Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
X7Ix9Cx.jpg
Since we're showing off. Howa, not Tikka, but man this thing is pretty...
Nice! Just bought the same stock - is that a Howa mini action - if so what bottom metal are you using?

Nice! Just bought the same stock - is that a Howa mini action - if so what bottom metal are you using?
It is. I grabbed the jefferson outdoors as the other comparable models were all out of stock. Im sure MDT makes a decent one too, but It cost reasonably more.

Can confirm very easy to open the barrel channel.
Pick up a sanding drum kit and it takes minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for digging up an old comment, but when you sanded the channel is it solid in the forend or is there a risk of breaking through the stock wall?

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Very solid in the forend. Had to open up the barrel channel for a heavy barrel 6 ARC Mini.

matthewmt

WKR
Curious if most of you are keeping the factory mags/ bottom metal, If not what bottom metal mag combo has been working well.?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Curious if most of you are keeping the factory mags/ bottom metal, If not what bottom metal mag combo has been working well.?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

High desert bottom metals (make sure to install shims if needed) are the bee’s knees. Confidently torque to 60 in-lbs as opposed to cracking factory plastic.

ElPollo

WKR
I just finished adding to the grip on my Tikka VG Hunter to reduce the trigger reach. I used something called Free Form Air epoxy putty. It’s pretty crazy stuff. I had a a bit left over that I let harden in a waxed paper bowl. I couldn’t break it with a ball peen hammer. And even after beating on it as hard as I could, it was still bonded to the bowl. It’s tough but it sands easily once cured. After I got it shaped I put a coat of 30 minute epoxy mixed with black acrylic paint over the top to seal. My intent was to use a nitrile glove to texture it as it dried, but that didn’t work out. Maybe it was the type of epoxy and maybe it was the addition of the paint, but all of the texture just flowed back into place as it cured. The solution was to add some spray Bedliner over that and then sponge paint and seal. The whole process added less than an ounce to the stock and it reduced the trigger reach to 1.5”. Happy with the results. It substantially improved the ergonomics without adding much in the way of weight. The final gun comes in right at 7# scoped with an SWFA 3-9 and a shortened factory barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    288.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    246.2 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_2786.jpeg
    IMG_2786.jpeg
    260.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_2790.jpeg
    IMG_2790.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    306.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_2793.jpeg
    IMG_2793.jpeg
    439.8 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_2794.jpeg
    IMG_2794.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 164

Harvey_NW

WKR
I just finished adding to the grip on my Tikka VG Hunter to reduce the trigger reach. I used something called Free Form Air epoxy putty. It’s pretty crazy stuff.
Now I'm mad, I was so close to ordering that stuff but I took the cheapo route and figured I would get by with regular epoxy like a dummy. Glad to know it is how they describe it. Nice job!

High desert bottom metals (make sure to install shims if needed) are the bee’s knees. Confidently torque to 60 in-lbs as opposed to cracking factory plastic.
I am using the mountain tactical BM however on mine the factor BM does fit a little better I think.

ElPollo

WKR
Now I'm mad, I was so close to ordering that stuff but I took the cheapo route and figured I would get by with regular epoxy like a dummy. Glad to know it is how they describe it. Nice job!
I was originally thinking that I’d be able to take the addition off if I didn’t like it and was afraid I’d break the epoxy. But holy hell this stuff is tough. I don’t see it coming off without files and rasps and a heck of a lot of elbow grease.

Another option that appears to add just the right grip. Plan to sponge over tomorrow.

(Edit: looks like form had a can of that too but maybe used for a light texture everywhere but the grip and forend then used the rubber for that).

Edit again: finished product. Appears grip is good all over but reinforced where needed. Came out a tad darker than I wanted but will do.

Weight still sub 23oz with lug.
This looks fantastic. Would you mind sharing the process, materials, a few more pics? Really wanting to do something like this.