Spotting your shots

this has been something i need to improve on. is pulling the rifle into your shoulder as you squeeze off with firing hand going to hurt or help with recoil management? (off pack with rear bag). thats what i wonder. i usually do tension free firing hand light trigger pressure but i don't know what is correct.

Shooting something where the shot is visible helps a lot too. Dirt, rocks, shoot and see targets are all a lot easier to spot on than watching a black hole appear on a black aim point.

Jimbee

WKR
I haven't figured out what to do with my thumb or how much I should pull the gun into my shoulder

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I’ve found getting more square behind the gun and using Phil’s technique here has helped a lot. But my guns are lighter and hard to stay in. My suppressed 7 PRC is a lot more controllable when I bring the gun towards the center of my body and “build a bridge” preloading the bipod. Light hand pressure/engagement of grip. I don’t know much about shooting but this has really helped me manage recoil.

taskswap

WKR
I'm sure there's a technical term for this but I don't know what it is. If I'm shooting off a table, backpack, bipod, or any other kind of front-rest I do that technique where you put your off-hand elbow down on the table/ground and rest the butt of the rifle in your hand, in the valley between your thumb and forefinger. With your off-hand palm against your chest, more or less. You don't grip the butt, you rest it in that valley. It makes sort of a sled or rail from there to the front-rest eliminating any chance you'll twist or lift the rifle as you shoot. The rifle comes straight back with the recoil then. Again I don't know the name but you see a lot of folks doing it on the 'Tube so somebody must have a term for it. It sure helps me.

Mythology of Markmanship with Morgun King is a good resource as well. Guiding the rifle to the centerline without creating too much load into the rifle is the basic premise and has worked well for me.

OP
M
Okay. My bad. That was all gone over in the Shoot2HuntU class.

I just didn't connect the dots, or wasn't paying attention when it was mentioned, as to the importance they all play into keeping the sight picture. ( Or it may have been when I was given a "time out" for saying 'flyer' a third time, I'm not sure.) I thought these things were mainly related to shot after shot consistency.

I do have the RokSlide Special less the 6X SWFA (currently using a 10X SWFA while backordered)

I recall shooting prone and mentioning that each time the rifle settled after recoil it was always
a few inches left of target. Was reminded of "neutral thumb" as I was laying my thumb over to the left side a little; not gripping just laying. I corrected and the next shot it dropped right in line and I was like "WTH??!!!".

I'm betting a lot more guys than myself can benefit from these tips. Thanks guys.

Jimbee

WKR
Okay. My bad. That was all gone over in the Shoot2HuntU class.

I just didn't connect the dots, or wasn't paying attention when it was mentioned, as to the importance they all play into keeping the sight picture. ( Or it may have been when I was given a "time out" for saying 'flyer' a third time, I'm not sure.) I thought these things were mainly related to shot after shot consistency.

I do have the RokSlide Special less the 6X SWFA (currently using a 10X SWFA while backordered)

I recall shooting prone and mentioning that each time the rifle settled after recoil it was always
a few inches left of target. Was reminded of "neutral thumb" as I was laying my thumb over to the left side a little; not gripping just laying. I corrected and the next shot it dropped right in line and I was like "WTH??!!!".

I'm betting a lot more guys than myself can benefit from these tips. Thanks guys.
What's neutral thumb? Thanks

In addition to good position/mechanics, ensure your scope is zoomed out enough to see a full field of view around the target.

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for this post. I’m in the same camp with my new RSS. I’m trying to learn the basics (or re-learn since what I was taught has been changed). Subscribed to this thread, and working my way thru THLR on YouTube

PNWGATOR

WKR
Like drinking from a firehose is t it?!?!?

Fundamentals.

You have the delivery system.

You’ve been taught the process…it’s a process!

I’m 100% confident in you! Let’s shoot and work through this.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found getting more square behind the gun and using Phil’s technique here has helped a lot. But my guns are lighter and hard to stay in. My suppressed 7 PRC is a lot more controllable when I bring the gun towards the center of my body and “build a bridge” preloading the bipod. Light hand pressure/engagement of grip. I don’t know much about shooting but this has really helped me manage recoil.

There is a lot of content out there. Some good, some not so good…. But anything that Phil puts out there is 100% solid. Learn all you can from his content….

Anyway, once you have body position figured out and how to properly square up to the rifle, loading the bipod (correctly) is key to getting the rifle to recoil straight back and allowing you to spot your shots. IMO

Another contributing factor is rifle stock design. Some stocks are naturally more forgiving, and some aren’t. Gunwerks invested a lot into the geometry of their stock design for this very reason. (Not saying they’re the only stock out there with those features). But as an oversimplification, if the bottom of the buttstock is runs parallel to the fore end, it’s much more prone to recoiling straight back when shooting prone w/ rear bag…. Traditional spotter style stocks, not so much.

OP
M
I'm not talking about bench shooting (though i'm sure all the basics apply to both).

Trekking poles and small backpack. Just a FYI in my particular case.