Sub $300 temporary binos

DHP

FNG
Been lurking here awhile and don’t really post, but I’ve been researching high end Binos to upgrade next year and just realized one of the eyepieces on my current Binos is broken, and I’ll have to look into the warranty, they are vanguards. Anyways, I’m gonna need something halfway decent for not much to get me through this season, and it will end up being a truck set or something for my kids to use later. I’m looking at the Leupold BX-2s and the Nikon M5 in 8x42. Leupolds are $230 and the Nikons are $286. Leupolds have better field of view but if the Nikons are better optically I can deal with the narrower FOV as it is close to the Vanguard 10x42s FOV that I have. Gonna be mostly still hunting in Timber archery hunting elk. From what I’ve read on reviews of each I think they’ll be better than what I’ve had but can’t find any comparisons between them directly. Any suggestions on different models are welcome but I’ve pretty much narrowed it down to these, thanks.

Can't speak to the Nikons, but I had the BX2's and the glass was dissapointing. Some BX1's I tried in the store and my Diamondbacks have better glass so I sold them. Personally I'd just save some $$ and buy Diamondbacks, they're very nice for the money and if something happens to them your fault or not Vortex will have a new pair to you in like 2 weeks.

I would consider buying used. You might get a $700 bino for $300.
But between the two you mention I would go with the Lueys. Its only for a season.

Macintosh

WKR
I have a pair of those leupolds as well as a pair of diamondback hd’s. Neither are very good glass, unlike post above I would put leupold glass a bit better (a little better edge to esge clarity), but vortex ergo’s are clearly better to me. Overall probably a tossup, but I figure for a backup/truck/kids pair that nqa warranty is perfect. Which also might open up used—a pair of vipers is noticeably better glass and might be had for similar money.

OP
D

DHP

FNG
Can't speak to the Nikons, but I had the BX2's and the glass was dissapointing. Some BX1's I tried in the store and my Diamondbacks have better glass so I sold them. Personally I'd just save some $$ and buy Diamondbacks, they're very nice for the money and if something happens to them your fault or not Vortex will have a new pair to you in like 2 weeks.
To clarify, are you referring to newer BX-2s and 1s, the Alpine and McKenzie? I used to have the wind river Acadias and gave them to my brother and they were pretty decent. I think I’ve seen them referenced as BX-2s as well.

Laramie

WKR

Jbehredt

WKR
Where are you located? I’ve got a pair of diamondback 10s rattling around in my center console if your’re on the front range…

I would look around and buy used. You might find something for a good deal.

That being said if I was buying low end for temporary then I'd pick up a pair of vortex or maybe maven. They both have lower end stuff that would work. The Leupold binos never really did it for me. I'm not sure why cause I have a gold ring spotter that I love and a mark IV scope on a rifle that I like as well.

Diamondback HD's are good truck glass and you really won't be handicapped using them for still hunting timber. I lend mine out to friends all the time with zero worries, that Vortex warranty has its upsides.

TaperPin

WKR
I was trying to buy someone a pair in that price rangee and feel your pain -;sort of think of that price range as no man’s land. You may find $150 models as clear as $300 ones, or have two that are equally clear and one causes more eye fatigue because the alignment isn’t as good. This doesn’t mean they are all not worth it - surely there are great values in there - it’s just not easy to identify them.

For whatever reason there are a ton of birders and others who seem to love Nikon and B&L, but these brands don’t seem to hold their value as much as Leupold or Vortex, even though in the lower price ranges they often have better optics. I see $300 Nikon optics often sell for $100 used in new condition - the crappiest 30 year old Leupold wind river models are twice that - close to what they were new and those are just not that good. Old gold rings maybe, old “green rings” no.

A year ago I randomly walked into a sporting goods store that over ordered and had a good sale and found bk-4 10x with the fancy case for under $400 including tax - about what they sell for used today, but still over the budget $100. I saw a kid with a lemonade stand selling cold cans of Coke for $2. . . about $1.5 markup and though if I brought 4 cases of beer to a popular trailhead the profit could make up the deficit in the budget, so bought the bx-4’s. Unfortunately I drank the beer, but still have the binoculars so it’s win win.

OP
D

DHP

FNG
Found some meopta optika hd’s for $360. Might go that route. Specs look good. They go for $450 most places. Anyone have experience with these?

OP
D

DHP

FNG
If the meoptas were significantly better which my guess is they would be, probably even better than the vanguards, which were clear but I just didn’t really like them, I could probably get through a year or 2 more on them.

OP
D

DHP

FNG
Where are you located? I’ve got a pair of diamondback 10s rattling around in my center console if your’re on the front range…
Appreciate the thought. I’m out in CA.

And thanks to everyone who replied. I knew I’d get suggestions to buy used or just get a vortex diamondback and even though I know I said suggestions were welcomed, I’m stubborn and refuse to get vortex and can’t really give a good reason for it. My elk hunt is 3 weeks away and so I didn’t want to have to shop used.

Appreciate the thought. I’m out in CA.

And thanks to everyone who replied. I knew I’d get suggestions to buy used or just get a vortex diamondback and even though I know I said suggestions were welcomed, I’m stubborn and refuse to get vortex and can’t really give a good reason for it. My elk hunt is 3 weeks away and so I didn’t want to have to shop used.
You got other suggestions because you narrowed your choices down to two models that people generally dislike for the price. Also, neither of your preferred two brands has a good warranty for your intended future use of truck or kids binos.

OP
D

DHP

FNG
You got other suggestions because you narrowed your choices down to two models that people generally dislike for the price. Also, neither of your preferred two brands has a good warranty for your intended future use of truck or kids binos.
I know, and I wasn’t trying to seem ungrateful for the help and I shoulda probably just titled the thread leupold vs Nikon because I couldn’t find any direct comparisons anywhere between the 2 but there are tons of threads suggesting vortex and used. I wasn’t expecting super great binoculars with the purchase and I thought Leupolds warranty was pretty decent.

I know, and I wasn’t trying to seem ungrateful for the help and I shoulda probably just titled the thread leupold vs Nikon because I couldn’t find any direct comparisons anywhere between the 2 but there are tons of threads suggesting vortex and used. I wasn’t expecting super great binoculars with the purchase and I thought Leupolds warranty was pretty decent.
Leupold warranties against defective components but not damage and Nikon is the same but not even lifetime. For cheap Bino's that you're likely to bang around, that would come into play.
You really just won't find many reviews for entry level binos, and the ones that do exist are either paid promotions or inexperienced users who just found out that magnification is cool so they think any glass is amazing. Don't lose too much sleep over the cheap bino decision, that'll come later when you want to upgrade.

Reactions: DHP
OP
D

DHP

FNG
$400 for German precision optics from Costco. Might be worth a shot. If you don’t like then return them.

Also, Maven has a similar warranty to vortex and even has a demo program where you can “rent” or field test binos without being a shady consumer that abuses return policies.
Interesting. It’s showing $360 for the 8x42 which is the same price as the optikas I found. I was almost to the point of pulling the trigger on the meoptas but now this has me needing to look into the GPOs.