Spike camp gear?

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Hey so I am new this site and I need some tips and help on gear selection for my pack when hiking in and setting up a spike camp. I've always only day hunted before because I live so close. Anyways I have a good pack and know what I want for a sleeping system. My big concerns are a light weight cooking system and little things that someone new may not think about before leaving on their journey! Thanks for the help!

Trr15

WKR
Welcome...lots of great info on this site. I'm sure you'll find the answers to all of your questions. I'd suggest browsing/searching threads...regarding your cooking system, you should checkout jetboil and msr reactor. If you're looking for lighter weight, snowpeak makes some nice titanium cookware and lightweight stoves. Hopefully that will get you started.

OP
A

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the info. Yeah I've looked around the forums a little bit just haven't spent a lot of time dissecting through all the info yet.

Mtnboy

WKR
Can't go wrong with a Jetboil in my opinion, I'd go with the Titanium one if you don't plan on melting snow for water.

Just finished a little trial lunch at the fire station. Jetboil worked flawlessly and the MH Chili Mac was tolerable.
ezu7etes.jpg

Mtnboy

WKR
Why do you not want titanium for melting snow into water?

It breaks the fins off the bottom for some reason. Never had it happen myself but read about It happening plenty Of times. There is actually a warning on the package telling you not to.

OP
A

aboltlrhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Well that's good to know thanks! With The little bit of research I've been doing I think I might go with the jet boil!

2ski

WKR
Someone here told me that for longer trips not to use titanium because it doesn't conduct heat as well so you need more fuel to boil, thus need to carry more fuel negating the weight savings. I've never used titanium so I can't verify it takes longer.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use the Ti since they came out and never noticed slower times boiling, if anything it seems faster .

The jetboil ti are falling apart on people from reports I've read on here. I would avoid the ti all together. I have a jetboil flash and have had no troubles and not heard any issues with the other non ti models either. There are many good stove options out there, I like the jb because I can put the stove and fuel inside the cup for an easy package.

Mtnboy

WKR
Just a heads up, good deal on a JetBoil in the classifieds right now.