Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

X7Ix9Cx.jpg
Since we're showing off. Howa, not Tikka, but man this thing is pretty...

Lose the noise creation machine on the front of the barrel and that’s a good setup! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Its temporary until I figure out a can for it, regardless, prior to putting it on, the rifle had a habit of smacking my ear protection after every shot, no matter how hard I gripped it.

After adding that, that odd recoil pulse was gone, and seeing where the shot went became a lot easier.

satchamo

WKR
I ordered yesterday and it worked but just tried it and no luck. But I shoot Stockys a PM on here and bet they’d take care of you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed stockys today and told them the code wasn’t working for me as it was just last week and they honored the price and put the order in for me! They are a grade A++ outfit.

Got my stock for my LA Savage this past week while I was in S. TX chasing Nilgai. Fitted it up yesterday. Had to open the barrel nut area as I am using an X-Caliber barrel nut (hex-type), so it is a bit longer and fatter than the factory smooth nut that came with the gun when I bought it.

The only thing I haven't figured out yet is that if I torque the rear action screw past 30 in-lbs, it causes the sear to disengage when I close the bolt and locks the safety lever on the trigger up as well. Not sure exactly what is going on there, but I am assuming it is binding up something in the trigger assembly.
Full disclosure, the gun was a Model 116 (SS) in 30-06 when I got it. It is a bottom-bolt release. It came with the plastic bottom metal and trigger. I changed it out to the metal bottom metal and trigger. When I was looking, I was able to find the factory trigger guard (BBR) in SS, but not the BBR metal bottom metal. So, I got the top bolt release bottom metal and ground the front action screw area to match the thickness of the plastic bottom metal in that area. It worked fine on a Bell and Carlson sporter stock and a Boyds stock before that. I am fine having the screws torqued to 30 and 45 in-lbs (front and back, respectively), but I would prefer to have them both at 65 in-lbs.

HGL

FNG
Another brag on Stocky's post. I ordered a VG2 Rem 700 for my Bighorn with the 30% off code. It was "backordered" but I had it within about a week and a half. This is my third stock from Stocky's and they have all been great. Love to see them being so active on the board and acutally "listening" to customers, props for sure. Definitely gonna snag a tikka version or the Rokstok, kinda waiting and seeing. But the rem VG2 is top notch.

Torqued it to 45 in/lbs and it shot great. Just as accurate as it was in the AG stock it replaced. I got the plain carbon version, added a bit of sponge camo and opened up the ejection inlet to fit the Bighorn. Loving it so far, very good quality imo. Nothing but good things to say about Stocky's on my end.

1.jpgIMG_6900.JPGIMG_6899.JPG

How many of you guys have added material to the front of the grip to decrease trigger pull vs left it as is?

Have you had any issues leaving it as is? What do your hands measure?

Gila

WKR
I have several now. The barrel channels and the bottom metal inlets are a bit tight out of the box for the Tikka VG. The grip actually has more of a texture once the stock is painted or has the camo applied. The trigger pull isn’t too long for me, maybe because I live in the Roswell state. :alien:

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How many of you guys have added material to the front of the grip to decrease trigger pull vs left it as is?

Have you had any issues leaving it as is? What do your hands measure?
I got a medium glove size hand and can shoot it as is decent enough, I may not know what I'm missing (we'll see when the rokstok comes out) so who knows if I'll tinker with it in the future but its not unusable to me as is.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I got a medium glove size hand and can shoot it as is decent enough, I may not know what I'm missing (we'll see when the rokstok comes out) so who knows if I'll tinker with it in the future but its not unusable to me as is.
I agree. It’s further trigger reach than ideal but perfectly usable.

I wear a large work glove (big palms and short fingers) and it doesn’t feel like I’m overly “reaching” at all.

Harvey_NW

WKR
What material did you use to build up the grip?
I'm finishing up 2 right now that I used clear quick set epoxy for and if you're OCD about getting it as perfect as possible I highly suggest bondo or the aluminum style compound. The epoxy takes a lot of individual layers and flows too easily, is very difficult to shape, is extremely messy, and produces an extremely toxic smoke when hit with a flapper wheel..

I didn't take an initial measurement but I had a pretty substantial amount of buildup to reach 1.7". Seemed like a bit more reach than the 2.1" I've seen posted. Unfortunately factory made me feel like I was really reaching to get a good position.
20240206_181218.jpg

I use my VG hunter stock as it came for a tikka. I just choke up and use the action metal behind the bolt (tang ?) as an index point and don't have any trouble with size large hands. However I am not getting the desired 90deg trigger pull that is considered ideal.

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I use my VG hunter stock as it came for a tikka. I just choke up and use the action metal behind the bolt (tang ?) as an index point and don't have any trouble with size large hands. However I am not getting the desired 90deg trigger pull that is considered ideal.

Same here. After hunting it pretty hard this year and shooting it along with a few other VG and classic stocks the last couple of weeks, I really like it as an offhand/upright grip as is. The only time I wish it was a closer/more closed VG is when prone. Everything's a trade off.

Lowedown

FNG
I just used the ROKSLIDE30 coupon to order a ultra carbon vertical grip hunter for a LA 700 and it worked :) im sure excited to get ahold of it! Chatting with the gal on thier site she said the backorder should come through in 3 weeks or less.

I just used the ROKSLIDE30 coupon to order a ultra carbon vertical grip hunter for a LA 700 and it worked :) im sure excited to get ahold of it! Chatting with the gal on thier site she said the backorder should come through in 3 weeks or less.

I just tried it didnt work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro