The 1 Thing You Learned- Suppressors

Zappaman

WKR
You do realize that is costs more than just material and Bubba with his antique cracker box stick welder in his garage out of pipe and flat metal to build a suppressor I presume? Designers/engineers/people cost money, the building costs money, the equipment to mass produce the suppressors cost a LOT of money, the raw materials (some of them semi or even exotic metals) cost money, the liability insurance cost money….. I could go on but I hope you see the point.

I do agree they are pricey for what they are and do but it’s not as simple as you try to make it sound.

And I love every single one I have and will continue to buy more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I saw the "point" when I wrote what I did... I KNOW why they cost so much. I also know what manufacturing "scale" means... and that was my point (and still is).

gbflyer

WKR
My 16.5” barreled 6.5 Manbun gets 2600 with a 140gr bullet. Nice suppressor rig. I need a cover. Sucker makes a lot of mirage after the 5th shot. No factor hunting but it sux on the range.

Thing I’ve learned about suppressors is that some powered by SilencerShop dealers don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground and getting a hold of SilencerShop for help is a giant pain in the ass.
SilencerShop points the finger at the dealer and says it should be no big deal to certify and submit. Call the dealer and they’re saying it’s an error on SilencerShop and then I should’ve just bought a suppressor through them because silencer shop’s software does not work. Neither party really wants to help too much or spend too much time trying to problem solve.
Yesterday I finally decided to spend another 45 minutes on hold with SilencerShop and just have them paper file the suppressor I bought in January.

Yesterday I finally decided to spend another 45 minutes on hold with SilencerShop and just have them paper file the suppressor I bought in January.
That sucks. You need to find a new dealer. The SS software is essentially database that will autopopulate your Form 4 and a dedicated sharing application so that you and your dealer can both log into the ATF eforms site at the same time (that is what the "certifying" is). If your dealer cannot figure out how to use the technology, that is on them.

That being said, the eForms site is still giant POS. Typical government. Spend years and millions to put out something that a 2nd year college student could produce. You would think that they would have learned after all the issues that they had during the first round with eforms.

Bubba85

FNG
I went through silencer central for my first one (Dec 2021) just certified a week ago. Now it’s a waiting game.

ElPollo

WKR
Thing I’ve learned about suppressors is that some powered by SilencerShop dealers don’t know their ass from a hole in the ground and getting a hold of SilencerShop for help is a giant pain in the ass.
SilencerShop points the finger at the dealer and says it should be no big deal to certify and submit. Call the dealer and they’re saying it’s an error on SilencerShop and then I should’ve just bought a suppressor through them because silencer shop’s software does not work. Neither party really wants to help too much or spend too much time trying to problem solve.
I started the process for my first can this week and thus far my experience has not been the same as yours. Not saying yours wasn’t bad. The person at the shop I used knew the process well and walked me through it, the kiosk was simple and painless to use. All that’s left to do is to notarize my trust paperwork which I’m doing tomorrow. Admittedly my experience could go to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly, but thus far I’d say that the Silencer Shop kiosks simplified the process and I couldn’t imagine what it would have been like navigating it on my own, creating my own trust, and dealing with people at a gun shop who really didn’t have a clue.

As for other things I’ve learned:
1) Getting several rifles that weren’t designed to use a suppressor set up to use a single can is a significant expense of both time and money, and
2) Not all cans are easily adaptable to multiple mounting systems.

So if you are trying to set up a single can for multiple guns, expect some minor headaches.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
That sucks. You need to find a new dealer. The SS software is essentially database that will autopopulate your Form 4 and a dedicated sharing application so that you and your dealer can both log into the ATF eforms site at the same time (that is what the "certifying" is). If your dealer cannot figure out how to use the technology, that is on them.

That being said, the eForms site is still giant POS. Typical government. Spend years and millions to put out something that a 2nd year college student could produce. You would think that they would have learned after all the issues that they had during the first round with eforms.
I wouldn't argue that the dealer needs to learn to use the technology but at the same time the technology frankly isn't up to speed yet. SS has told our customer their docs are ready to certify. Our dealer site doesn't show their suppressor. So it appears we, the dealer, don't know what the **** we're doing, when it's SS that is the weak link. And we're all on the phone for 2 hours waiting for a non-answer....

Honestly though, SS brought a process online without being able to test it and completely under-estimating the demand. It's not like the ATF called up SS and said, "here's our beta-site, go ahead and test your software against it." Eventually it may work amazingly. But you won't see me being an early-adopter. And with everyone hitting up e-forms, paper might end up being quicker for the next year....

Regardless, go buy a suppressor and start the paperwork one way or another. You just forget about it for a while and wait for santa to bring you a stamp.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I started the process for my first can this week and thus far my experience has not been the same as yours. Not saying yours wasn’t bad. The person at the shop I used knew the process well and walked me through it, the kiosk was simple and painless to use. All that’s left to do is to notarize my trust paperwork which I’m doing tomorrow. Admittedly my experience could go to hell in a handbasket pretty quickly, but thus far I’d say that the Silencer Shop kiosks simplified the process and I couldn’t imagine what it would have been like navigating it on my own, creating my own trust, and dealing with people at a gun shop who really didn’t have a clue.

As for other things I’ve learned:
1) Getting several rifles that weren’t designed to use a suppressor set up to use a single can is a significant expense of both time and money, and
2) Not all cans are easily adaptable to multiple mounting systems.

So if you are trying to set up a single can for multiple guns, expect some minor headaches.
I have found the small headache part to be true too. Eventually I'll get more cans, but for now the inconvenience of using one is fine

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of newbie suppressor questions, with regards to hunting applications.

Cleaning:

Ability to take apart and clean, how big of a deal is this? I like to be able to thoroughly clean my equipment to keep buildup and corrosion at bay for even a range queen, but for a hunting it seems like it would be a requirement. I hunt in Washington’s coastal rainforest where it is a constant downpour of rain, mud, salty air, etc. You would be blown away by where I find mud, moisture, and pine needles after a week hunting elk in November.

Durability:

Hunting the thick jungle in the wet means slipping, falling, banging stuff into things, etc. How easy to dent/damage are these suppressors? Will a simple fall crossing a rocky river destroy them?

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of newbie suppressor questions, with regards to hunting applications.

Cleaning:

Ability to take apart and clean, how big of a deal is this? I like to be able to thoroughly clean my equipment to keep buildup and corrosion at bay for even a range queen, but for a hunting it seems like it would be a requirement. I hunt in Washington’s coastal rainforest where it is a constant downpour of rain, mud, salty air, etc. You would be blown away by where I find mud, moisture, and pine needles after a week hunting elk in November.

Durability:

Hunting the thick jungle in the wet means slipping, falling, banging stuff into things, etc. How easy to dent/damage are these suppressors? Will a simple fall crossing a rocky river destroy them?
You can clean them just by soaking them. If you have an all titanium can, you can use CLR. On others you can use a variety of carbon solvents. It may take a few days of soaking, but it’s pretty pain free.

As far as durability goes- you will have to do a lot to hurt a solid welded can designed to contain thousands of psi of superheated gas. I’ve bounced my TB cans off of everything imaginable. I’ve scraped off cerakote, but the titanium underneath is just fine.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can clean them just by soaking them. If you have an all titanium can, you can use CLR. On others you can use a variety of carbon solvents. It may take a few days of soaking, but it’s pretty pain free.

As far as durability goes- you will have to do a lot to hurt a solid welded can designed to contain thousands of psi of superheated gas. I’ve bounced my TB cans off of everything imaginable. I’ve scraped off cerakote, but the titanium underneath is just fine.
Thanks for sharing your experiences! Have you ever done much shooting of rimfire through a centerfire can? I'm curious about the grime buildup?

I have a 6.5cm with a 24 inch fluted barrel. I'd like to cut it down but I'm not sure if there will be enough material Thread. Waiting on dead air nomad and a wolfman. 1 thing I learned is waiting is the hardest part. I justified it as an investment on something that I may not be able to get a year from now in Washington state.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I should have added earlier- I’ve hunted exclusively suppressed for several seasons. One key is the same as using your rifle in the backcountry unsuppressed- put a piece of electrical tape over the exit hole (muzzle) of your can. It will keep all the rain and dirt from getting inside the can and down the bore.

This is a very common misconception when talking about NFA items (suppressors, machine guns, AOWs, etc). Just having an approved item doesn't give any law enforcement group a right to violate your 4th Amendment rights. i.e. they cannot just come into your house and search around whenever they feel like it.
As far as balance goes, yes, if you put a can on the end of a 26" barrel, it is going to feel a bit off balance. But, if you chop that barrel to 22", it balances a lot more.
It appears they are doing exactly this. They make their own rules and hide them in desk drawer until they want to arrest some, search their house and confiscate their weapons. They and they alone (ATF) determine who is and is not a threat. Look up

The ATF is out of control and doing stuff that eventually forced 20 Senators to join in writing a letter in regards to their handling of Fuel solvent type supressors and FRT and Rare breed type triggers.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I learned that I was foolish to think "I'll just get one, that's all I need". Now I just started the form 4 for #6 and my wife is probably going to get me with a shiv in my sleep.
You're right. I thought I would get one and swap it around on all my rifles. Then we end up getting lazy and buying more. Gets expensive, but ease of use becomes important

It appears they are doing exactly this. They make their own rules and hide them in desk drawer until they want to arrest some, search their house and confiscate their weapons. They and they alone (ATF) determine who is and is not a threat. Look up

The ATF is out of control and doing stuff that eventually forced 20 Senators to join in writing a letter in regards to their handling of Fuel solvent type supressors and FRT and Rare breed type triggers.

While I agree that the ATF is currently out of control, the video you linked is comparing apples to oranges. In the case of the douche in the video (anyone who wears their hat like that is a douche, sorry), he was selling metal cards with a "lighting link" image printed on them. Again, while I don't agree with their position on this, solvent traps or FRT triggers, in all of those cases, their premise is that people are trying to "skirt the law", or their definition of the law.
In the case of people filling out Form4s and obtaining suppressors legally, why would the ATF assume you aren't following the law when they literally have proof that you are following the law.
Therefore, my statement stands, just having a Form4 doesn't mean that the ATF can violate your 4th Amendment rights.