Slim's solo AZ adventure! (Live hunt)

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Still haven't seen any good bucks yet. Only 2 fork mulies and one fork coues. A lot of does, both mule a coues and no bucks with them yet.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
I put on about 7 miles today working different glassing points. In the last 2 days I've seen 30+ mule deer and 30+ coues deer. Out of all these deer, only 4 of the mule deer were bucks (all forks) and 3 of the coues were bucks (2 small forks and a spike). I really don't think that the rut is in full swing yet. I seen one small muley buck that was with does, raking (thrashing) a bush, so the rut is about to start. No noses in the air yet sniffing the does. I bet another week or so in this unit I'm at and it'll be on because I usually come down each year after New Years and the rut is in full swing.

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Heading out again this last morning to glass up some bucks before I head home to process my meat. If I see something good, I'll be back at the new year with a new tag in hand! Gotta love AZ and the OTC opportunities. Hopefully I'll have some good pics for you.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man the wind is really blowing this morning in Yuma hope your not having to deal with it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
ZERO deer so far today. I have never had a morning glass here not produce any deer. Kinda weird. Maybe they'll come strolling over a ridge line soon. I'm gonna give it another hour or so

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
5314e3fef476a19b64b79f2942765e3f.jpg
could be worse I'll be spitting sand out for days

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good job on that buck, I agree with you on the rut not starting yet, I was in Unit 20C for the last 4 days, saw lots of does, many groups of does with no bucks. I only saw 3 bucks all weekend, 2 were about the size of yours and a spike. No rut activity at all.

Mike

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Well it looks like this hunt has come to an end. Sorry it wasn't more exciting but that's hunting. You just never know and that's half of the enjoyment for me. It looks like there is supposed to be a storm hitting Thursday thru Christmas. I bet after Christmas it'll really start going good. I'm glad that I made the decision I made with taking that buck. It's going to feed my family with organic protein for months to come and it's not too shabby for an OTC buck. This brings my 2016 big game hunting to an end and what a great year it was!
January 2016 AZ

August 2016 NV

August 2016 UT missed ranged opportunity but still fun

And December 2016 AZ

Almost a hat trick for all three states but 2 out of 3 isn't bad when you hunt with a bow spot and stalk. Next year I should draw elk in at least 2 states and I'm going bear hunting so maybe I'll top it next year, we'll see!!
Thank you to all who followed this hunt!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for taking us along, SJ.

Congrats on a great year!

Hope to check in with you when I am at SHOT next month.

bbrown

WKR
Congrats man! But now that you are done what the hell am I going to do to kill time until I leave in 2 weeks for my hunt? Work I guess but that sounds terrible...

OP
Slim Jim

Slim Jim

WKR
Congrats man! But now that you are done what the hell am I going to do to kill time until I leave in 2 weeks for my hunt? Work I guess but that sounds terrible...

Hahaha thanks man! That's funny..
Hunting is weird like that, sometimes you're successful last light of last day or 1st stalk of first day, you just never know. Good luck on your hunt brother, I hope you have a successful hunt as well. Can't wait for pics