Solo archery Elk tactics.

Wanted to start a thread on solo
hunting tactics for archery. A lot of us aren't as fortunate to have partners to
hunt with. I'm interested to see how the majority get it done and what they think is important to practice. I struggled over the last 2 years and finally got my first elk.

Here's what worked for me. Last weekend of the season I basically ran in on a bugling bull after pussy footing around all season. I went in cow calling, wind in my face, and busting brush. When I got into what I thought was close, less than 50(never saw him, it was thick) I dropped to my knees which gave me some better shooting lanes in the under story and ripped off a bugle. I could hear his cows moving off as he came barreling through the brush just as I raised my bow. I wasn't able to come to full draw in time, only had a frontal anyways...He turned a minute later after seeing no elk, I then came to full draw, turned my head and bugled once more with just the reed. He paralleled me and I ended up getting a broadside shot at about 20 a few seconds later. Double lunged him and I watched him tip over through the timber.

Aggressiveness and thick timber let me get in close. I also practiced a lot more this last year through brush and obstacles at 20-30 without a range finder which gave me the confidence to make the shot. Yes it cost me(arrows) but I hear a lot about practicing long distance which I still do but I think being confident in tight situations was more beneficial to my solo elk hunting success.

88434e225b612295592bab34c57ef7a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanted to start a thread on solo
hunting tactics for archery. A lot of us aren't as fortunate to have partners to
hunt with. I'm interested to see how the majority get it done and what they think is important to practice. I struggled over the last 2 years and finally got my first elk.

Here's what worked for me. Last weekend of the season I basically ran in on a bugling bull after pussy footing around all season. I went in cow calling, wind in my face, and busting brush. When I got into what I thought was close, less than 50(never saw him, it was thick) I dropped to my knees which gave me some better shooting lanes in the under story and ripped off a bugle. I could hear his cows moving off as he came barreling through the brush just as I raised my bow. I wasn't able to come to full draw in time, only had a frontal anyways...He turned a minute later after seeing no elk, I then came to full draw, turned my head and bugled once more with just the reed. He paralleled me and I ended up getting a broadside shot at about 20 a few seconds later. Double lunged him and I watched him tip over through the timber.

Aggressiveness and thick timber let me get in close. I also practiced a lot more this last year through brush and obstacles at 20-30 without a range finder which gave me the confidence to make the shot. Yes it cost me(arrows) but I hear a lot about practicing long distance which I still do but I think being confident in tight situations was more beneficial to my solo elk hunting success.

88434e225b612295592bab34c57ef7a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool story and very very nice bull. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aggressive is all I know has worked many times on herd bulls having chased them for hours sometimes until I got the shot other times well I had a lot of fun👍I prefer the dense vegetation to be able to get aggressive with up close in your face action.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same quandary. I have a draw tag in Wyoming, no partner and I’ll be dammed if I’ll be babysat. What worries me is taking off towards a bull only to run into him at the halfway point and watching him say “What the _____!!!!!” and running 80 mpg out of my life forever....

oldgoat

WKR
Haven't been overly successful, but just about every time I've actually got a shot off, it was aided by a decoy. Especially true if using stick bows!

Brendan

WKR
When you start calling - you better damn well be ready. Was sitting in the middle of an open area next to a stream listening to a bull bugle on a steep slope trying to decide how I could get closer. Let off a couple lazy cow calls at about 2 in the afternoon, and I'd be damned if he didn't come charging down off that slope across the stream and into the open 25 yards from me...

Know your limits - and whether you'll take a frontal shot in advance, because when you're solo, that's a shot that you're likely to be presented with. But, be honest with yourself in the heat of the moment. I took it once, successfully. But I had to pass it once (same bull as above) because with the adrenaline I couldn't settle my pin down enough in time. When in doubt - PASS.

This isn't just solo, but mix it up. Study different approaches and try and learn why different people call and hunt elk differently. I've had some luck with Elknut's methods. But, I also like Chris Roe's approach and have used his less aggressive cow calling approaches with success. I've had a couple nice bulls come charging in (one away from his herd of cows) just to lost / assembly mews.

Have a plan for what you're going to do when you get an Elk down. For me - it's not quick to get an animal broken down by myself. And getting it out can be a multi-day affair depending on where you are. 2016 I shot my bull 1/2 hour before sunrise. It was around 6PM when I got to the truck with the first load...

oldgoat

WKR
When you start calling - you better damn well be ready. Was sitting in the middle of an open area next to a stream listening to a bull bugle on a steep slope trying to decide how I could get closer. Let off a couple lazy cow calls at about 2 in the afternoon, and I'd be damned if he didn't come charging down off that slope across the stream and into the open 25 yards from me...

Know your limits - and whether you'll take a frontal shot in advance, because when you're solo, that's a shot that you're likely to be presented with. But, be honest with yourself in the heat of the moment. I took it once, successfully. But I had to pass it once (same bull as above) because with the adrenaline I couldn't settle my pin down enough in time. When in doubt - PASS.

This isn't just solo, but mix it up. Study different approaches and try and learn why different people call and hunt elk differently. I've had some luck with Elknut's methods. But, I also like Chris Roe's approach and have used his less aggressive cow calling approaches with success. I've had a couple nice bulls come charging in (one away from his herd of cows) just to lost / assembly mews.

Have a plan for what you're going to do when you get an Elk down. For me - it's not quick to get an animal broken down by myself. And getting it out can be a multi-day affair depending on where you are. 2016 I shot my bull 1/2 hour before sunrise. It was around 6PM when I got to the truck with the first load...
Very good point, if you call and you don't even have to do it well, be ready and in position to shoot!

md126

WKR
How about early season solo tactics when they’re not as vocal or pressured OTC areas. Any thoughts? Thanks

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
How about early season solo tactics when they’re not as vocal or pressured OTC areas. Any thoughts? Thanks

To me, this is a tough nut to crack solo. A decoy will help but a shooter caller is really helpful in the above situations.

Brendan

WKR

Here's how I'd do it. I'd be out at night or before first light letting out location bugles in the dark. Never know where you're going to get an Elk to sound off.

Then I'd be covering ground during the day until I found an area with fresh Elk sign, even if it meant relocating until I found / heard something. Then - I'd set up in areas letting out advertising or cold calling sequences. Pay attention to setup, doing your best to "block" a downwind approach. Then wait 30-45 minutes after I stopped calling each time, sitting completely still waiting for an Elk to come in silently. I've had that happen multiple times, but haven't closed the deal on one... Usually i scare them off because I leave too early.

If I was in an area where there was any open terrain - I'd supplement the above with glassing at first and last light...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
What worries me is taking off towards a bull only to run into him at the halfway point and watching him say “What the _____!!!!!” and running 80 mpg out of my life forever....

That happens. Just one of the risks with being aggressive. Accept it and move on. I've had bulls stay put while moving in, and I've had bulls come running in. I usually like to get a feel for what they're doing before barreling right into his lap. But sometimes they hang up and hang up so I make the move.........about the same time he decides to also make the move and we end up meeting at close range.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Early season I’m looking for used wallows and fresh rubs as my cameras show the first week of September Until around the 10th they willl hit them often and aren’t too far away. Sitting can be good but difficult for those that like to wander myself included. 3 yrs ago had 3 friends all shoot great bulls over wallows around the 10th when bugling was limited.

Early to me is August 19th... a lot of sitting the first week if I did my scouting right with trail cameras. After the first-week things to start picking up and they become increasingly vocal where I hunt. I always start off with cow calls and move to bugles.

With that said, what I'm saying, how I'm saying it, and where I'm saying it all come back to Chris Roe's excellent website.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good stuff, one other thing I will do depending on terrain is to move slightly downwind from where you have called if you are going to sit quiet for a few minutes. Moving is a double edged sword, but can buy you a few precious yards or a better angle and shooting lanes.

Huntinman57

Lil-Rokslider
Great info guys this year will be my first year elk hunting trying to soak up as much info as possible. My goal is to just be into elk.