Speed Bead type sight

Gen273

WKR
Has anyone ever used a speed bead type sight for wing shooting? If so, what are your thoughts on the pros and cons?

I am simply pondering what that type of sight would be like in a wing shooting situation.

Fowl Play

WKR
I have played around with this a little. Not with a speed bead exactly but general red dots. A red dot sitting on a rail is too high and I cannot see the dot using my typical wing shooting cheek weld. But… my new turkey gun, Mossberg 940 turkey pro actually has a machined riser for an optic that allows it to sit very low. I can clearly see the dot from my wing shooting weld. I recently shot a round of sporting clays with it for fun and I was surprised. Quick pass shooting I honestly think I just reverted to instinctual wing shooting, but shots where I had time to “aim” it was very easy to with the dot. And crushed the clays every time. Have been debating on getting a longer barrel for it so it feels better when swinging and trying it out some more.

OP
Gen273

Gen273

WKR
Fowl Play,

Thank you for sharing your experiences; that was what I was looking for.

The speed bead interests me because it mounts between the stock and receiver, so it seems to set more in line with the rib.

OP
Gen273

Gen273

WKR
No one else has tried a dot-type sight for wing shooting?

I've used the SpeedBead as well as Aimpoint's offerings for aerial targets. They do work. Are they better than a straight bead? Not likely, but they can work for some. I don't mid them.