Swarovski SLC vs Vortex Razor 10x 40s?

TXCO

WKR
Well, trying to decide on an upgrade given the SLC sale. What are everyones thoughts?

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Ive never been able to compare them side by side in field conditions. My dad has some vipers but Im not huge fans of them. They're both so different from what Im using now. I also like the vortex warranty so its a tough call for me.

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Do the demos come with the same warranty? Ive never bought demos

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Like you, I was interested in these two Bino's in the 10x40. After about half an hour of back and forth outside and inside the store looking at various light levels and distances I walked out with the SLC's I am not a glass aficionado by any means but the optical quality was quite apparent to even me.

I justified it by telling myself this. The sooner I buy the alpha glass, the more years I own them, making their per year/avg cost cheaper over the long run + The more you are using them, the more you are taking advantage of them, potentially making you more successful in future seasons.

I've had them a month and love em to bits and pieces.

Steel Rain

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone actually bought a pair of the demos? In the description it says they may or may not have all the items that a new pair would have. What does that mean? No lense caps? No decal?

OP
TXCO

TXCO

WKR
Yea Ive been looking at SandS for the binos

oldlogger

FNG
I bought a pair of The EL 10x50 Demo's yes they have the Warranty everything was in the box for 1499 amazing glass

Bob L.

FNG
I have a pair of the old slc 10x42 since 2005. I wouldn't trade them for anything. I vote swarovski.

AGPank

WKR
Ive never been able to compare them side by side in field conditions. My dad has some vipers but Im not huge fans of them. They're both so different from what Im using now. I also like the vortex warranty so its a tough call for me.

My binocular history last 6-7 years (estimated dates)

1. 1990-2008 Steiner bighorns 9x40. First binos I bought when I was 15. Had them until I was old enough to appreciate and afford better glass.
Looking through them now it's amazing I ever saw anything to shoot.
2. 2008 Burris Signature 8x56- bought on a closeout for $250 or so. Wanted to try newer/better binocs. Liked them, but kept reading about how good Vortex was.
3. 2009 Vortex viper 10x42 - bought them and immediately had buyer remorse. $500 and I wasn't noticing anything better than older pair.
4. 2010 Vortex viper HD - better but still not a wow.
5. 2011 Vortex Razor 10x42 - much better build quality and improved view, but wasn't sure it was 2x better
6. 2012 Swarovski SLC neu - (about time I joined Rokslide) very good but now I had the bug (sold them)
7. 2012 Meopta Meostar HD 10x42
8. Bought cabelas 8x32 (Meostar) for my wife
9. 2013 SLC HD 8x42 sold because felt guilty for spending so much $
10. Late 2013 bought another SLC HD after realizing mistake of selling them. Still have them
11. 2015 bought Leica Trinovid 10x42. Still have them
12. 2016 rebuilt SLC 7x30
13. 2016 Swarovski EL 8x32

Fortunately for used and demos and strong resale I haven't gone broke on the above.

Point of the story - those SLC HD are as good as you will find. You might find a couple of better bargains and save $200-400 (Meostar or Trinovid), but size, weight, ergonomics, image, and resale put the SLC as a tough to beat at that price from Natchez. $1700 retail may be a different story.

Vortex build quality didn't feel the same to me. After a few months of use an emblem sticker fell off. Paint chipped off the body. Warranty doesn't cover the cosmetic. Resale is average and is driven by the warranty.

Swarovski won't cover owner fault, but they do cover a lot and do offer excellent rebuild services for a reasonable price. In my 25 years or so of owning binoculars I haven't damaged binos on my fault.

AGPank

WKR
Has anyone actually bought a pair of the demos? In the description it says they may or may not have all the items that a new pair would have. What does that mean? No lense caps? No decal?

I bought the 8x32 ELs that said demo. They looked brand new. I would call and talk to them if you have questions.

dotman

WKR
Vortex isn't even comparable, yes they are good but in a different league imo. I have had all the top vortex glass and sold it all, now I have all swaro glass and wish I would of skipped vortex. I feel vortex is great if you don't think you'll even be able to swing swaro prices but with demos the swaro option isn't much more.

dotman

WKR

Yup, I only buy demos and not one optic has been anything but pretty much nib. All I'll buy is a demo.

The difference between the two... one is like looking through nice binoculars, the other is like being there. The Razors are absolutely not worth what they want for them. Even at 900 they are not worth it.

Beastmode

WKR
The difference between the two... one is like looking through nice binoculars, the other is like being there. The Razors are absolutely not worth what they want for them. Even at 900 they are not worth it.
With the older slc that was non HD my eyes could not tell a big difference between the two. Even at low light I didn't notice a big enough difference to justify spending almost 2x as much. The focus knob on the slc felt grainy to me not super smooth like a set of $1600 plus set of binos should feel in my mind. The new HD slc are nice but if I were to upgrade it would probably be the EL's.

Everyone's eyes are different and binos are not a one size fits all. Just because it's the most expensive doesn't mean it's the best glass for you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR

This sums it up the best. I use EL's and would never consider anything but them or the SLC.

JP100

WKR
I have the Razors and Id recommend the Swaros.
Swarvoski is the benchmark of what all else falls short.

My brother has some Liecas he got as demo models and they are great, better than Razors but Swaro is a step ahead.

Im still waiting on that rich client to tip me some Swaros........one day I hope haha