Table surface for processing

TheCougar

WKR
I’m looking for ideas for a breakdown processing table. Our old kitchen had a big 5x4 island where we could do processing, but not our new house. I was thinking using a sheet of HDPE, but it’s $300+ for a 1/2 sheet and I can’t find local place to pick it up, so shipping is expensive. I was thinking about using one of these portable work stands as a base. I can justify that cost a bit more because I can use it for my workshop.

I could also use some saw horses instead. The table top is what I’m really trying to figure out. Something that easily cleans, doesn’t dull knives, and can stand the mess of processing. Any ideas?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Our local stone supplier regularly has broken countertops they will sell chunks of for way cheap. Quartz works great. Granite is too porous unless you very regularly seal and clean.

All you need it a Diamond blade on your skill saw and a hose to cut it to size. You can also polish cut edges if you want but not necessary.

Heavy duty saw horses with sand bags to keep them from moving and a nice piece of quartz works fantastic.

I just use saw horses and a piece of countertop. I use cutting boards so I don’t cut up the countertop. Saw horses are in the garage all the time anyway and the countertop slips between a freezer and the wall when I’m not using it. It’s not fancy but it’s cheap and easy.

lak2004

WKR
Lifetime folding table is what I use, just cut right on it and clean it good. If I need to I weigh it down with sand bags on the legs to keep it sturdy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Lifetime folding table is what I use, just cut right on it and clean it good. If I need to I weigh it down with sand bags on the legs to keep it sturdy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Does it have extendable legs? I’m pretty tall and hate being bent over while butchering so I make my setup pretty tall- that’s got it’s own problems though, when the kids help they have to stand on stools to be able to reach.

Azone

WKR
My grandpa took some laminate table tops that are roughly 36x60 and put removable legs on them many years ago. The leg portion consists of a 3/4 inch pipe half coupler welded to some flat bar that is screwed into the bottom of the table on all corners. The legs are 3/4 inch pipe with one threaded end to attach to the table. Makes storage and transportation very easy.

packer58

WKR
Does it have extendable legs? I’m pretty tall and hate being bent over while butchering so I make my setup pretty tall- that’s got it’s own problems though, when the kids help they have to stand on stools to be able to reach.
Some do have adjustable legs......Amazon sells them

rclouse79

WKR
I recommend waiting until after you kill something. The year I asked for a vacuum sealer for my birthday I jinxed my self and ended up with a bunch of tag soup.

When we remodeled the kids bathroom I kept the old double vanity pulled the sink and fixtures and screwed some 3/4" poly to the top, drawers work well for storing processing stuff...got them delivered from here...https://www.eplastics.com/sheets/hdpe/cutting-board

LCsmith

Lil-Rokslider
Cheap plastic folding table with 1.5" PVC leg extensions to raise the height up. I don't cut on the table though - use cutting boards.

Reactions: Ope

muddydogs

WKR
Folding table with plastic sheet over the top and cutting boards. I set in a chair when cutting up meat so I don't have to bend over as extending the table legs for my height would make the table way to tall for anyone else to use.

We use a piece of counter top that someone was dumping and put it up on sawhorses. 55-gal drums work too, but my sawhorses sit a bit higher for me. Countertop is “L” shaped and 12 feet long and 4 feet wide at the widest end. Then I have custom poly cutting boards for it. Everything tucks against the wall in the garage and takes up almost no space.

Take into account what the largest animal you need it for is too. A moose quarter fits just right on the widest part of my table and I can break it down and throw my helpers pieces down the table. We also have one of the tall white 4.5 x 2.5 foot folding tables we stack cuts to be wrapped on. Just having that table would work for some, but never work for us. My recommendation would change if someone was in search of something permanent.7DFD7F1F-5CF7-46BD-871B-5F68C675D041.jpeg