Suppressors weight vs sound reduction help

bradb

WKR
You now have several of us from WI willing to let you shoot a bunch of different cans and decide!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Here is my $.02, I have 4 cans, they range from 8.5 oz to 21 oz on various length rifles. The 21oz can is too heavy on a 20” single shot rifle, same setup in K configuration at 7” long and 16 oz was ok. That extra 5 oz was a deal breaker. That can is going on a 14” sbr next year in full 10”/21 oz configuration.

I have a scythe and it’s tiny and light. Going on a 7prc. Have not tried it yet as it just cleared jail last week.

I ran a AB raptor 15 oz with 3” reflex on a 20” single shot and no reflex on a 14” pistol. Both cases worked well. So my take away is there is a limit to weight and length, but it varies based on the rifle length. A 20” single shot is probably 2-4” shorter than a bolt, making it equal to a 16-18” in overall length. A 15 oz can would be ok with a rifle of that size, but I expect too heavy/long on a 20+ bolt gun.

My current thinking is get a can that is hearing safe and as small/light as possible. Don’t worry about maximum db reduction as it doesn’t make a difference in use. You won’t run without earpro at the range as no can is quiet enough for a bunch of shots and the chance of getting blasted by another bench is high. If it’s hearing safe (under 140) for 1-2 shots then it’s going to be ok for hunting. Smaller and lighter will pay off when packing and shooting from less than ideal positions.

Depending on where you are in WI I would be willing to meet up and let you try some different cans.
If this is the goal. Hearing safe and short/light as possible.

I don’t think scythe can be beat based on my subjective opinion.

I shot it on a short (20”) 7 wsm a few weeks back. It’s probably barely hearing safe on that (short barrel really ups the dbs). On a 6.5C it’s very quiet for comparison sake.

Your 7RM will be closer to the WSM only a bit quieter at 24”.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I do own both and have for about 6 weeks. Shot them on a few different hosts. I have some videos in another thread (the scythe thread) on here but not sure the videos show the full story (what I hear real time vs the videos is a tad different). I shot all the cans I have (omega and DA LT as well) on 6.5C to make comparisons. I’ve since shot them both on a 7wsm with the shorter barrel.

After using them both for a while I think the STi is a tad quieter. It’s also 1oz more and about an inch longer (bigger volume). Not a huge surprise.

Marshfly

WKR
You will not be disappointed in the scythe. If you do choose to cut your barrel, the can weighs darn near the same as the same length of shorter barrel. Maybe an additional ounce and half. My main hunting rifle cut from 22 to 17.5" feels exactly the same as before once I screw the Scythe on.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Get the Scythe BO if need be. My two have been stellar so far. An Ultra7 or Domius would be tied if not runner ups. I would not hang 15oz and 8 inches off the Tikka.Compress_20240513_152450_0281.jpg

OP
WiscoHoundsman
Thanks for all the feedback. I think I will keep looking towards the lighter/shorter suppressors. I think this Thursday I’m going to make a trip to the lgs and see what all they have in stock and carry.

Not sure if I will try to buy one yet or not. May depend on what’s in stock. I feel like there are so many options I’m hitting analysis paralysis. As with many things such as packs, boots, ect there are lots of decent to great options out there.

WKR
As you can see by people's responses, they/we tend to recommend what we have. You will probably like whatever you get. I think you are on the right track.

Tbh I bought a DD lti when I couldn’t find a scythe in stock and while it’s awesome I wouldn’t mind cutting the weight 2-3 more ounces even. I’d go scythe

rhayden11

FNG
On a 24 inch barrel do you think weight or overall length would be more important to consider? I guess it would depend on hunting style/terrain?