Stone Glacier Chilkoot 15 degree vs 0 degree

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Hi all! Long time reader, fairly new to actually posting. I’ve never had the need to post since there is an abundance of information on here thanks to all the great people that post. However, I’d like to get in the mix of posting now too and need to get my post count up! Lol

I know this topic has been discussed some already, but what the heck, let’s do it again since I’m still torn on which bag to go with. I plan to use this bag as my one and only do it all bag as it’s not feasible for me to spend money on multiple bags. Spring bear all the way to late fall deer/elk hunts and even a random winter time lion hunt. I am a thinner guy so I do tend to sleep a little on the colder side and always wear my base layers to sleep. Being warm and comfortable is on my mind so that’s making me lean towards the 0 degree bag. On the flip side, the 15 degree bag shaves a fair amount of weight and I think maybe if I went that route, it might work better for spring and early fall hunts, could possibly add a puffy coat for the later hunts to get a few more degrees out of it. Anybody have experience with doing that? How much lower would it go roughly… maybe take it down to a 10 degree bag per say? I’m set on this bag, so not interested in other models, just need a push one direction. Who’s been here before and what direction did you go? Thanks all!!😁

I have a 15 and I think it’d work for 90% of what you’re looking at. It is WARM and I think if you got in a spot where you needed extra warmth then adding a jacket would accomplish it. I think the 0 would be way to hot in anything above freezing temps. I was torn when I bought mine and went with the 15 based on Kurt’s recommendation

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I just went through this same process of choosing between the two Chikoots.

I have the WM Puma rated @ -25F (too warm most of the time) and the WM Apache rated @ 15F. My problem was the Apache is narrower than the Puma in the shoulders to where it is always taunt and tight so this allows little loft of the down and just notably uncomfortable.

So, the design shape of the Chilkoot looked great to me and some roomier in the shoulders. I got the 0 instead of the 15. The weight isn't much different (7ozs.) and to say "I'd just sleep in my Puffy when it colder" for me doesn't make sense as it's the lack of comfort due to being tight in the shoulders that has me getting a better fit bag now. That's no different than saying I'll wear 2-3 pairs of socks when it cold when wearing my boots...

However, from what you have said is your expected time of use being mostly summer to late fall. You are likely going to be fine with the 15 degree bag and the 0 degree would simply be overkill.

Good Luck and I do believe you're looking at a fantastic bag either way.

OP
W

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I may have to look into the 15 degree bag a little more. I would say most of my camping would be with night temps in the 20-40 degree range so maybe the 0 degree bag is overkill then. I checked out stone glacier’s return policy too… maybe I order both and see how snug they are with my normal sleeping clothes vs sleeping with a puffy on. I never really thought about that aspect of it so thanks for that idea!👍🏻

I threw a hand warmer in my chilkoot 15 one night when I expected it to get pretty cold. Well, it didn't get nearly as cold as I expected and I woke up like I was trying to escape an oven.

I've used the bag in the open bed of my truck and unheated tents down to 10° or so with no complaints. I have not used it for true winter conditions though.

For temperatures down to about 30°, I leave the bag unzipped like a quilt with my feet in the foot bag.

My experience suggests that the ratings on those bags are pretty conservative.

Thanks for the replies. I may have to look into the 15 degree bag a little more. I would say most of my camping would be with night temps in the 20-40 degree range so maybe the 0 degree bag is overkill then. I checked out stone glacier’s return policy too… maybe I order both and see how snug they are with my normal sleeping clothes vs sleeping with a puffy on. I never really thought about that aspect of it so thanks for that idea!👍🏻

I think 15 will work well for you. Mine is very very warm and most of the time so warm that I am sweating.
The other thing is the yarn creates a degree of wind resistance that most other bags don’t have. I never feel the wind and in previous bags the slightest breeze would be felt and make sleeping cold even on nights that weren’t that cold.
SG also sizes the inner part of the bag smaller than the outside shell so even if you push on the inside you don’t compress the down lift like most other bags would.

Bearsears

WKR
For your use case Id get the 15. I have the 15 and Id happily take it down to zero or below with layering. The Chillkoot bags are really conservatively rated which is opposite of most manufactures. Read this article about the Chillkoots testing and ratings. The 15 is comfort rated at 21, limit 8, and extreme -29. The 0 bag is comfort rated at 14, limit 0, and extreme -39. Most bags use the extreme rating or somewhere between the limit and extreme to rate their bags.

If you are skinnier, you should have no issue wearing a puffy in temps below 10 (if you even need to). I'm a bigger broad shouldered guy and I have no issue layering a puffy and puffy pants with this bag. Ive only done it once when it got down to 0 and below and I probably didnt need to as I was sweaty.

I also tend to disagree that it isn't good practice to layer with your sleeping bag. If you buy a properly sized, higher temp rated bag, you can carry a smaller lighter bag and use it in a broader range of situations. I spent a ton of money on my clothing system why wouldn't I want to maximize its use with my sleeping bag when my sleeping bag really is just the last layer in that system. The mountaineering community has been doing stuff like this forever.

I also agree that the pertex shell of the Chillkoot provides great wind protection. Ive never been cold in my 15 but Ive been too warm lots of times. Good problems to have.

OP
W

Whiskey_Z

FNG
Well, I guess that about settles it then! Thanks all for the help and real world experience with these bags, I am going with the 15 degree bag and don't have any doubts that it will suit me just fine. I like the idea of a handwarmer or two in the bag to help out on real cold night too, might have to try that.

I have a 0 degree chilkoot. Amazing bag.
Way too warm. I sweat my balls off in that thing if it's not cold cold cold. I end up using it as a quilt most often. I should have gotten 15 degree but they were out of stock when I needed a bag. I got it because I camp september, October and November with the occasional ice fishing overnight and I wanted one bag to rule them all.

If you get a 15 and it's not warm enough, rock a puffy. If you get a 0 and it's too warm, use it like a quilt and let a leg or 2 out for management of warmth. You can't go wrong with either.

That bag made me fall in love with SG as a brand. The quality and the warmth of that bag makes me believe I could take it to hell and back through almost anything.