The 300 Project

Went out and shot the rifle. I would say the Christensen Arms(Slayer) brake is VERY effective. 8.5 pound 300 RUM with full house 230 grain Berger loads and I can see impacts on target at 400 yards.
https://vimeo.com/161144082

Last edited:
Shots 4-5-6
5a3d2eb833ee77e4e30f15aa6ee9ee66.jpg

Loaded up some virgin Bertram brass
230 Berger Targets
CCI 250
5 thousand off
MagnetoSpeed verified, 5 shot average.

VV570 2980
RL33 3050
H1000 2945
Retumbo 3005

Last edited:
How come its not in the center of the bullseye??

I would say that it has some potential---great build.

Randy

Holy smokes, that brake makes it look like you are shooting a 22-250!

Not ever having a rifle with a break, how does that one compare to the brake I typically see on all the other Christensen models with all the small holes around the entire unit? Would this new one just screw on in place of the other? Is a brake like you have on this 300 more effective as you go up in caliber?

How hard was it to get your hands on 300 RUM brass? H4350 to fast?

Bertram brass is hard to find. But you can get Norma brass from extreme outer limits store, right now.

Never thought to shoot 4350 but looking that the burn charts it's pretty fast for big case/bullets

Last edited:
Holy smokes, that brake makes it look like you are shooting a 22-250!

Not ever having a rifle with a break, how does that one compare to the brake I typically see on all the other Christensen models with all the small holes around the entire unit? Would this new one just screw on in place of the other? Is a brake like you have on this 300 more effective as you go up in caliber?

Christensen's radial brake is very effective but it's a nightmare to shoot in the prone.

The CA Slayer brake needs to be timed. You can do it yourself with a peel washer

How hard was it to get your hands on 300 RUM brass? H4350 to fast?

My buddy has a 338 edge (27" barrel), we tried H1000 and retumbo. Was shooting ok, I had some H4350 on the shelf form a 7mag load I was running for kicks tried loading that up with some 300's for his edge and the thing shot great. Been using it ever since. Really like how temp stable it is.

I have a bunch of H4350, do you know what kind of velocity he was getting?

Which powder is showing most promise?

I haven't had much time with the rifle yet. I shot the twenty rounds above, then sent it off for Cerakote. But out of that small sample size, the H1000 looked the best.

When I get her back I will post up the load development. I'm not a ladder test kind of guy. I just load up close to max and play with seating depth till I find a winner.

Is that brake the same overall diameter as the barrel? It is hard to tell from the pictures, looks like it might flare out...

Is that brake the same overall diameter as the barrel? It is hard to tell from the pictures, looks like it might flare out...

It looks like a slab style brake to me from the pictures. However is does not look really wide from what I can tell. I had seen a previous photo that shows the tapped holes in the top of the brake and in that photo you could see the width better. Slab style brakes with the side ports work very well at reducing recoil. American Precision Arms in Georgia has a set of brakes that are excellent and I run one on my 300RUM. The first port (closest to the shooter) comes out 90 degrees. The remaining ports are all angled back at 45 degrees towards the shooter to direct gases rearward and pull the rifle away from your shoulder further mitigating the recoil. It is a smart design.

Edit: Check out post # 53 in the other thread about the Christensen Rifles. Justin put up photos of several Christensen Rifles and you can see the width of the brake and compare it to the previous style brake. It looks like it may be just slightly wider than the barrel but not by much.
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?38480-Christensen-arms-ridgeline/page3#top

Last edited:

Its about an 1/8 inch wider than the barrel. Its not flared out.

Had several PMs on the brakes(slayer) weight. Its 1.9 oz on my scale.

Back