick as it's my only week to go. No way right now I could backpack anywhere.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just ordered the mad trapper hoodie and another wasatch top during the 20% off father day sale. This should compliment my SKRE "collection" and get me though those cool August archery mornings at my glassing spot. I really didn't think I'd get the mad trapper but after a few mornings​ hunting turkeys in the desert I decided a hood would be nice and 20% off sealed my decision. I'll get the details up when they arrive.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
2xl mad trapper hoodie
c6fdc1a7214924bba12b8303a4104fb6.jpg

Opened the bag threw it on the scale than tried it on. This is the first piece of SKRE that didn't fit me great. Seems to be a bit short in the sleeves for my preference. I think that's probably a good thing and would fit 95% of people out there. Short in the sleeve is a pretty common problem I have when trying long sleeve shirts.
b6b94eacbc36a864698e77b547eade3f.jpg
SKRE logo on the chest and left cuff area.
8b0a2f5b215d58b94490a691f072ce4d.jpg
dual hand front pocket.
b2365e07e9a19c22835e443afbf509e0.jpg
sleeve cuff is rolled over itself and sewn together.
72ee8b8fb833326e44d0dd6b825ad765.jpg
100% polyester. Fabric feels heavier and "stiffer" than the wasatch top for reference.

I've contacted customer service and let them know about my sleeve issue. Sometimes up sizing works but most times the top gets to baggie in the body. Mike W really knows this product line so I'll see what his suggestion is. Kinda bummed this didn't work but great opportunity to report on CS.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Realunlucky, what base have you worn with the hardscrabble pants, and how low of temps?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Realunlucky, what base have you worn with the hardscrabble pants, and how low of temps?

The hardscrabble jacket is fleece lined the pants have no lining material. I only received the hardscrabble back in March so only gotten the chance to use the jacket a dozen times or so.
I've worn the pants tons from the upper 20's into 90's. 90* temps were a bit to much as expected. At 30* deg my legs never got cold but I was only glassing for a couple hours at a time and hiking uphill a bunch. I didn't wear any insulation under the pants during my testing.

Anyone try their Merino? I'm just curious if my opinion matches anyone elses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone try their Merino? I'm just curious if my opinion matches anyone elses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

MITM,

I have been running the SKRE merino, and here are my thoughts:

1. It is holding up better than average.
2. Sizing is in line with the other SKRE pieces.
3. It was itchier than other merino pieces I have tried (particularly FL) the first few times in the field. however, this went away after a couple washings, so either I got used to this wool, or the wool "broke in."
4. It has all the usual benefits for merino including soft feel, good moisture transport, quick drying, and low stink.

Overall, it has been a thumbs up for me, and reinforces SKRE's "good value" place in the market. I wore the merino during the Rokslide Bear Hunt, and it had the added benefit of taking permethrin treatment well, and kept me tick-free.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sent out a email to SKRE about my mad trapper hoodie and was promptly sent a return label. That's great customer service thanks Mike W.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just ordered the hardscrabble pants. This thread was very helpful. I had a great conversation with Mike on the phone earlier today too. Should I post here with my thoughts when they arrive?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just ordered the hardscrabble pants. This thread was very helpful. I had a great conversation with Mike on the phone earlier today too. Should I post here with my thoughts when they arrive?

Sure! We like to hear everyone's thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wore the hardscrabble with costco 32* base into the low 20 , high teens and my legs were fine

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wore the hardscrabble with costco 32* base into the low 20 , high teens and my legs were fine

Good to know. That's about the typical lows I'm expecting unless weather comes in which I have layers for.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quick update I decided to ultimately keep the mad trapper hoodie. Cuff length was close and I talked to someone who could modify if it's truly an issue.
This piece will make a great outer layer for early archery season, and a great mid layer as temps drop. I'm heading out to the West desert in a couple hours to scout my deer unit. I'm sure I'll get a chance to wear the trapper.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally got a chance to scout my draw unit. Temps were upper 40s with a ton of wind. I wore the wasatch and the mad trapper and was fine hiking and settled out of the wind. Luckily the puffy was tucked away in my pack because the boy forgot his. You can never over pack when you bring the kids
ab672e798bc0794d925c5489aad87c9a.jpg

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This guy seems to be growing twice as fast as the other bucks we found.
9906efb744eaa7515a67fca3fea91975.jpg

I was pretty impressed with the warmth of the hoodie
db5aa1491eeea9a01f3de695131bb744.jpg
the hood has great coverage but doesn't hang down in your face like some I've worn

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hardscrabble pants have arrived. I'll start with my ordering experiance. I spoke to Mike W. by phone on Friday. In short the conversation felt natural like I called a buddy to talk gear. We talked about product ideas/improvements, how skre values feedback, their new pattern, and a bit about their r&d process. I feel they really are making gear for the hunter not just in the market for profit. So I ordered after hours on Friday, shipped early Monday, arrived Wednesday.

I've been looking for pants to handle the Western slope of Colorado in November but still have gas money to get there. These should work.

I've read in a few places people wanting a comparison to the attack pants. Hardscrabble has a tighter weave material, exactly what I wanted with out any lining.

Fit is great! I ordered 34 regular (34 inseam), inseam is spot on. Waist I'll call it a 33. I may get a 32 in their light pants as layering isn't as important. Definitely not skinny jean cut, not too baggy.

Construction. After reading a few comments about lose threads I thoroughly inspected mine but found none. Very well made.

Pockets, I can get my hand in them! Seriously it's a problem with another brand. Cargos are plenty deep. Rear pockets are a bit shallow and narrow. Not a big deal for me as I only put liner gloves in my rear pockets. Hand and cargo pockets are mesh, rear pockets are not, I like that. Hand pockets are shallow but any deaper they would get under the cargo pockets. I'm really happy with the cargo pocket placement and will gladly accept the hand pocket as it is.

Miscellaneous thoughts. Hip vents have a softer material than my tiburons. I've noticed that to be a benefit as the skre material falls away not getting caught in the zipper. Zipper pulls are kinda awkward looking but I look forward to easily finding them with gloves on. Not dig on the design it really is function over fashion. Zipper function so far so good. Material is a bit shiny but I imagine it will get better with use. They stretch great

The pattern is dark but functional. Hard to explain but their is some light color and many different shapes in it. If I look at for a minute my focus constantly changes, a good thing? Think of it as a digital tree trunk. I'm usually in timber during archery season and would prefer this to optifade open country which I find too light.

Gonna update this weekend after some field use.

Ive worn the crap out of my mad trapper hoodie things my fav piece in a long time. This was train to hunt reno was high 40's low 50 and wind i had tshirt only under. Camo looks good in that sagey setting

a8edfb9af930c46d90a9988e385642b5.jpg

Last edited: