Sleeping bag for First Western Trip

vtracer41

FNG
I'm starting to compile gear, or a list at least, for our first trip from the east coast this year to Idaho for archery elk in September. This year we are just going to be day hunting from the truck/campsite. As much as I would like a brand new kifaru bag or something, I'd rather upgrade my 30 year old bow before spending a ton on a lightweight bag that I wont be carrying around this year. I was wondering, being on a budget, could I get away with a real cheap 0 degree coleman bag or something, since weight isn't an issue? Like I said, it will be in september in Idaho, under 8k feet definitely.

For truck/campsite camping I think that would be fine - maybe even preferable. Depending on the weather and what part of September you may be sleeping with it wide open or on top of it, but nothing wrong with that. Might go with the old classic rectangle duck canvas with the cotton flannel lining bags in 0-15 degree. You'll never use it for backcountry camping/hunting but they are awful comfortable and everyone needs one of those in their arsenal IMO! Not bad for kids/company around the house either.

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a really good bag we took to the North Slope with us last fall. It was great, really warm. We had an evening where the temps dropped from 70 degrees to 19 degrees in 5 hours. Plus a sustained 40 mph blow with gusts upward of 55mph range. We were just fine and warm. Solid bags, not light enough for backpack hunting, but last forever too.

https://www.wiggys.com/specials/sale-acu-marpat-super-light-mummy-style-sleeping-bag/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk