Spotting scope (leipold, vortex, athlon, vanguard, pentax, ?)

dotman

WKR
How's the Athlon Cronus 20-60 compared to Kowa 55 regardless of the size and weight?
I'm concerning if 45 high power at the compact Kowa is enough to spot holes on paper target out to 200-300 yards at range. Thanks!

Doug might be able to answer that but I have a hard time believing it will be close. The Kowa will easily do that.

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
100% sure the 66 doesn’t have the same glass, even the 77 doesn’t have the pure fluorite crystal glass. According to S&S archery, the 55mm is just edged out by the ATX/STX 65mm Swaro.

Now I have not used the ATX/STX but I have a Kowa 55mm and after having it a short period was confident enough after having a Swaro ATS 80 HD with both 25-50 and 20-60 eyepieces that I would keep the Kowa and sell the Swaro.

The 66 Kowa will weigh more, is bulkier and sorry but the pure fluorite crystal glass in the 55mm will be better, it just is. But yes everyone’s eyes are different, I’ve heard many people say the Vortex Razor compares well to Swaro, not in my experience but people say it.

How's the Athlon Cronus 20-60 compared to Kowa 55 regardless of the size and weight?
I'm concerning if 45 high power at the compact Kowa is enough to spot holes on paper target out to 200-300 yards at range. Thanks!

Jimbob

WKR
Thanks dotman

So would you consider the 55 over the 66 in all situations? I am wondering if the better light gathering, the higher power and the larger field of view of the 66 be beneficial in some situations.

dotman

WKR
Thanks dotman

So would you consider the 55 over the 66 in all situations? I am wondering if the better light gathering, the higher power and the larger field of view of the 66 be beneficial in some situations.

For my style where I use binos 85% of the time yes, if hunting sheep or needing extra zoom I would then move up to an ATX 95 or Kowa 88. To me the Kowa 55 really makes many if not most 65’s obsolete. But that is for my style and based on my history of optics used.

dotman

WKR
Did you jump on the crazy good deal Optics Planet had on the straight Kowa 554 for $1295?

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
Did you jump on the crazy good deal Optics Planet had on the straight Kowa 554 for $1295?

Yes, I did. I pulled the trigger when they had only 2 in stock. The deal is over now. I may still be able to cancel my order as I'm starting wondering:

1. if the 45× power would be enough to spot holes on paper target out to 300 yards and steel target out to 1k yards at range.
2. Will a Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A/82A just get the job done as well with the ~$350/$450 price.

Sorry I just have too much questions.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
For my style where I use binos 85% of the time yes, if hunting sheep or needing extra zoom I would then move up to an ATX 95 or Kowa 88. To me the Kowa 55 really makes many if not most 65’s obsolete. But that is for my style and based on my history of optics used.

Agreed....I have had two Swaro 65mm (ATS and ATM) there just isn't enough difference to justify the extra bulk and weight of the Swaro...now you step up to the 80-95mm Alpha glass there is a difference in optical quality and even more so in weight and bulk. :)

Most the time the 55mm is gonna be the spotter I take unless weight and bulk isn't a factor.

dotman

WKR
Yes, I did. I pulled the trigger when they had only 2 in stock. The deal is over now. I may still be able to cancel my order as I'm starting wondering:

1. if the 45× power would be enough to spot holes on paper target out to 300 yards and steel target out to 1k yards at range.
2. Will a Vanguard Endeavor HD 65A/82A just get the job done as well with the ~$350/$450 price.

Sorry I just have too much questions.

I had a Vaguard 82A, nice budget spotter for sure but budget optics will never match quality optics, if you can afford it I would not cancel, if you decide it isn’t for you, you’ll easily be able to sell it for what you paid.

Also remember optical quality quickly degrades in budget optics the higher you zoom, just something to consider.

OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
I had a Vaguard 82A, nice budget spotter for sure but budget optics will never match quality optics, if you can afford it I would not cancel, if you decide it isn’t for you, you’ll easily be able to sell it for what you paid.

Also remember optical quality quickly degrades in budget optics the higher you zoom, just something to consider.

How usable is the 60× on the vanguard 82a? Is it really bad? I'm trying to understand if 45× is enough for 300yards paper target spotting.

Napperm4

WKR
How usable is the 60× on the vanguard 82a? Is it really bad? I'm trying to understand if 45× is enough for 300yards paper target spotting.

60 x is doable on the Vanguard but not easily. And atmospheric conditions will play a part at that zoom

Some food for thought.

300 yards at 45x magnification = 6.6 yards
300 yards at 60x magnification = 5 yards

The extra zoom is only going to give you the perception of 1.6 yards closer.

I am a swaro / Kowa fan myself but my dad hunts with the Vanguard 82 and it rarely gets cranked any higher than 45. It does drop off noticeably after that. If you can steady a big scope and can get past the wind, shakes and heat waves you can use the fine adjust to get a useable image but it is nothing compared to the Kowa glass.

Realistically I’d think you’ll be most comfortable using any spotter around the 30 setting. There’s a reason fixed eye pieces are at 20-30x.

Do you Need a Ferrari to get to your destination or will a Mercedes suffice?

The Kowa is by far the better optic but depending on your usage / eyesight / preferences and of course affordability - is it worth the extra $1000 to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR

60x is hard on a lot of scopes due to heat waves etc, unless the weather is perfect 45x usually is about perfect max and sometime too much. It’s been awhile since I had the 82A but it will not be super clear past 40x. Use that Kowa at 45x and see just how clear it is from edge to edge, you will not have that with any other scope for the price you paid.

Plus you’ll find that it’s not an issue to always pack the 29oz kowa vs a 60+oz 82a. I found myself leaving the 80mm Swaro I had at the truck the majority of time and just used binos on a tripod when I packed in. The advantage other then optics the kowa has is in weight and bulk. You can also pack a lighter weight tripod then you would for the 82A. Your entire setup will weigh less. When we spend this much we want to use it and trust me you’ll use a smaller lighter weight spotting scope way more then a large heavy and bulky one.

While the Swaro didn’t get packed much, the kowa will always be in my pack no matter if it is a day hunt from base camp or backpack hunt. Put a sub 2lb object in one hand and then 4lb object in the other. You’ll like saving 2lbs in pack weight and not taking up as much space.

Last edited:
OP
X

xugz0212

FNG
60x is hard on a lot of scopes due to heat waves etc, unless the weather is perfect 45x usually is about perfect max and sometime too much. It’s been awhile since I had the 82A but it will not be super clear past 40x. Use that Kowa at 45x and see just how clear it is from edge to edge, you will not have that with any other scope for the price you paid.

Plus you’ll find that it’s not an issue to always pack the 29oz kowa vs a 60+oz 82a. I found myself leaving the 80mm Swaro I had at the truck the majority of time and just used binos on a tripod when I packed in. The advantage other then optics the kowa has is in weight and bulk. You can also pack a lighter weight tripod then you would for the 82A. Your entire setup will weigh less. When we spend this much we want to use it and trust me you’ll use a smaller lighter weight spotting scope way more then a large heavy and bulky one.

Cool! Thanks for all the inputs! I think I'm convinced to keep the kowa now :) The last question leftover is that I don't see a compatible case/cover on sale for the kowa 55 and it is also not included in the package. Anyone with the Kowa 55 how do you cover your scope? I think i have to baby the scope for my hard-earned cash :)