Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 BT Tracking

choovhntr

WKR
Trying to find some real world testing on how well the z5 BT tracks when dialing for yardage. Right now I have a NF NXS on my Cooper M92. While the scope is great, tracks well, and built like a tank, it weighs 2 lbs. By switching to the Z5 I would shave a little over a lb off my setup if I go with the 44mm model. I know the setup right now is a little weird (lightweight mountain rifle with a long range heavy scope), but it still only comes in at 8.0 lbs and the balance is pretty good. The extra lb is also nice for long range stability and helps lower the muzzle flip. Also a little worried about max dialing distance out of the Z5. Anyone else have one on a 300 win mag? At what distance are you maxed out at or how many clicks are you getting from a 200 yrd zero? While a sub 7lb 300 WM would be nice to carry around the hills, do you think it would be a too light to shoot effectively at longer ranges? I've never shot a rifle that light at any considerable distance.

mdfanatic1980

Lil-Rokslider
I have this scope and like it a lot. I've had it 2 years now and haven't had any tracking problems. For it to be this lightweight, this clear, it's hard to beat unless you need more adjustment out of it. I think it has 48 clicks before it's maxed out. I have a 200 yard zero on my 7mm and can dial to 800 or so. 600 is really my max, so this isn't a concern for me. I was a bit nervous back in 2015 on a horseback hunt with the gun being tossed around and in a rifle scabbard on a horseback hunt, but it did fine and I made a nice 500 yard shot that year on a mule deer.

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Thank you for the reply. Good to know it's holding up for you. Is the turret system made of plastic and if so does it feel like it's fragile or prone to breakage?

Axlrod

WKR
I Have used the Z5 for 3 years on a 28 Nosler. I also have Leupold, Zeiss, and trijicon scopes that I have hunted with. My teenage son has used my gun as well and we have taken game out to 720 yds. I have just purchased another swaro scope for my son as i feel after 3 years, and a dozen animals taken it is the best glass and simplest turret system I've used. Short of smashing the turret of a rock it will hold up to all hunting conditions. Don't know that you can get to 800 yds with your set up but you can go on swarovskis web site and plug in your data and it will tell you.
Another option is to send them a z5 with the turret and they will put in a BRX or BRH reticle for more hold over options.

OP
choovhntr

choovhntr

WKR
Thanks axlrod. That is definitely an alternative. I really like having the windage marks like in the 4w. I wonder if they would put the 4wx reticle from the x5 in the z5. Would be perfect. I guess I'll have to give them a call and find out.

Trying to find some real world testing on how well the z5 BT tracks when dialing for yardage. Right now I have a NF NXS on my Cooper M92. While the scope is great, tracks well, and built like a tank, it weighs 2 lbs. By switching to the Z5 I would shave a little over a lb off my setup if I go with the 44mm model. I know the setup right now is a little weird (lightweight mountain rifle with a long range heavy scope), but it still only comes in at 8.0 lbs and the balance is pretty good. The extra lb is also nice for long range stability and helps lower the muzzle flip. Also a little worried about max dialing distance out of the Z5. Anyone else have one on a 300 win mag? At what distance are you maxed out at or how many clicks are you getting from a 200 yrd zero? While a sub 7lb 300 WM would be nice to carry around the hills, do you think it would be a too light to shoot effectively at longer ranges? I've never shot a rifle that light at any considerable distance.

Did you go the Z5? Ive got a Model 92 coming in a couple of weeks and have a Z5 3.5-18 waiting for it. I'm having trouble deciding on which bases and rings to get. What did you go with? How's the 300wm working for you?

Jardo

WKR
I have a z5 with the sportsman bt on my cooper 92 backcountry in 280ai. For me, it is the best rifle/scope combo. I shoot out to 750 yds and it tracks perfect. I have dialed up all ranges between and it always returns to zero. It shoots a 3 inch 5 shot group at 550 yds all day long.

It’s a light gun so it is not the best for long range accuracy but I do just fine with a little practice. It is by far my favorite deer, elk and sheep medicine. You will need to practice breathing and trigger control to shoot it accurately at distance.

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a backcountry and put a heavy scope on it. The whole point of a backcountry is to have the lightest package that shoots well. Kinda like buying a Ferrari to take off-roading.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Z5 with the BT and the BRH reticle on my .338, it is the best of both worlds. I originally purchased the scope without the BT, but sent it back to have it added. I highly recommend it. I will be adding the same scope setup to my smaller caliber rifles in the future.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have a z5 with the sportsman bt on my cooper 92 backcountry in 280ai. For me, it is the best rifle/scope combo. I shoot out to 750 yds and it tracks perfect. I have dialed up all ranges between and it always returns to zero. It shoots a 3 inch 5 shot group at 550 yds all day long.

I don’t understand why anyone would buy a backcountry and put a heavy scope on it. The whole point of a backcountry is to have the lightest package that shoots well. Kinda like buying a Ferrari to take off-roading.

Half MOA at 550 all day long.... Pretty good since most benchrest guns can’t do that. How many rounds do you have on the Z5?

To your second point- having a reliable scope is the reason. I’ve shot or seen shot 5-6 Swarovski Z5 and Z6’s this year. Everyone has had to go back for service. Having a really light rifle allows one to put a 20oz reliable scope on it and still maintain a light overall package. I would love a 13-15oz scope that’s reliable and dials consistently, unfortunately there aren’t any.

ChrisAU

WKR

I value optic performance over weight, but I do care about weight.

What weighs less than a 8 lb rifle with a 2 lb scope on it?

A 5 3/4 lb lb rifle with a 2 lb scope!

It’s a light gun so it is not the best for long range accuracy but I do just fine with a little practice. It is by far my favorite deer, elk and sheep medicine. You will need to practice breathing and trigger control to shoot it accurately at distance.

Which rings did you go with on your set-up?

I have approx 500 rnds through my 300 WSM topped with a Z5 and have no issues with tracking. I have checked tracking out to 500 and back to 100 on several occasions. I have one on top of my 6.5 CM as well. I can't remember the number of clicks (thinking it's 52) but both rifles max out right around 600 yds with a 100 yd zero. Both are light weight rigs so I get .5 MOA 2 shot groups on .300 WSM and .5 MOA 3 shots on the 6.5. Running Talley rings on both

30mm Screw Lock Detachable Ring--Stainless - Talley Manufacturing

Jardo

WKR
This is an old thread, but I have an update. In my previous post in this thread, I said I had no tracking issues with my z5. I have a Swarovski z5 on my 280AI Cooper 92 Backcountry. I was initially very happy with this combination. It’s an Ultralight Scope and Rifle that could whack deer size game up to 800 yards.

The Swarovski Z5 won’t return to zero. The damn thing has a different poi every time I take it out. Ive sent it back to Swarovski and the went over it and said it checked out ok. I took it deer hunting this morning and I’m 8 inches high at 100. I still killed two deer today, but the hits were high and in the spine.

I ordered a zeiss V6 today. It will add 7 ounces to the total weight, but I have heard good things about this scope and I have had one one on my long range 300 win mag for a few months and have been happy so far.

I think the z5 is too good to be true at 16 oz. This has not been reliable for me. I know there’s guys out there that have had good results with this scope, but I am done with it.

I bought it from Outdoorsmans and I’m going to give them a call and see if I can return it. I’ve had it for almost 9 months, so I think I’m stuck with this POS.

Anyone else having issues with the Z5.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I had very similar results with my Z5 3x18x44. Loved it so much I bought another. First one on custom pre64 model 70 in 300 win mag. Half inch all day long. Loved the BT. Two years owned and all of sudden it would not shoot and tracked all over the place. Called Swaroski and they tried to blame everything else from rings to bases to gun shot out. Pulled scope replaced with same model off another gun. Problem solved. Called Swaroski told them and they reluctantly issued a return authorization. One month later I'm informed repair costs almost $400.00. I paid since I would l d have nothing at this point if I didn't. Very dissatisfied with customer service.

Jardo

WKR
I’ve heard some people saying on other forums that lapping the rings is important for good functioning in the erector. I have Talley lightweight rings and Talley does not recommend lapping. Anyone have any feedback or similar issues? Is this a lost cause as formidulous said 6 months ago.

Scottyboy

WKR
My .02, if you want swaro and want to dial..save up for the X5. Doug at Cameraland has/had a demo X5 at a price that would make it a no brainer.