Spotting your shots

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
zoom out and work back down once you're seeing shots - I'm working on the same. Shooting a 10.5lb braked 7prc & 4-25x scope now vs. a 6.5cm suppressed 3-18x and had no issue seeing shots when positioning was right. I'm not having issue with the recoil so much as the report - the brake is just so loud i'm flinching/blinking more and on the higher zoom losing target...i've backed down to 15x and it's getting better. waiting on a suppressor which should help too

Marshfly

WKR
How do you train yourself not to blink when the shot goes off?
Shoot a lot with a smaller caliber low recoiling rifle. I have a heavy barrel 223.

I shot a bull this weekend at 200 yards with my 270 win. Stock is a Peak 44 Blacktooth. For me, it has an excellent design for recoil management and for allowing me to stay on target with the scope 100% during shots.

I could see the bulls skin/flesh ripple with the impact at 200-250 yards during the initial shot and followup.

Time in Flight to 200 yards is 0.209 seconds from Shooter app with my setup.

Marshfly

WKR
zoom out and work back down once you're seeing shots - I'm working on the same. Shooting a 10.5lb braked 7prc & 4-25x scope now vs. a 6.5cm suppressed 3-18x and had no issue seeing shots when positioning was right. I'm not having issue with the recoil so much as the report - the brake is just so loud i'm flinching/blinking more and on the higher zoom losing target...i've backed down to 15x and it's getting better. waiting on a suppressor which should help too

This is huge for a lot of people.
Braked rifles are simply bad all around for a lot of reasons. Everyone around you hates you and the intense noise and pressure will make it almost impossible not to flinch in some way.

OP
M
Suppressors should be mandated original factory supplied equipment by the ATF Safety Regulatory board
and a pricey tax stamp with accompanying exorbitant waiting period for muzzle brakes.

;)

amassi

WKR
Suppressors should be mandated original factory supplied equipment by the ATF Safety Regulatory board
and a pricey tax stamp with accompanying exorbitant waiting period for muzzle brakes.

;)

Do it for the children
e3b4d5f1cf01c10e8bc1f2dc089ba5b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
you're joking but i bought suppressor for my kid to protect his hearing b/c he's from my seed and i know he'll forget earpro when hunting. they are safety devices.. and yeah, brakes are loud but even worse in any shooting house - your eyeballs rattle.

amassi

WKR
you're joking but i bought suppressor for my kid to protect his hearing b/c he's from my seed and i know he'll forget earpro when hunting. they are safety devices.. and yeah, brakes are loud but even worse in any shooting house - your eyeballs rattle.

Not joking at all
Hearing safety is so important, I’m very nearly deaf thanks to shooting my entire life without ear pro then my time in the Marines took care of the rest. I’m so careful with my kids hearing
Agree brakes are trash

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2y2c

FNG
I had a 22” 280ai with an impressive brake on it. I was shooting out of the back of the truck with the tailgate down sighting in. That was dumb. It’s like I was trying to go deaf and create a flinch. I’m now going down the 223 suppressed route to get better.

I heard Eric Cortina say that he trained himself out of blinking during the shot from all his dry fire practice. The first time I saw someone shooting and not blink was Scott Satterlee. And when saw it, I realized that guy has put an incredible amount of rounds down range.

jcmupar

FNG
Has anyone tried indexing a muzzle break 10 - 20 degrees to compensate for right to left movement during recoil? I know a few PRS shooter who talk about it and Gunwerks recommends it for their breaks, but curious if it has been tried in field situations?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Has anyone tried indexing a muzzle break 10 - 20 degrees to compensate for right to left movement during recoil? I know a few PRS shooter who talk about it and Gunwerks recommends it for their breaks, but curious if it has been tried in field situations?
No, and I don't use a break. However there are tunable breaks with threaded holes. You can mess with the configuration until it recoils how you want.

One example https://precisionarmament.com/hypertap-muzzle-brake/

DJL2

Lil-Rokslider
How do you train yourself not to blink when the shot goes off?
A bit part of this is a scope with appropriate eye relief. The other part is appropriate recoil management. If the optic gets close enough to your eye under recoil, you are going to flinch. Poor eye relief and substantial recoil are a recipe for difficulty even if you’re not getting that signature cut/bruise.

OP
M
So I've been practicing a little. Picnic table, bag front, left hand rear rest.
10X fixed SWFA ( the true Rokslide Special is a tough acquisition what with
SWFA 6X wait times exceeding even suppressor wait times) and KRG Bravo stock.

I raised the adjustable butt plate to it's highest position. That has helped muzzle jump.
It seemed like at times I'd send one left. Amd the rifle would return to rest at 9:00.
The sight picture just slightly jumps out of the scope, which is a lot better than it
did before raising the butt plate. Trying to adjust what I know - neutral thumb,
right hand grip but end of fingers loose, straight as possible. Somehow I'm not consistent.
So I canted the butt plate to first position clockwise ( about 1:30) and for whatever reason
it feels better, more natural, and it appears I'm more consistent. Instead of coming back to rest
at 9:00 it comes back pretty much on target.

If canting the buttplate is helping, is it compensating ( aka: crutch) for a fault in my shooting
position? If a fault I expect I should try to trace it down and correct it. Open to suggestions.

Or is it just something that better suits my natural physique, shooting style, whatever and
go with it ?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If canting the buttplate is helping, is it compensating ( aka: crutch) for a fault in my shooting
position? If a fault I expect I should try to trace it down and correct it. Open to suggestions.
Or is it just something that better suits my natural physique, shooting style, whatever and
go with it ?

Yes and no. Angling the buttpad better aligns it with the shoulder pocket. However, make sure you are checking with live fire that it works from prone, sitting, kneeling, standing, off angled shots, etc. Often you get it set that works well in one position but compromises others.

As far as it being a crutch- again, yes and no. It’s a crutch because it makes it easier. But, it is better to have the stock fit better.
I would prefer to be able to correctly shoot and spot shots from any stock and rifle, then modify them to be better. If you modify from the beginning, you don’t learn.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I've been practicing a little. Picnic table, bag front, left hand rear rest.
10X fixed SWFA ( the true Rokslide Special is a tough acquisition what with
SWFA 6X wait times exceeding even suppressor wait times) and KRG Bravo stock.

I raised the adjustable butt plate to it's highest position. That has helped muzzle jump.
It seemed like at times I'd send one left. Amd the rifle would return to rest at 9:00.
The sight picture just slightly jumps out of the scope, which is a lot better than it
did before raising the butt plate. Trying to adjust what I know - neutral thumb,
right hand grip but end of fingers loose, straight as possible. Somehow I'm not consistent.
So I canted the butt plate to first position clockwise ( about 1:30) and for whatever reason
it feels better, more natural, and it appears I'm more consistent. Instead of coming back to rest
at 9:00 it comes back pretty much on target.

go with it ?
Checking natural point of aim?

If you can adjust your other rifles, definitely go with the change. Even if you can’t, you can still definitely learn a lot about other aspects to form and shooting, and improve your shooting. If you pay attention, you will be able to see differences in small things like you are now.

OP
M
I've only tried it from the bench. Too wet and snowy on the ground yet to try from actual field positions,
which was already on my short list. I've just been checking loads, trying to settle on one practice load (which I'm sure you can guess what it is :)

The other rifles are not adjustable, however they aren't going to get much, if any, use from here on out
from me.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I've only tried it from the bench. Too wet and snowy on the ground yet to try from actual field positions,
which was already on my short list. I've just been checking loads, trying to settle on one practice load (which I'm sure you can guess what it is :)

The other rifles are not adjustable, however they aren't going to get much, if any, use from here on out
from me.
A tarp is cheap, I was using one today as we are in break-up and everything is a slushy mess. Tarps are a little slick, unless you have canvas.