Spotting scope effective range

Studs1991

FNG
I have a general question about maximum effective range of spotting scopes. Since this is very open ended, I’d like to say I’m specifically looking at something like the Vortex Razor 27-60. Is this enough glass to see elk out to 2-3 miles? Just trying to get a baseline of how far I can push this.

Environmental conditions will affect your viewing distance more than the glass quality will.
You'll easily be able to see elk at 2-3 miles with that spotter, but seeing that there are elk vs. seeing the antler quality of the bulls is a different conversation.
I run a 30-60x wide angle lens on my Meopta S2 and it's on 30x 95% of the time. I've seen 2" cheaters on animals at 2+ miles on a good day of viewing, and struggled to see a good sized fork on a buck at 1200 yards in bad conditions. Cold clear days with a snowy background you can see FOREVER, hot days with a little dust in the air and a low contrast background will make you feel like you can't see anything.

For seeing elk at 2-3 miles alpha class binos on a good tripod are my choice.
For judging game at that distance a quality spotter is a great tool.
Quality 15x binos on a good mount will rival most spotters due to 2 eye viewing and resolution.
I recently bought a set of kowa twin spotters and the 2 eye viewing at 30x is something to behold.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a general question about maximum effective range of spotting scopes. Since this is very open ended, I’d like to say I’m specifically looking at something like the Vortex Razor 27-60. Is this enough glass to see elk out to 2-3 miles? Just trying to get a baseline of how far I can push this.
Yes, easily in good conditions.