Solo archery hunting?

desertcj

WKR
I'm doing a solo 5 day backpack trip for deer in Aug(Bow hunting). I'm not focusing on bear, but I do have a bear tag. If I do get a shot at a black bear, is it foolish to arrow one alone? What if I have a 9mm as well just in case? I don't like the idea and of course I'd rather have somebody else as backup, but I don't want to pass up a shot either? What do you think?

_Nick_

WKR
I'm doing a solo 5 day backpack trip for deer in Aug(Bow hunting). I'm not focusing on bear, but I do have a bear tag. If I do get a shot at a black bear, is it foolish to arrow one alone? What if I have a 9mm as well just in case? I don't like the idea and of course I'd rather have somebody else as backup, but I don't want to pass up a shot either? What do you think?

Well, one problem with that idea is that it's against regs to carry a sidearm while archery hunting in CA (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#354). I do think that is a particularly annoying/stupid/dangerous rule, but it's the rules.

Another thought will be temperature/packing out... what temps will you be looking at? My guess is that you'd need at least two trips out with the bear and if it's super hot, that might be a problem as well.

But, if I could figure out a way to keep the meat/hide cool (say cooling the hide in trashbag in creek), I'd take the shot. I think risk of attack is relatively low...

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
Well, one problem with that idea is that it's against regs to carry a sidearm while archery hunting in CA (http://www.fgc.ca.gov/regulations/current/mammalregs.aspx#354). I do think that is a particularly annoying/stupid/dangerous rule, but it's the rules.

Another thought will be temperature/packing out... what temps will you be looking at? My guess is that you'd need at least two trips out with the bear and if it's super hot, that might be a problem as well.

But, if I could figure out a way to keep the meat/hide cool (say cooling the hide in trashbag in creek), I'd take the shot. I think risk of attack is relatively low...

I didn't say I was hunting in CA...;)

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
Temps Should be relatively mild, 70's. I will be about 8 miles in, so two trips doesn't sound too fun...

_Nick_

WKR
I didn't say I was hunting in CA...;)

Haha, touche. But, in that case, if you've got an angry/mildly wounded bear attacking you, a 9mm wouldn't exactly be my choice for defense. If you've got anything bigger, I'd suggest bringing that.

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
You can if you want but I have not had any issues with Black Bear here in MN with archery gear. They are thinned skinned and your deer set up will work well. Almost everyone of them I have killed gave me the death moan so you know you are good to go. Bear vary in size and can be a handful to get out or a piece of cake. If you do get one I strongly suggest getting bear brats made up. They are awesome. I have never had a bad bear as far as meat goes. They are good table fare. I have taken a few with rifles and one with a bow and the one I shot with my bow went 20 yards and piled up. If you have the opportunity, go for it for sure! Again, you do not NEED to have the sidearm but if legal and it makes you more comfortable, by all means bring it.

Craig4791

WKR
It's never stopped me. I've killed a couple solo with a bow. I do carry spray but honestly think the odds are very very low.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I guess I will probably decide based on the current situation, but I'm leaning towards "Let it walk" based on the packing. That sure would be a tough thing to do with a tag in my pocket!

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
The one thing I would think about as far as that 9mm goes is this. Is that the gun you really want if you are being charged by a bear? Do you really want a 9mm in your hand if your life is on the line? Its not the penetration that is going to stop a charging bear.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
The one thing I would think about as far as that 9mm goes is this. Is that the gun you really want if you are being charged by a bear? Do you really want a 9mm in your hand if your life is on the line? Its not the penetration that is going to stop a charging bear.

I hear ya. It's what I have and it's better than a knife....lol

Bears die REALLY quick with a well placed arrow. If I had a tag and plenty of time to take care of it, get it packed out and back to the main reason I was there, I'd shoot it in a heartbeat. It'd have to be a good one though, no sense in going through all the extra work for young bear unless you just want to kill one.

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I have no way of keeping the meat at the trail head and continuing the hunt. If I shoot one, it will end my hunt. That's OK though, if it's a good one than yeah. I wouldn't want to keep hunting after 30+miles of hiking anyways.

littlebuf

Banned
I've never seen a bear not run away when it's shot. Black bears are such chikens I never under stand why guys worry so much about them . Meat spoilage on the othe hand is a concern if you don't have a plan or are inexperienced breaking one down and cooling it quickly

My friend was all but mauled by a black bear a week ago, she hid along the trail he was hiking and ran him over like a Mack Truck. They are anything but chickens and you'd be kidding yourself to think they don't deserve some respect. I will agree with what you said about after being shot, they are gone!

I am sure I mis-interpreted your post, just making it clear to those who haven't spent much time around them.

littlebuf

Banned
" all but mauled"? Hide on the trail just to run him over? Think maybe they were both going opposite ways on the same trail at the same time and ran In to each other? There is no doubt they have the tools and ability to end you if they see fit but the drooling maniacal monster learking around every tree in the wilderness that guys carry S&W 500 magnums for when there hunting just doesn't exist. I'm not saying they don't deserve respect I'm just saying there nothing to be afraid of. I don't "plan around" bears or areas with bears. Not black ones any way

I'm gonna be as honest as I can be. First if you are hunting in california( which I'm pretty sure you are) don't take a handgun. Simple as that. Second, you obviously have a fear of bears and cats and the possibility of them attacking you, or you would not have posed this question. I don't know how much training you have but the likely hood of you being able to deploy and use your firearm correctly is highly unlikely in a charge situation. Third I will guess than you have never seen a bear charge. Bears charge with their head down and it covers up a good deal of their chest, depending on the angle and proximity to you frontal vital shots become difficult at best. Also your 9mm will bounce of a bear skull so most likely a head shot won't be an option. My advice, take spray. You most likely won't have to use it, you will be legal and if an encounter does happen this will be more effective then your sidearm.

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
Although the charging bear/kitty talk is entertaining, your original question was if you should shoot a bear when presented the opportunity. Packing a good-sized black bear by yourself is a pain in the ass. With your gear, and the proper amount of meat/hide/head saved, you are looking at 150+ pounds. That is a damn heavy load, if you take it all at once for many miles. I shot a wilderness bear several years ago and packed it 6 miles out in one load and it was anything but fun. Not to mention the 5-hour drive hour. But, looking back on it, it may have been one of my most rewarding outdoor experiences. Good luck on your deer/maybe bear hunt!

OP
desertcj

desertcj

WKR
I weighed my pack last night. 50lbs starting out. If I come across a bear a mile or three from the truck, I'll try to put an arrow through it. 8 miles back, probably not! Also, this isn't my first rodeo. It's my third, lol. Just kidding, but seriously; I'm not afraid I just like to be prepared . I think you would be a fool to go out there in the wilderness without acknowledging the possibility that a cat CAN kill you. Bear's don't worry me as much, but they sure can be stubborn from what I've seen. I think it's a lot more likely that a bear would come in on my camp at night to check me out.