Smoked Summer Sausage Saturday

Looks good! I don’t make as much summer sausage as I used to since I quit processing WG. Will still make anything someone wants if they bring in their trimmings. Still make quite a bit from beef and pork. Two of my favorites are green chile/cheese and bologna.

You don’t need to if you have a fast way to cool them down. I have a hot and cold water connection on my commercial smoker. I shower them with cold water then hang in the cooler to finish. I would use an ice bath if I made them at home.

KID

FNG
Made some on Sunday, had to bail on the process to help get an elk off the hill. They got a little nuked. Didn't quite turn out to standard but the kids are eating it up.

Squirrels

WKR
Starting tempature low and raising it by 20 degrees once the meat gets to within 10 degrees of smoker tempature was one thing I learned early with summer sausage. This avoids pushing the fat to the outer edges and keeping a uniform product. I learned a bunch the first batch I made before I ever got started. Stopped by a local butcher shop to get some fat and told the guy what I was doing. He spent the next 45 minutes educating me on how to do. Invaluable information I received for free.

jmez

WKR
You also never let the smoker temp get over 180. Anything over 180 will melt the fat.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Eli80

FNG
To stop the cooking process
It also helps keep the fat intact and the casings tight. If you think of a shriveled hotdog that’s cool down that’s a good visual of what you are trying to avoid

T28w

WKR
It also helps keep the fat intact and the casings tight. If you think of a shriveled hotdog that’s cool down that’s a good visual of what you are trying to avoid
So that’s why mine is ended up like that lol. They still ate pretty good.

Anyone ever tried packing the casings straight from the funnel that you can attach to the lem grinder?

I was thinking of giving my first try on sausage this year and wondered if that is worth trying or if I should just ask for a sausage stuffer for Christmas

TodOz

FNG
Anyone ever tried packing the casings straight from the funnel that you can attach to the lem grinder?

I was thinking of giving my first try on sausage this year and wondered if that is worth trying or if I should just ask for a sausage stuffer for Christmas
I've done this and it works very well. I have my daughter handle the casing as I put the mixed meat through the grinder. I generally mix the ground venison, pork, and seasoning etc. by hand and then run it through the grinder into the casings.

BDRam16

WKR

I just did this using a different brand grinder for the first time yesterday. They’re actually in the smoker right now. I wouldn’t do it again without a stuffer. It worked, but it was a chore. I used cheese in mine and it was gumming up the plate pretty bad. I’ll be curious to see how much cheese actually made it into the casing tomorrow.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR

It works.

That’s all I ever used until I borrowed my buddy’s stuffer for these batches.

A world of difference. Biggest is I can do it all by myself

I just did this using a different brand grinder for the first time yesterday. They’re actually in the smoker right now. I wouldn’t do it again without a stuffer. It worked, but it was a chore. I used cheese in mine and it was gumming up the plate pretty bad. I’ll be curious to see how much cheese actually made it into the casing tomorrow.

I'm not a cheese sausage guy, so I'm good on that end!

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Doing my first batch tomorrow. All I could find local was the hi-mountain mix so hope it’s good!

Eli80

FNG
Good luck with it! They make a decent mix. I rarely worry about perfection whenever making something new and pay more attention to the process. I’m hooked now